www.cadetcommandertools.org

Started by Eclipse, July 16, 2014, 07:20:02 PM

Eclipse

http://www.cadetcommandertools.org/

Found this by accident today.  Haven't reviewed the specifics of the docs provided, but looks like an interesting resource.

The question continues as to why NHQ isn't providing these types of sites and resources.

"That Others May Zoom"

Salty

Probably because it's easier for NHQ to rely on motivated members to fill the voids.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

THRAWN

It's too bad that he'll probably get a C and D order...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

a2capt

It was posted on here a while back, it's grown quite a bit. C&D would just be stupid. Utterly stupid and boneheaded.

jeders

Quote from: THRAWN on July 16, 2014, 07:35:42 PM
It's too bad that he'll probably get a C and D order...

Why would he get a C&D, he's not selling anything or using the CAP name/logos in order to personally profit.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JeffDG

Quote from: Salty on July 16, 2014, 07:29:50 PM
Probably because it's easier for NHQ to rely on motivated members to fill the voids.
NHQ is more interested in shutting down member-created tools than they are in creating tools themselves.

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on July 16, 2014, 07:39:21 PM
It was posted on here a while back, it's grown quite a bit. C&D would just be stupid. Utterly stupid and boneheaded.

I didn't see it on a search.  Did the URL change.

Looks to be mostly useful spreadsheets and related docs to running a unit.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: JeffDG on July 16, 2014, 07:53:01 PM
NHQ is more interested in shutting down member-created tools than they are in creating tools themselves.
I got to call BS on that.

There are lots of member owned tools out there that NHQ has not shut down.

I agree that NHQ is not really interested in taking one/buying out some of these member created tools and using them in place of their legacy systems....but that is another story.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Tim Medeiros

Do you have evidence of this?

I ask because this, http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/best-practices-exchange/  is loaded with member developed tools and the first entry in the Help Desk KB is a well known member developed tool, https://capnhq.crmdesk.com/answer.aspx?aid=4909&back=search.aspx%3F.  These seem to fly in the face of your comment about NHQ being more interested in shutting down member-created tools.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Eclipse

^ I think "loaded" might be a stretch.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on July 17, 2014, 04:35:48 PM
^ I think "loaded" might be a stretch.

Not this morning.

*pours another cup o morning joy*
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

JeffDG

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on July 17, 2014, 03:18:26 PM

I ask because this, http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/best-practices-exchange/  is loaded with member developed tools and the first entry in the Help Desk KB is a well known member developed tool, https://capnhq.crmdesk.com/answer.aspx?aid=4909&back=search.aspx%3F.  These seem to fly in the face of your comment about NHQ being more interested in shutting down member-created tools.

I guess you were never in the middle of a mission when NHQ decided to change a field somewhere in WMIRS for the sole purpose of breaking IMU then.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: JeffDG on July 17, 2014, 06:34:12 PM

I guess you were never in the middle of a mission when NHQ decided to change a field somewhere in WMIRS for the sole purpose of breaking IMU then.
You got me there, I was never in the middle of a mission, especially running IMU, where NHQ deemed there was a security risk (no, I don't know what the risk was) with how IMU was entering the information.  However, I do recall NHQ working with the developer of IMU to get things back on track.

Edit: source of my info, https://www.capnhq.gov/news/Documents/IMU_Interface_Update.pdf as you see, it wasn't just some one-off decision to kill the link.
1577/2811

JeffDG

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on July 17, 2014, 08:21:27 PM

You got me there, I was never in the middle of a mission, especially running IMU, where NHQ deemed there was a security risk (no, I don't know what the risk was) with how IMU was entering the information.  However, I do recall NHQ working with the developer of IMU to get things back on track.

No, I mean when NHQ would just change stuff like field names, for no actual purpose, in order to make IMU break.  Generally happening right before any major exercise in an IMU-using wing.  Multiple times, as a matter of fact.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: JeffDG on July 17, 2014, 08:27:18 PM
Quote from: Tim Medeiros on July 17, 2014, 08:21:27 PM

No, I mean when NHQ would just change stuff like field names, for no actual purpose, in order to make IMU break.  Generally happening right before any major exercise in an IMU-using wing.  Multiple times, as a matter of fact.
With that, I've got nothing, other than I'm fairly sure it wasn't specifically to break IMU, unless they've actually come out and said that.  It could very well be that certain fields were not lining up with certain naming conventions or it was causing something else to break.

Considering Pete Andersen was invited a number of times to National Conference to do training on how to use IMU, one could argue that they in fact supported it.
1577/2811

TexasCadet

I was looking at some of the documents, and some of them said that they required data from CAPWATCH. I wanted to know if cadets were allowed access to it. I can download it from my eServices account, but is it something cadets are authorized to download? I'm a little leery of downloading it because I don't want to get into a mess of trouble from NHQ.

Huey Driver

Previously restricted modules in eServices will now be accessible to cadets with certain duty-assignments in eServices - "You should expect to see them sometime in the future" ...enough said.

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

TexasCadet

Quote from: JerseyCadet on July 17, 2014, 09:06:46 PM
Previously restricted modules in eServices will now be accessible to cadets with certain duty-assignments in eServices - "You should expect to see them sometime in the future" ...enough said.

Since I can see it, does that mean I am allowed to use it?

lordmonar

Quote from: TexasCadet on July 17, 2014, 09:12:29 PM

yes.   It is just a data base.  Have fun.  Please remember that some of the information is FOR OFFICAL USE ONLY and there may be Personally Identifiable Information (PII) and should be controlled accordingly.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

TexasCadet

Quote from: lordmonar on July 17, 2014, 09:44:22 PM
Quote from: TexasCadet on July 17, 2014, 09:12:29 PM

yes.   It is just a data base.  Have fun.  Please remember that some of the information is FOR OFFICAL USE ONLY and there may be Personally Identifiable Information (PII) and should be controlled accordingly.

I will make sure to remember. I am planning on showing my squadron commander and deputy commander for cadets the spreadsheets. I have to say, as a person who loves analyzing data, I am drooling over these spreadsheets.