Main Menu

GLR RSC - 12-18 Jul 09

Started by Eclipse, July 02, 2009, 07:19:12 PM

Eclipse

Icenine and I are making the trek to Grissom, any other Captalkers?

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt_Redfox30

I'll be there with you!  You two sharing a room, oh boy thats going to be interesting. 
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

AlphaSigOU

Have fun at 'maggot school'!  ;D 

If billeting is available, usually you get an individual room in the BOQ. All of us were assigned individual rooms at Nellis BOQ during the week of RSC.

<- 2009 PCRSC grad
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

Ice and I bypassed the on-base housing in favor of a commercial hotel in the area.

"That Others May Zoom"

Robert Hartigan

The best part of GLRSC is the Peru Circus! :clap: I am sure others will disagree. >:( It is the best example of team work I have seen outside of the military. My advice, enjoy the trip into town, take in the street festival since you are on vacation and don't get hung up on the idea of going to the circus. What other CAP activity can you go to that has elephant ears and funnel cakes?
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

Duke Dillio

Eclipse

A few souvenirs from the last week.

The permanent HQ plaque for DSG is called the "Julius Jackson Outstanding Student Award" and has the names of the past DSGs.

Icenine (who, BTW, was elected President of the Mess and did a great job) noticed I was in esteemed company - none other than CT's own Stonewall, who was the 2003 top student.

Stone - I've got a little something to send your way.

It was a loooong week, with classes going 8-6 (including meals), and either an activity, seminar (team) work sessions, or homework every night.  At least two nights were 0200 sleeps or later.

Some of the sessions were great, some of them were somewhat basic for an RSC, but the team sessions were awesome (Go Seminar 3!  It takes both 1 & 2 to make 3!) I'd go another week to hang with those guys - they had experience and were easy to get along with.   Unpaid professionals of the highest caliber!

As always with these activities, the non-class networking is usually the most rewarding time.  I try to be cynical about this stuff, but the fact that I got emotional telling my wife about receiving my coin from Lt. Col. Jackson should tell you where it really hit me.

CAP has provided me many opportunities to make up for things in my 40's that I failed to do in my 20's.
This week I got to spend a night in an old O-Club alongside Marines, Airmen, old friends, and new-found comrades, swapping war stories, challenging for rounds, and singing along with everyone in the joint.

You can't put a price on that.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt_Redfox30

Sorry that I wasn't able to stay for the banquet.  Sounds like it went well.  Congrats on the DG award.  BTW, when did you did a cold prickly?
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt_Redfox30 on July 19, 2009, 01:57:55 AM
Sorry that I wasn't able to stay for the banquet.  Sounds like it went well.  Congrats on the DG award.  BTW, when did you did a cold prickly?

The food was great - inch thick prime rib, baked potatoes and pie - and so was the dining out stuff.

We got our buddy pretty good with his "present" during dinner.

There was a warm fuzzy and cold prickly for each person on the tables.  Sorry you couldn't stay - I'm assuming you made it to Scott w/o killing anyone or yourself?

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt_Redfox30

Food sounds good.  Thats great I wonder what you got him.  Anyone have pics of the Mother of all Fuzzys?  And yes I am here and I didnt kill anyone. 
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Eclipse

Sorry, I forgot to show you - it was a bottle of STP with the above "adjustment" to the label.   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: Eclipse on July 19, 2009, 01:02:00 AMStone - I've got a little something to send your way.

I'm interested.  Check PM.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: Robert Hartigan on July 03, 2009, 03:42:49 AM
The best part of GLRSC is the Peru Circus! :clap: I am sure others will disagree. >:( It is the best example of team work I have seen outside of the military. My advice, enjoy the trip into town, take in the street festival since you are on vacation and don't get hung up on the idea of going to the circus. What other CAP activity can you go to that has elephant ears and funnel cakes?

We did all of the above, and I'll admit I was impressed, though from a teamwork perspective, a behind the scenes deal might have meant more.

Did you see the "strange thing"?  Me, Ice, and REDFOX_30 agreed it was a buck's worth of strange, that's for sure.

Here's info on the circus:  http://www.perucircus.com/peru_amateur_circus.asp

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

The biggest, warmest fuzzy you've ever seen.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Stonewall

I remember the warm fuzzies...

I also remember that I was the youngest person there by at least 10 years.  Even though I learned a lot and did enjoy the course, that was the only activity in 22 years of service that I didn't click with anyone and make some life-long friend.  I went to class, went back to my room when I was finished and then went out to eat by myself.

Nothing bad about the course, it was great.  But nothing beats being able to hang out with someone you get along great with.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Ha.  I also just remember that the first day didn't start until 1300 because there was an air show going on at Grissom.

I went to the air show incognito and checked out the CAP display.  That's where I saw a cadet officer wearing a maroon beret and pistol belt around his waist.  I played dumb and asked him about CAP and his cool beret.  He explained that he was a part of CAP's Pararescue group that attends a course put on by real PJs.  Once you graduate you get to wear a pistol belt and maroon beret.

Killed me that his squadron (Grissom) allowed this to happen, not to mention the other handful of senior members in attendance.  Later in the course, I met the DCC of the squadron and informed her of the situation and that he was not allowed to wear the beret.  Her response?  "Yes he is, he told me he earned it at PJOC".  I suggested she attend the RSC we were there for and listen to my speech about uniforms (39-1) in CAP.
Serving since 1987.

davidsinn

Quote from: Stonewall on July 19, 2009, 03:25:04 PM
Ha.  I also just remember that the first day didn't start until 1300 because there was an air show going on at Grissom.

I went to the air show incognito and checked out the CAP display.  That's where I saw a cadet officer wearing a maroon beret and pistol belt around his waist.  I played dumb and asked him about CAP and his cool beret.  He explained that he was a part of CAP's Pararescue group that attends a course put on by real PJs.  Once you graduate you get to wear a pistol belt and maroon beret.

Killed me that his squadron (Grissom) allowed this to happen, not to mention the other handful of senior members in attendance.  Later in the course, I met the DCC of the squadron and informed her of the situation and that he was not allowed to wear the beret.  Her response?  "Yes he is, he told me he earned it at PJOC".  I suggested she attend the RSC we were there for and listen to my speech about uniforms (39-1) in CAP.

When was this?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

IceNine

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

PHall

Quote from: Stonewall on July 19, 2009, 03:25:04 PM

Actually, it would have been way funnier if a real PJ had caught him wearing the beret!  >:D

IceNine

only if you replace funnier w/ bloodier

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4