Armed CAP Members?

Started by wwiijunky7, March 25, 2012, 11:01:17 PM

wwiijunky7

Now I realize there has been 1 thread about this already but it was awhile back...anyways how many people out there believe ONLY Senior members should be aloud to carry firearms (Pistol) as long as they pass a pre-qual set up by the wing or national level, and there state allows it? It also has to be open carry not closed! Plus only during Emergency Services operations.  Any ways I believe they should, anybody else?

thatonekid

C/MSgt Collins

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: wwiijunky7 on March 25, 2012, 11:01:17 PM
Now I realize there has been 1 thread about this already but it was awhile back...anyways how many people out there believe ONLY Senior members should be aloud to carry firearms (Pistol) as long as they pass a pre-qual set up by the wing or national level, and there state allows it? It also has to be open carry not closed! Plus only during Emergency Services operations.  Any ways I believe they should, anybody else?
No.

Your wing King can give you permissions if you need it.

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

jeders

Why? What problem does this solve?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: jeders on March 25, 2012, 11:06:38 PM
problem: Not being able to shoot someone by accident.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

thatonekid

He was asking what problem would having armed SM's solve.
C/MSgt Collins

NCRblues

Oh no...not again...

Where be the lock clock when you need it??!!
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

AngelWings

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 25, 2012, 11:07:50 PM
+1. We don't need weapons in CAP. We do not perform CSAR, so I doubt any army or insurgancy is going to fire on us. And if there is danger of things like bears and what not attacking us, then I doubt we should risk anyones lives and leave the mission to the people who carry arms has part of their duty IE Police.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Littleguy on March 25, 2012, 11:39:51 PM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 25, 2012, 11:07:50 PM
+1. We don't need weapons in CAP. We do not perform CSAR, so I doubt any army or insurgancy is going to fire on us. And if there is danger of things like bears and what not attacking us, then I doubt we should risk anyones lives and leave the mission to the people who carry arms has part of their duty IE Police.
how dare you go look for people! *bang* *bang*  >:D

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

RADIOMAN015

Well, our wing commander recently turned down ground teams carrying chain saws to clear the roads on their way to an emergency response, so I don't give much chance in him allowing all of the senior members to carry pistols. ;) :angel:

We don't need members carrying pistols on ANY mission.  IF it isn't safe we don't go, it is that simple.   
RM

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on March 26, 2012, 12:13:40 AMWell, our wing commander recently turned down ground teams carrying chain saws to clear the roads on their way to an emergency response, so I don't give much chance in him allowing all of the senior members to carry pistols.

Not remotely even the same conversation.

"That Others May Zoom"

N Harmon

If CAP is going to take on more liability with an issue where the laws vary state to state, municipality to municipality, then getting members medically trained in something further than CPR/First Aid would be more beneficial.

While I personally have no problem with competent people carrying firearms, I understand CAP's rules and sort of agree with them.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on March 26, 2012, 12:17:07 AM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on March 26, 2012, 12:13:40 AMWell, our wing commander recently turned down ground teams carrying chain saws to clear the roads on their way to an emergency response, so I don't give much chance in him allowing all of the senior members to carry pistols.

Hmm, what more dangerous a senior member with a chain saw or one with a loaded pistol ??? ;)
RM

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on March 26, 2012, 01:03:58 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 26, 2012, 12:17:07 AM

Hmm, what more dangerous a senior member with a chain saw or one with a loaded pistol ??? ;)
RM
Pistol. Don't stand next to SM BagODoughnuts when he has a chainsaw.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

davidsinn

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on March 26, 2012, 01:03:58 AM
RM

Chain saws. The hypothetical pistol would be holstered at all times unless there was a clear and present danger. The chain saw is intended to be used often.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

PHall

Chainsaws are not dangerous unless the operator is wearing a Hockey Goalie mask. ;)

EMT-83

And you're safe until the creepy music starts.

abdsp51

Or unless you're in a Texas town in the middle of no where.

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

bflynn

There was an AD 68 years ago and therefore CAP members do not need a firearm?

I don't argue for the need, but I think that's a little bit of a leap.

jimmydeanno

Maybe it would have been more relevant if it had happened yesterday, but I think you're missing the point.  CAP had weapons when our mission demanded it.  Guarding airports against saboteurs required our members to have access to a weapon.

Today, our mission portfolio includes absolutely nothing that would necessitate the regular carrying of firearms, as though we are some kind of militia.  It sends the wrong message about our organizations role and mission, and only leaves the potential of something like the 68 year old article I posted above from happening.

I have been on ground team missions where we stumbled across meth labs setup on public land.  In those instances, had the "owner" of the lab been present, us carrying a firearm and being in camp would probably have escalated the encounter into something our organization is not prepared to handle.

