Main Menu

GLR RSC - 12-18 Jul 09

Started by Eclipse, July 02, 2009, 07:19:12 PM

davidsinn

Quote from: IceNine on July 19, 2009, 05:17:09 PM

I think I've heard stories about him. My new Commander has spent 10 years at Grissom and is still their safety officer.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on July 19, 2009, 05:53:43 PM

I think I've heard stories about him. My new Commander has spent 10 years at Grissom and is still their safety officer.

I'm sure they were all positive and speak to his professionalism.  Let's be nice about people the 09 RSC had no involvement with - if you want to walk that road take it to PM please.

BTW - as an aside, we had no issue whatsoever getting on base or shopping at the BX (though its pretty small).  The USMC building we were in was really nice, and the Marines working there seemed to be able to maintain their dignity and still say "Sir" once in a while to us without Armageddon storming down (it was appreciated but not expected).  Besides, I'm getting to see an age on the horizon where I expect to be called "Sir" as these young hipsters help me with my walker because of their age (and mine), not the military affiliation.   >:D

We saw Airmen down there in both BDU's and ABU's.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on July 19, 2009, 06:00:35 PMWe saw Airmen down there in both BDU's and ABU's.[/i]

Not really surprising. The mandatory wear date is still 1 October 2011 for the ABU's.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on July 19, 2009, 06:07:25 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 19, 2009, 06:00:35 PMWe saw Airmen down there in both BDU's and ABU's.[/i]

Not really surprising. The mandatory wear date is still 1 October 2011 for the ABU's.

Yep - but the background noise here and elsewhere is that no one wears them and you can't get them anymore.  From my completely circumstantial surveys it looks like about 25% of active duty are still in them and 50/50 for Reservists and Guard.  (I have no ability to support those numbers).

(Let's not make this a uniform thread - I apologize for taking it there...)

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on July 19, 2009, 06:16:08 PM
Quote from: PHall on July 19, 2009, 06:07:25 PM

Yep - but the background noise here and elsewhere is that no one wears them and you can't get them anymore.  From my completely circumstantial surveys it looks like about 25% of active duty are still in them and 50/50 for Reservists and Guard.  (I have no ability to support those numbers).

(Let's not make this a uniform thread - I apologize for taking it there...)

Okay, getting off the uniform bandwagon, did ya learn anything?  Was it worth burning vacation time for?

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on July 19, 2009, 06:00:35 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on July 19, 2009, 05:53:43 PM

I'm sure they were all positive and speak to his professionalism.  Let's be nice about people the 09 RSC had no involvement with - if you want to walk that road take it to PM please.

BTW - as an aside, we had no issue whatsoever getting on base or shopping at the BX (though its pretty small).  The USMC building we were in was really nice, and the Marines working there seemed to be able to maintain their dignity and still say "Sir" once in a while to us without Armageddon storming down (it was appreciated but not expected).  Besides, I'm getting to see an age on the horizon where I expect to be called "Sir" as these young hipsters help me with my walker because of their age (and mine), not the military affiliation.   >:D

We saw Airmen down there in both BDU's and ABU's.

That Marine building is a very nice facility isn't it? I've been to an ES activity there and it was just about perfect for what we were doing.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on July 19, 2009, 09:21:13 PM
Okay, getting off the uniform bandwagon, did ya learn anything?  Was it worth burning vacation time for?

Yes, though not necessarily always in the direct sense of the classroom setting.

I was a little disappointed that many of the classes were too tactical for a Region-level training course, being more appropriate for SLS/CLC-level training.

The wing conference planning exercise was a worthwhile effort, as was the speech and 50/50 on all the writing projects.  One would like to argue that Majors who are running units would be able to string a few sentences together in a military format, but sadly we all know that is not universally the case.

As is always the case, the networking and hallway conversations were priceless, likely generating relationships that will benefit our respective wings for years to come.

There are things I would absolutely do differently, as well as placing emphasis more in other areas and at a more strategic level, but I also saw some things in myself, in the context of CAP, that made me question if my focus is proper (I tend to want to stay in the work / pro lane, and out of the social aspects).  Ice and I spoke several times about this exact issue.

On Monday I was frustrated, and by Wednesday I was sleep deprived and trying to figure out how I was going to get everything done by Friday - after all it'd have been somewhat of a kick in the pants to be complaining about the training and then not even be able to complete it myself.

Its one more notch on my CAP belt, gave me a few things I wouldn't trade for anything, and a few things I know not to repeat myself.

So yes, it was worth it, as long as you are capable of coloring quietly sometimes and placing yourself "there" instead of trying to change the universe.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on July 20, 2009, 03:07:27 PM
I was a little disappointed that many of the classes were too tactical for a Region-level training course, being more appropriate for SLS/CLC-level training.

That was my "complaint" about RSC.  The opening statement was "This course is designed to make you better squadron commanders and unit staff members."

My first thought was, "I thought that is what SLS, CLC and UCC were for. Isn't Region Staff College supposed to prepare you to be on Region and Wing staff?"

But I think that it emphasizes the disparity between the expectations of those courses and the execution from the local leadership.  Even more disappointing is the fact that at RSC and NSC the "wear your uniform properly" discussions still have to be made.  They still have to talk about saluting military personnel, not getting arrested, etc.

I was told that at NSC last year one of the "full birds" had to be told that he probably shouldn't be keeping apples in his blues shirt pockets.  Good Grief.

Now, this isn't to say that there wasn't some really good courses at RSC.  The myers-briggs was fantastic, the conflict resolution class was great, the Thunderbirds tour was great, etc.

Do I think RSC was a worthwhile investment of my time and vacation?  Yes, absolutely.  Even my employer thought so (let me take the week without using my vacation time).
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Capt_Redfox30

Quote from: IceNine on July 19, 2009, 04:30:24 AM
The biggest, warmest fuzzy you've ever seen.

You did a good job, wish I could have seen him in person.  Hope that they really liked it. 
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