Main Menu

How were you recruited?

Started by Walkman, October 09, 2012, 05:28:48 PM

How did you originally find out about CAP?

Newspaper article
4 (5.3%)
Broadcast story (TV, radio)
0 (0%)
Community event where CAP was present as volunteers
6 (7.9%)
Air show, other aviation event
11 (14.5%)
CAP presentation to group you were involved in (AOPA, BSA, etc)
1 (1.3%)
Recruiting open house (pipeline method)
1 (1.3%)
Poster, other printed media
7 (9.2%)
Facebook, social media
2 (2.6%)
Personal networking
11 (14.5%)
Direct, personal invitation to check it out from current member
27 (35.5%)
Child became cadet, you joined as well
4 (5.3%)
School event
5 (6.6%)
Cadet
23 (30.3%)
11 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Walkman

I'm working on a recruiting plan for our unit. Being in the ad/marketing field, I know how important it is to focus your efforts in the right channels. So how did you find out about CAP? What's been the most important factor in your recruiting efforts so far?

You can check up to four options. As one of those options, check whether you joined as a cadet or a SM.

Walkman

We read a local newspaper article about the local cadets going to regional color guard competition and thought my son would be interested. I ended up joining at the same time when I found out what it was.

a2capt

There was a lonely flyer on the counter at the pilot shop.

I saw where they meet, and the first meeting I went to they had Charles Bolden as a guest speaker, it was the annual open house, 11-Dec., 2001.

Майор Хаткевич

My friend joined early in the school year, 7th grade. For six months he bugged me, and instead of talking to us during lunch read some sort of booklets with a "Chappie" thing in them. I relented, went to a meeting, and have been going to meetings since April 2003 (minus college hiatus).

Go_Blue

I found out about it from a monthly volunteer listing from my unit.  For those near military bases, if you haven't reached out to the First Sergeants yet, it's definitely worth networking with their group so they can spread the word to their folks that might be interested. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

At an airshow.

However, my "recruiter"/future unit CC virtually tried to not recruit me by saying that the seniors were just there to serve as "counsellors" for the cadets (this was a composite squadron).

I'm not from Missouri, but I have a strong "show me" streak, plus I'm just plain darn stubborn at times.  I didn't let that keep me away. :P
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

jayleswo

When I was a teenager my mom phoned the local Air Force recruiter (not one of your poll choices) who put me in touch with the local CAP unit. I joined as a Cadet. Still here 33 years later.
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

rjfoxx

I was recruited by one of my patients.  (I run the Cadiac Lab @ VAMC-Wilmington, DE) in 2009.
Major Richard J Foxx, CAP
Health Service Officer - DEWG
IG Inspector - DEWG

Al Sayre

My father was a SQ/CC in the late 50's Early 60's when I was old enough to join as a cadet, he dropped me off at the meeting...  When my daughter was old enough to join as a cadet I took her to a meeting.  I rejoined to pay back a little of what I had received from the program.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Stonewall

A Navy brat and military enthusiast from a very young age, I was sitting on the school bus at the beginning of 8th grade while one of my best friends from soccer was discussing something that sounded military with another friend.  I piped in and asked what they were talking about and reluctantly, they explained what CAP was, as if they were embarrassed.  I was so pissed that 2 of my better friends never mentioned this.  They had only been in for about 2 months and had just finished their T-Flight program.  I demanded contact information and that's all she wrote. 

One of those friends is a CW-3 OH-58 Kiowa Warrior pilot and the other is a software engineer.  I still keep in close contact with them after more than 25 years in CAP and 30 years of friendship.

Short answer:  word of mouth from friends.
Serving since 1987.

RogueLeader

Did something stupid with uniforms, got called on it by the WVWG/CV, who was former AF enlisted.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Devil Doc

Long Long Long Ago in a galaxy far far away. In High School a friend of mine and JROTC cadet was in USCG Aux and CAP. I spent 4 years in JROTC, then quickly was shuffled off to Great Mistakes Illinois. I come back home did the college thing, hanging out thing. I had that itch and it was driving me crazy. I was going to join the Rescue Sqaud or Local FD, but commiting that much time can be difficult. So CAP was the calling I can use my "Combat" skills and "Trauma" skills in SAR/CERT/FEMA/Aircrew training. So, has the itch gone away? somewhat? I am hoping I get that call to go looking for a Black box in the wilderness. "So others may live"
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Flying Pig

My dad was the Chaplain.  I started going with him when I was about 9 or 10.  I PT'd, drilled, fell into formation as the last man in the last squad.  Had a grand ol' time.  Joined on my 12th birthday.

CAP4117

I was co-managing a Red Cross shelter with a volunteer from Indiana and she told me about it. Turns out she's a Lt Col in INWG. I haven't seen her since, but it would be nice to tell her the impact she had on me (if I could only remember her name!)

Garibaldi

Dad came home from work one night, told me that he wanted me to see what CAP was about, and that was that. 3 meetings later I was a cadet basic in the DeKalb County Cadet Squadron (09065), January 1981.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Critical AOA

Cadet recruitment: My parents knew about my interest in aviation so when they saw a piece in the local paper on CAP they asked if I thought I might be interested. I went to a couple of meetings, read some of the publications and joined.

Senior recruitment:  I just finally decided to get back in after nearly 35 years away. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

wuzafuzz

I joined twice.  First time a friend signed up as a Senior Member and convinced me it would be fun.  I became a Senior Member but dropped out after a year or two, as my job required working whenever CAP was doing stuff.

18 years later I read about CAP radio systems in Popular Communications.  It sounded like a fun way to get back into radio.  This time it stuck.  5 years later I'm a wing DC and a deputy squadron commander.   ;D
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

saleet

In 1960 a good friend of mine came to school in his CAP uniform.  I started asking him about CAP and it sounded like something I would like to do.

I went home and told my parents about CAP and they both remembered it from WWII in Morehead City, NC.  Coastal Patrol Base 21 was just across the bridge in Beaufort.

So they thought it would be a good organization to belong to so I went to my first meeting at the Annapolis Cadet Squadron in Annapolis
, MD. 

This month I celebrate my 45th year in CAP.  I did take a few years off after I retired but back now and glad to be here.

lordmonar

My option was not there.

I was a volunteer during SAR.   I met some CAP members who were also participating in the SAR and got interested in joining.
I knew about CAP before hand as my Cadet Commander in AFJROTC was a CAP cadet but I was not interested and knew very little about what they did.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

abdsp51

I initially joined back in 1994 as a cadet and I heard about it from another cadet while we both were in JROTC.  I had alot of fun I got more into ES when I moved back stateside.  I quit because of major personality conflicts and rejoined as a SM back in Feb.  I have been having alot of fun since then as well.  Now I am fixing to PCS and will hopefully still have fun down in AZ.