YMMV
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Private Investigator

In 2012 I can see where we do not need to be armed.

Years ago a former member wanted to get his original rank reinstated and one of the documents was his CCW permit issued by the County Sheriff in 1952 to Major XXX XXXX, CAP to carry out his CAP duties. I doubt a Sheriff or a Chief would do that today.

davidsinn

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 26, 2012, 03:47:05 AM
This is why we don't need our members carrying firearms:

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=4519.msg88043#msg88043

You realize that people in the military shoot each other on occasion too, right? There is also a world of difference between quietly carrying a concealed weapon and standing guard duty?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

bflynn

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 26, 2012, 04:42:43 AM
I have been on ground team missions where we stumbled across meth labs setup on public land.  In those instances, had the "owner" of the lab been present, us carrying a firearm and being in camp would probably have escalated the encounter into something our organization is not prepared to handle.

I've got news for you - whether you have a firearm or not, if you stumble across a drug lab when the owner is there, it will probably escalate.

A firearm is a tool.  Properly used, it is the same as a shovel or an axe.  Creating fear about it causes people to be unable to use it properly.  They are to be respected, but not feared.

As to whether or not a SM can carry concealed on a mission - if it were up to me, I'd allow it, but nobody is asking me.

AngelWings

If there is a huge danger to a search team of possibly running into a drug lab, either ask for a police officer who will be carrying to be assigned to the search team or just let the police do what they do. We are Civil Air Patrol, not Pararescue Jumpers.

lordmonar

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on March 26, 2012, 12:13:40 AM
Well, our wing commander recently turned down ground teams carrying chain saws to clear the roads on their way to an emergency response, so I don't give much chance in him allowing all of the senior members to carry pistols. ;) :angel:

We don't need members carrying pistols on ANY mission.  IF it isn't safe we don't go, it is that simple.   
RM
Why did anyone ask the wing commander for permission to carry tools!   :o
As for carrying weapons.......unless you are like in Alaska where the bear threat is real and dangerous.....NO weapons in ES.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RogueLeader

Quote from: lordmonar on March 26, 2012, 07:16:05 PM

As for carrying weapons.......unless you are like in Alaska where the bear threat is real and dangerous.....NO weapons in ES.

I don't really want to run into wolves in Wyoming or anywhere in the Midwest for that matter.  It's not just bears that can cause trouble.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

lordmonar

Quote from: RogueLeader on March 26, 2012, 07:53:29 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on March 26, 2012, 07:16:05 PM

I don't really want to run into wolves in Wyoming or anywhere in the Midwest for that matter.  It's not just bears that can cause trouble.
Like I said...and as the regs support.....wing commanders have the authority to allow if the threat is there....I don't know wyoming....but I bet the WYWG CC does.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

bflynn

Quote from: Littleguy on March 26, 2012, 07:09:18 PM
If there is a huge danger to a search team of possibly running into a drug lab, either ask for a police officer who will be carrying to be assigned to the search team or just let the police do what they do. We are Civil Air Patrol, not Pararescue Jumpers.

With regards to running into a drug location.  There is a very, very low chance of running into a drug lab or drug farm - that could be a still in my part of the country.  There is a very, very high danger if you do while the owner is there.  The chances are the same every time you go into the woods where you haven't been before, so you'll never take an officer with you (if they even wanted to go).

The organization does not allow you to carry the tool that would help you in the event of being chased.  So you have to settle for the next thing, which is your legs.

In the end, it has to be a risk that you just accept, like the chance of mechanical failure while flying.

mikebank

I can see a Commissioned Law Enforcement Officer who is a CAP member being authorized to carry a firearm...maybe.

Otherwise I don't think any Wing Commander would authorize it, just from the liability aspect(who would pay for it, if there was a screw up).
1st Lt Michael Bankson
Safety Officer
NCR-MO-089
Former EM1, U.S. Navy

JayT

[/quote

I work as a paramedic in a bad area, and I have no need to urge to carry............why would a CAP SM ever need to carry? Give an example where it would make a difference.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Major Carrales

All things being equal, an armed CAP is not something I see happening.  Our mission does not call for it for what we currently do.

In fact, there are few situations at present that would require such need for a weapon.  We do not need to use deadly force to guard our assets.  Very few mission bases...correction, NO MISSION BASES, for SAR and other activities are in danger of being "over run."   On rare occasions where an ELT mission stumbles upon DRUG TRAFFICKERS, or the like, with automatic weapons it is unlikely that a hand gun would do more than draw fire to a group of CAP seniors and cadets resulting in casualties.

There is a greater chance that someone would occasionally be injured in an accident involving a fire arm, ending the program.

One would have to end this thought process looking to find a specific reason to carry the weapon as part of a CAP activity?

