2011 National Conference & 70th Anniversary Theme/Logo Contest

Started by CAP Producer, December 29, 2010, 03:47:29 PM

MSG Mac

Quote from: Ned on April 11, 2011, 06:07:50 PM
If it helps, I hear the MC for the banquet will be amusing . . . .
It's an awards Banquet. I'm not getting an award and I don't know anyone who is. It also requires an extra night at the hotel. By the time it's over I will have driven to Atlanta or further.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

a2capt

Seriously, what can we do to raise the point and gauge if there are others that think as the majority seem to here .. that the Triangle-Thingy just sucks and needs to go?

Set up a survey/petition and then actually do something with the results if there's enough? What?

JC004

I fear it is likely to be like other issues there have been on which there was probably a large member consensus - for example, that CAP has been changing the uniform WAY to often with total disregard for the costs to the members in a recession.  There was EXTENSIVE complaining and still is.  Some people have taken it to their National Board members - I know of at least, I don't know, a dozen or more.  Some have complained to MULTIPLE National Board members.  They haven't stopped - just slowed for a while.  Maybe the calm before the storm. 

It's their prerogative to dictate policy as they see fit within the Constitution and Bylaws.  They do that.  It's the members' prerogative to vote with their feet and many, many have.  That's the sad part of it all.  I don't know that many have left as a result of uniforms.  We probably wouldn't want them if they did.  BUT, many leave for the attitudes behind the uniform changes and all the rest (Triangle Thingy, etc.).  That is, the total lack of direction, of published goals, "industry" standards, common professional practice...  It's arbitrary and people don't follow arbitrary - people follow causes.  That's when I lead something (with many non-profits, my own organization, and otherwise), I make a cause of it.  Reference: Kill The Triangle Thingy.

addo1

Quote from: Ned on April 11, 2011, 06:07:50 PM
If it helps, I hear the MC for the banquet will be amusing . . . .

Ah, yes indeed sir. Yes indeed.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: JC004 on April 15, 2011, 04:43:21 AMIt's their prerogative to dictate policy as they see fit within the Constitution and Bylaws.  They do that.  It's the members' prerogative to vote with their feet and many, many have.  That's the sad part of it all.  I don't know that many have left as a result of uniforms.  We probably wouldn't want them if they did.  BUT, many leave for the attitudes behind the uniform changes and all the rest (Triangle Thingy, etc.).  That is, the total lack of direction, of published goals, "industry" standards, common professional practice...  It's arbitrary and people don't follow arbitrary - people follow causes.  That's when I lead something (with many non-profits, my own organization, and otherwise), I make a cause of it.  Reference: Kill The Triangle Thingy.
Personally I don't have any problem with the new Triangle emblem to be used only in selected circumstances.  What I'm still waiting for is the public publication of CAP's short, medium, & long term goals and how we as an organization will achieve these objectives.  It would seem to me will all these these board meeting & travel expenses in high priced hotels that there would be a clear set of objectives set forth overall, and communicated effectively to the membership.   Have I missed this somewhere in all the housekeeping administrative mumbo jumbo that most of these meetings seem to produce ??? :-[
RM     

JC004

Why have a limited-use logo?

Seriously...CAP has the most fragmented and inconsistent brand of any non-profit of its size that I've ever seen.  I've been studying non-profits for a long time and dealt with many.  I've studied their marketing and all extensively.  I see nothing like this in an organization of CAP's size and I can't think of a smaller one (except maybe some tiny local groups) offhand that has such a terrible time with its brand (or lack thereof).

Across the board, CAP's national leadership needs to use something like my rules of non-profit management: engage your people - communicate clearly - make it simple - make it matter.  They need to unify things too.  Having NHQ doing its own thing, changing the organization's brand randomly (and often) after 10 minutes in Microsoft Paint and all of that crap has to go.  There are some departments like Cadet Programs that put out great things but overall, there needs to be an overhaul, unification, goals, all that.

JC004

What can CAP learn from a cartoon?  A lot on the topic of uniforms and the uniform branding of an organization.  Start the video at 5:35. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92KZNSt5j2U

FW

Quote from: JC004 on April 16, 2011, 12:47:31 AM
Why have a limited-use logo?

Across the board, CAP's national leadership needs to use something like my rules of non-profit management: engage your people - communicate clearly - make it simple - make it matter.  They need to unify things too.  Having NHQ doing its own thing, changing the organization's brand randomly (and often) after 10 minutes in Microsoft Paint and all of that crap has to go.  There are some departments like Cadet Programs that put out great things but overall, there needs to be an overhaul, unification, goals, all that.

A good thought for August 20st at about 9:30pm.... ;)