A cadet activity I wish we could have done

Started by flyguy06, April 24, 2009, 02:34:59 AM

flyguy06

I saw this article of a unitin my hometown and man I wish I could have gotten our CAP  cadets involved.

http://www.dobbins.afrc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123145081

DBlair

Back in NJ, we used to do this as part of encampments and also units via special arrangement in order to visit a museum or something of that nature in another state- that way, the cadets got an orientation flight in a military aircraft as well as were able to see a museum or base a state or two away instead of just the local stuff all over again. I'm not 100% sure of the details involved, but perhaps it would make a good idea for a unit or group activity.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Eclipse

Not really all that unusual - we've done 130 and 135 rides in the last couple of years and Icenine has a nice contact for transport rides.

Its mostly a matter of taking the effort to do the legwork and being willing to go to the airplane if necessary.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguy06

I wasnt saying I wish WE could do that activity. My squadron used to do it a long time ago too. I am saying I wish Dobbins ARB had incuded CAP in this day  with the JROTC cadets

notaNCO forever

If you don't have a relationship with the AFJROTC than the chances are you won't get invited to their activities. Try building a relationship and inviting them to some CAP activities. You might not realize it but CAP has allot of activities that the JROTC doesn't get chances to do and vice versa.

maverik

I went on my first 130 ride with a broken arm later I wished I hadn't gone. I would definately hate to do that ride with blues/offtopic.

on topic:
Relationships with other services, redcross,AFJROTC,local military etc. if you want cadets to do anything like this fo fun.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

flyguy06

It was actually a Dobbins ARB activity. Not a JROTC activity. The base invited the JROTC. so we need to develop a relationship withthe base, which I thought we had since our Wing Headquarters building is located on this insatllation. Our State Directors office is on this installation and the SER LO office is on this installation.