Main Menu

Linux for CAP Computers

Started by NC Hokie, March 30, 2010, 11:45:29 PM

NC Hokie

My squadron has some old iron that is useless as a modern Windows box that is more than adequate for some of the more recent versions of Linux.  I'd like to make the switch, but need some answers from someone that has already gone this route for CAP use.  Here goes:

1) I know Linux doesn't really need an AV program, but I don't want any Linux boxes to become gateways that let viruses into the network.  Are there any good AV programs that are relatively simple to setup, use, and maintain?

2) Do the existing CAP web-based services (eServices, ES testing, Cadet Promotions, etc.) play nice with Linux?  How about the new Officers Basic Course?

3) How difficult is it to configure Linux to play the common Windows media formats?

Thanks in advance for the help!
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

a2capt

I've used Ubuntu/Firefox without major hassle for all of the above.

As for AV, there's AVG Free. Of course, the virus problem isn't going to be on there, but if you want to make sure that you're not accused of handing someone else one, you can say "I have AVG on here.."

VLC takes care of practically every video format, and there are ways to get WiMP on there with wine or similar for when it's needed.

Add OpenAwfice and you can PPT the cadets to death, too, from the same hardware.

The Ubuntu discs boot as a LiveCD so you can actually go and do most all of what you want to try out without even installing anything. Download the Karmic ISO, burn, boot .. 

Eclipse

If you use Ubuntu almost everything you need is working out of the box - I've had no issues with Firefox and CAP websites. 

I use ClamAV to scan drives from windows machines - works pretty well.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

You should use that fun CAP-theme Linux (I forget which distro) that was floating around.   :)  I think that I lost the disk.   >:(

JayCraswell

I gave that distro a try but it was still pretty huge.   If you want a really nice Linux thats screaming fast on even ancient hardware give PUPPY linux a shot.  Its geared for people used to Windows (The GUI) so you don't have to relearn everything.  It can be run totally off a CDROM or installed on the harddisc.   I've got it going right now on an old Pent III (500mhz)  It take less then a minute to power up and 8 seconds to shut down.  The official distro has most of what you need.  They make a nice user created version called (I think?) Puppy Crypt that includes things like Skype etc.

All the Distos come with tons of software to make it ready to roll.  Thunderbird, FireFox or Seamonkey,  Several WPs like Open Office, media players, xchat, Wine (To run WinDOZE junk), database (open office), PDF software, Scanner software, Gimp for Graphics, NVU for HTML editing, MTPaint, TrueCrypt, a routine to r/w Windows Shares (Ethernet) and a lot more.

For SURE give it a shot before you decide.  You can also put it on a USB stick pretty easily and try it on a computer to see if its snappy enough.   If its not?  I would be really shocked.

HGjunkie

http://www.[darn]smalllinux.org/
can't say anything about compatibilaty, but you can run it within windows to try it out.
(replace rn with mn)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF