Main Menu

Drop leg panels

Started by odpatrolcap, May 05, 2015, 08:02:42 PM

odpatrolcap

I've recently seen the use of drop leg panels in CAP to hold a radio or a MOLLE pouch and was wondering what y'all think of this. What advantage is there to a drop leg? Is using one frowned upon? I don't want one myself, just curious as to why some people use them. I'm relatively new to ES (and this forum) so this may be old news to everyone here.

Holding Pattern

I have a cool workflow for this sort of thing.

Is it against regs? (Y/N)
Does it work? (Y/N)

Given most radio solutions that I've seen, this one actually sounds like it will work better than most and be both out of the way and usable. And I'm 83.1% certain it isn't against regs.

PA Guy

They are just another attempt at looking tactikool.

lordmonar

Quote from: PA Guy on May 05, 2015, 08:25:44 PM
which last time I checked not against any regulation.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PA Guy

Quote from: lordmonar on May 05, 2015, 08:30:30 PM
Quote from: PA Guy on May 05, 2015, 08:25:44 PM
which last time I checked not against any regulation.

I don't believe I said it was against regulations. The OP asked what people thought of them and I gave my opinion. Soooo, what's your point?

Flying Pig

8 years in the infantry, 18 as a cop, 7 years on SWAT, 8 years as an LE pilot, you'll  never find anything strapped to my legs. In the times that I have it's been because it was required. Wear it as high up on your upper thigh as comfort allows if you have to have one.  Individual experiences may vary

abdsp51

Wore a drop holster and magazine pouch while I was SF, it worked well for me.  But honestly in this realm it's a bit overkill.  I would never carry a radio on one that's for sure. 

NIN

While I was retired, I happened to drive by wing headquarters one day while some sort of a training exercise was going on. some kid that walked out of the door of headquarters festooned with gear. Dual drop leg pouches, some kind of a chest rig, a huge backpack, etc. he looked like he might have been en route to the North Hollywood shootout.

There is a limit to the amount of stuff you should be carrying and strapping on you. looking like the commander of the SWAT team is not the goal of ES.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Holding Pattern

I suppose this is as good a place to ask as any...

What are some good cost effective options for radio holsters? I'm assuming everyone isn't just relying on the battery belt clip...

RangerConlin

I use something like this.  It isn't the exact one, just the best photo I could find.  Its essentially a radio holder on a shoulder strap with a third short piece that keeps the radio from swinging.  Works pretty well and you can find some of the nylon ones for $20-30.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.aspx/productId/20866/FoxFire-Illuminating-Leather-Combo-Radio-Strap-Anti-Sway-Strap-and-Universal-Radio-Case/

arajca

The actual name for that is a Boston harness. I've used that or, if I'm carrying a pack, I'll put the radio on side of the pack and keep the speaker mike on the front of the left shoulder strap.

GroundHawg

My personal preference if for belt carry of my radio as opposed to chest. I carry a radio with mic daily and run the cord across my back and over shoulder. Some guys run their mic cords under arm, but we all universally belt carry.

As has been stated by Flying Pig, you will ditch the leg harnesses fairly quickly after actual use and the I look cool nonsense wears off. I was issued a really nice safariland drop leg holster and wore it for about a week before switching to a chest holster. The buckles around the leg rubbed in places you do not want rubbed by hard plastic, and it was a PITA getting in and out of vehicles and aircraft with it on.

Here are some options:
http://wolfpakleatherworks.com/radio_straps.html
http://www.infinityproducts.com/Belt_Holster_Assemblies.htm
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/radiopouches.aspx

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/category.aspx/categoryId/881/Chest-Harnesses/#/orderby/8

Slim

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on May 06, 2015, 04:43:57 PM

What are some good cost effective options for radio holsters? I'm assuming everyone isn't just relying on the battery belt clip...

I just use the belt clip for day to day use, but I have the the leather cases fitted for all of my Motorola handhelds.  I always get the high action (invert and insert), two piece case; I have several of the separate piece that goes onto the belt, so I have one that stays on my web gear belt, a separate pistol belt, one loose for regular wear, etc.  But, for 98% of what I do (including riding an ambulance), the belt clip has been just fine.  I have the metal porta-clips and the Boston Leather radio strap that I might use if the mood fits me.

If you're talking about the CAP issued EFJs, the cheapest/best option is to check Raine Industries, I'm sure they have something that will work.

To tie into the topic at hand, I would never think about putting a radio on a drop leg panel.  If it's on a strap or on my belt (clip or case), it can stay there.  With a drop leg, you'd have to remove it or suffer numerous broken antennas or antenna connectors.

Slim

sarmed1

I have used just about every radio carry location out there (except the drop leg, it just seems dumb to me)
Chest rig (contera chest harness), I like this one for technical and wilderness work
Boston/fire strap-this is my usual fire and EMS carry
Mounted on the back of the tactical vest-this is the stupidist: I cant adjust anything from channel to volume without buddy assitance
Shoulder harness (it looks like a pistol holster)its when working inthe flight suit without the survival vest,  it works but only because non of the other options are good
Elsewhere on a survival vest (currently the pistol holster actually)
Belt mounted-used to be daily EMS work, but currently in the same belt postion on the tactical vest (for the above reason)

The tac vest is the only place I have drop legs, and they are a benefit and a curse at the same time, its another way to carry gear upfront where I can get to it easily, but they are still bulky and moderately uncomfortable.  Helo and APC experience has taught me to where them shifted more towards the front/top of my thigh to avoid getting snagged on seats and other team members (and I usually try to keep the buckles out of the inner thigh area too...)

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

BFreemanMA

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on May 06, 2015, 04:43:57 PM

I wear a duty belt that has radio holster and other often-used items (compass, notepad, pencils, etc) distributed across it. That or a vest seem like good options for radios and any other often-used gear. I have my shoulder mic clipped to one of my backpack straps. It works for me when I'm doing an exercise or event.

If I'm in as flight crew, I just toss the HT in my flight bag without any bells or whistles. It would be rare to have a CAP bird go down and rarer still to not be able to communicate my position to someone else before it happens, but I like the insurance policy it gives me.  :D
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron