2011 National Conference & 70th Anniversary Theme/Logo Contest

Started by CAP Producer, December 29, 2010, 03:47:29 PM

CAP Producer

The following E-mail went out to CAP's Wing and Region PAOs. Please help spread the word about this contest!

QuoteGreetings,

CAP is looking for your help and creativity!

We invite you to submit your idea for a theme and/or a logo for the 2011 National Conference that will be held in Louisville, Ky., Aug. 17-20, as well as for the 70th anniversary of CAP's founding. The challenge is to tie your National Conference theme/logo to CAP's 70th anniversary, which will also be celebrated in 2011.

Please e-mail your entry to paa@capnhq.gov no later than Feb. 1, 2011. Please type "theme/logo" in the subject line of the e-mail and include your full name, rank, CAPID, full mailing address and e-mail address in your entry.
This contest is open to all CAP members.

Members with winning entries will receive a free registration to the 2011 National Conference.The 2011 theme and logo will be announced on the VolunteerNow website, http://www.capvolunteernow.com, by April 15.

Happy New Year and good luck!

Regards,

Steve Cox
Public Affairs Manager
Civil Air Patrol National Headquarters
AL PABON, Major, CAP

RiverAux

Hopefully this conference theme won't be transforming into yet another new motto/tagline/whatever as that seems to be what happened in the past. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on December 29, 2010, 04:55:32 PM
Hopefully this conference theme won't be transforming into yet another new motto/tagline/whatever as that seems to be what happened in the past.

It shouldn't, since it is not a "branding" this as much as a commemorative.  Think of the State quarters series form the US mint.  The placing of the State mottos and symbols, also based on a contest, did not fundamentally change the symbolic icons of the US.  No more than the logos of the Olympics (like Sam the Olympic Eagle) took away from the monikers of the Olympics.

It would be foolish to make a big deal or read anything into this and will be a wasted effort to take issue with it.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

James Shaw

I like the idea and think it will give the members an opportunity to submit something. I will probably try to think  of something myself and submit it.

Hats off to NHQ and the opportunity!  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

vento

I am sure a reinforced version of The Triangle Thingy will be the absolute winner.  >:D

JC004

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

A.Member

Quote from: Pylon on January 04, 2011, 06:35:34 AM
How about this for a logo?

I think I'll submit it.
I thought about that one as well but decided on the one below given that it is our actual emblem, despite the fact that it doesn't appear anywhere in the media kit on our site.  :-\ :

Good luck and may the best man win! :)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

JC004

It's best not to use them because they are official and promote proper branding and consistency/uniformity.  You don't want that happening.

BuckeyeDEJ

Al -- there will be a submission from Clearwater, Fla., that I think all will be pleased with. :)

That said, the only thing I would say to all of you is that the logo and 70th anniversary celebration should drive any conference theme, and not vice versa. And the logo should be derived from symbols we already have -- and that are already ingrained into our history and heritage.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

DakRadz

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on January 05, 2011, 06:15:27 AM
Al -- there will be a submission from Clearwater, Fla., that I think all will be pleased with. :)

That said, the only thing I would say to all of you is that the logo and 70th anniversary celebration should drive any conference theme, and not vice versa. And the logo should be derived from symbols we already have -- and that are already ingrained into our history and heritage.
Careful with that language, sir. That's just vague enough to get us in a mess.

Technically, the Triangle Thingy could be seen as "derived" from symbols we already have...

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: DakRadz on January 05, 2011, 07:46:41 AM
Technically, the Triangle Thingy could be seen as "derived" from symbols we already have...

There's a big difference between exercising our heritage emblems and mangling them.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

a2capt

I certainly get the distinct impression that .. the Triangle-Thingy isn't well liked at all .. 7 out of 10 PAO's so far, won't use it. ;) They would probably get annoyed if we all submitted the original seal or derivates of it, but it would make a statement  if it got logged and reported ...

JC004

Quote from: a2capt on January 06, 2011, 08:02:02 AM
I certainly get the distinct impression that .. the Triangle-Thingy isn't well liked at all .. 7 out of 10 PAO's so far, won't use it. ;) They would probably get annoyed if we all submitted the original seal or derivates of it, but it would make a statement  if it got logged and reported ...

The 3 PAOs paid by NHQ don't count.  When I checked the wing sites, 52 out of 52 were lacking a Triangle Thingy.  I believe none of the region sites had it.  The national site only had it sometimes - like in those little ad-type things.  Whatever crap was spewed about organizations changing logos from time to time, they missed important pieces like actual use of the new logo.

I'm no good with creating graphics, so PLEASE, folks - I beg of you - DON'T make something like the CAP Monopoly House Logo. 

RiverAux

Quote from: JC004 on January 07, 2011, 09:03:57 PM
Whatever crap was spewed about organizations changing logos from time to time, they missed important pieces like actual use of the new logo.
Thank god.

RADIOMAN015

Gee I always thought mile stones for organization were 25, 50, 75, 100, etc years.  Why is 70 being something so special ???
RM

SarDragon

CAP has been celebrating every five years since I joined. My first celebration was the 25th anniversary.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

I've made a point of trying to attend on Friday & Saturday this year, since it's within reasonable driving distance. At least, I'm going to try.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750