Main Menu

Google Earth Pro

Started by Spaceman3750, November 08, 2011, 02:03:13 PM

Spaceman3750

My squadron recently received a 1-year license for Google Earth Pro in conjunction with our Google Apps for Education approval (the IT folks applied for the "grant" when they applied for apps for education). My question is if anyone is doing anything cool or worthwhile with Google Earth Pro that can't be done with regular Google Earth.

Eclipse

We can get Pro free with Apps?   SUITE!

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on November 08, 2011, 03:53:02 PM
We can get Pro free with Apps?   SUITE!

Apparently you can apply for a "grant" of some sort at the same time you apply for Apps. They gave us a license good for 1 year from activation, but I don't know what happens after that.

JeffDG

I can't remember whether it's "Pro" or "Enterprise" functionality, but the "Import" function is incredibly helful.

For example, for our Wing Conference this year, our DC gave me a list of who had radios, and where the repeaters and such were.  I was able to import, based on both street address or lat/long, into GE and georeference the data.

If you have an Import option under the file menu, you're good.\

The other thing you have is the ability to export/print maps at a higher resolution.

ProdigalJim

You might also find it's a good way to get comfortable with all the advanced features, which is going to be increasingly important as we do more with GIIEP. GIIEP relies on the Google Earth Enterprise to build up a common operational picture.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...