Liaison Officer vs Agency Liaison Officer 1, 2, & 3.

Started by wuzafuzz, July 30, 2009, 06:35:54 PM

wuzafuzz

Does anyone know the functional difference between a Liaison Officer and Agency Liaison officer?  The SQTR tasks are very different, suggesting the AL roles are much higher on the food chain.  What I'm wondering is the kind of roles the different positions would actually fill at an ICP.

Is LO a glorified (not by much) MSA?
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Eclipse

Agency Liaisons work upstream with other agencies when CAP is not the lead. 

Liaison Officers can work with any other agency in response coordination.

AL's can commit CAP resources, which is why they are on a par with IC's in authority and required training. 

LO's cannot.

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

This is a very confusing issue with lots of high ranking experts willing to wade in. 

The current role of the AL is best shown by the fact the draft to CAPR 60-3 eliminates the position.  It seemed to have been created as a IC but not IC position.  The AL represented CAP on the staff of another organization running a operation.  The AL made all the decisions the IC would normally make.  However, the other organization's IC did not have to contend with a CAP IC so no feathers could be ruffled. 

The regs seemed clear on the fact you would have a AL or a IC but not both.   Last rumor I got was the AL would be replaced with a "Agency Representative" - another IC level position - to represent the CAP IC on the lead organization's staff.  The Agency Rep might also be assigned to a major customer.

I view LOs as my point of contact with a customer.  The number of LOs on a mission would depend on the number of customers.  The LO could be located at mission base or with the customer and charged with keeping the customer informed and happy.   New taskings and release of mission results would still have to go through the IC but the LO could let the customer know the current status of any requests.  Good LOs would make a great difference in a mission.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Smithsonia

Wuzafuzz.
IC and ALO are about the same at the IC3,2,1 level and AL,3,2,1 level. The SQTRS match up neatly all along the line. The reasons have been stated.

Knowing you, you want to move up on the IC ladder (when in CAP) and add AL as you go... it is easy as it is just about the same requirement in every task category.

I think we need to show up as ALOs (when working for FEMA, County Sheriffs and the like) and say, "I am with the Civil Air Patrol. How can we help?" Instead right now we say; "I'm the Civil Air Patrol IC." Which is off-putting to the FEMA and Sheriffs. It sets the wrong tone and bothers a previously established IC. So Agency Liaison outside the CAP system as in Incident Command System and Incident Commander inside CAP only.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

arajca

The NIMS term for what CAP calls the AL is Agency Representative. The LO works with the ARs to keep them happy and informed. (usually in that order)

RiverAux

I had thought one of those, don't recall which, was going to be eliminated.

sardak

The Liaison Officer is on the command staff of the lead agency along with the IC, IO and MSO. The LO is the point of contact for agency representatives (agency liaison in CAP's version of ICS). The LO often acts as the public face of incident management at meetings and for smoothing out issues with the public or other agencies when the IC is not available. The National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG) has no position task book (PTB, think SQTR) for the Liaison Officer (LOFR). FEMA has created an All-Hazards Liaison Officer PTB available here. LOFRs are chosen for their ability to be level headed smooth talkers who can solve problems.

An agency representative (AREP) (agency liaison in CAP) is the representative from a supporting or cooperating agency who reports to the LO or IC of the lead agency, and has full authority to commit resources. Neither NWCG nor FEMA has a task book for the AREP.

Currently the CAP requirements for AL and IC are functionally the same. In the draft 60-3 sent out for comment in 2008, and the bootleg copy of another draft dated 2009, the AL position has been eliminated.
2008 wording - On missions where CAP is a participating agency under the overall operational control of another agency, a CAP member qualified as an IC will serve as the agency representative or other appropriate position over CAP resources in the ICS staff.

2009 wording - CAP may be working a mission with non-CAP agencies and, in fact, may not be the lead agency. A qualified CAP IC will serve as the agency representative or point of contact for the lead agency so that CAP resources are effectively used in accordance with CAP policies and procedures.

Mike

wuzafuzz

Thanks for all the answers.  They put it in perspective.  Thank you.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."