However, and this is speculative, if at some future time the mission were widened to something that might require it...I think that would be dependent on far to many caveats to post here.   
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Major Lord

Well, you never know. Who would have guessed that the department of education would be federally armed? How about the armed branch of the library of Congress? Here is a more complete list:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/03/robert-farago/full-list-of-armed-federal-agencies/

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Flying Pig

All federal agencies has Special Agents.  Usually for fraud and internal security specific to their own areas.  I although I think some are pretty lame.......

God help you if the US Office of Fisheries department of law enforcement gets a hold of you!

spacecommand

Off topic:

Many of those in particular are not investigators/special agents (1801s, 1811s etc), but rather Federal Police Officers (0083s). 
They get training (most of them) at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, and it is mainly a armed security force role they take in protecting buildings and properties (they do a lot more of course, but that's the basic of it).  For example, FBI property is protected by the "FBI Police" which is different from FBI Special Agents.  Similar to Uniformed Division of Secret Service vs Secret Service Special Agents.   The Library of Congress, the US Mint, the Smithsonian Zoo etc etc most have somesort of Armed Police-Security force (US Mint Police, Library of Congress Police etc).

-----

Back on topic, the topic of arming CAP members has been beaten to death already.  Someone's ORM is off the charts when going into an area with attacking vampires.

Flying Pig

^I am my agencies 1033 Program head.  I will work on procuring CAP some Jungle Mod M-60E3's.  I think we should have a ribbon for it to.  Everything always comes full circle to a uniform thread!

wuzafuzz

Quote from: spacecommand on March 31, 2012, 05:22:37 PM
Back on topic, the topic of arming CAP members has been beaten to death already.  Someone's ORM is off the charts when going into an area with attacking vampires.
Vampires?  Everyone knows zombies are a greater threat.   ;)  Even FEMA
http://blog.fema.gov/2011/05/from-cdc-preparedness-101-zombie.html

I will concede, however, that CAP should consider the ORM impact of flying near migratory routes used by vampires in bat-mode.

Arming CAP?  CAP membership does nothing to increase or decrease anyone's need to be armed. 

Heck, I even recall at least one police departments that wasn't armed: CA State Hospital Police.  I thought they were nuts (no pun intended), but that's how they operated.  I recall some investigators that weren't armed either...county welfare fraud investigators in a county I used to work for.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 31, 2012, 06:22:31 PM
^I am my agencies 1033 Program head.  I will work on procuring CAP some Jungle Mod M-60E3's.  I think we should have a ribbon for it to.  Everything always comes full circle to a uniform thread!
My commander lets us wear ABUs w/ tan boots when we use our M-60s. Uniform thread now

I don't know where you live, but we have vampires on our ORM. And zombies.

Kidding

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

SarDragon

Tick-tock. Tick-tock. Tick-tock.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: SarDragon on March 31, 2012, 07:54:25 PM
Tick-tock. Tick-tock. Tick-tock.

Might be the point of these latest posts....one "nuclear option" in a forum with strict moderators is to derail the thread and then purposely cause a lock.

In any case, if any ZOMBIES arise out of the cemetery near our school or an armed NCLB (No CHILD LEFT BEHIND...known as and pronounced "NICKELBY")  Officer from the Department of Education shows up for summary executions (executions of FEDERAL LAW that is...)...well, the cadets are well prepared for "the long haul.  lol
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Flying Pig

Quote from: wuzafuzz on March 31, 2012, 06:33:13 PM
Quote from: spacecommand on March 31, 2012, 05:22:37 PM
Vampires?  Everyone knows zombies are a greater threat.   ;)  Even FEMA
http://blog.fema.gov/2011/05/from-cdc-preparedness-101-zombie.html

I will concede, however, that CAP should consider the ORM impact of flying near migratory routes used by vampires in bat-mode.

Arming CAP?  CAP membership does nothing to increase or decrease anyone's need to be armed. 

Heck, I even recall at least one police departments that wasn't armed: CA State Hospital Police.  I thought they were nuts (no pun intended), but that's how they operated.  I recall some investigators that weren't armed either...county welfare fraud investigators in a county I used to work for.

Well hey...in CAWG dont CAP Pilots have to do some sort of ORM if they are going to just fly NEAR a restricted area?  All its going to take is for one CAP plane to kill a California Condor and its all over kids.    I guess CAP forgot that your actually allowed to fly right up to them :) 

Rules to remind us of the rules are awesome!

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

spacecommand

Zombies popping out of a grave in a cemetery is stuff you see in Hollywood.   A cemetery might be one of the calmer places during a zombie apocalypse.  (In theory, rotting corpses would have a heck of a time crawling out of a casket with six feet of dirt on top of them).