Uniform/Equipment Return from Cadets Who Quit

Started by majdomke, June 08, 2009, 05:49:54 PM

majdomke

How do the rest of the DCC's out there deal with cadets who quit? How do you get their uniforms back? Do you have a letter you send out? What do you require them to return? What do you do if they don't return them after being asked? This is just intended to be a discussion around the subject of cadet turnover and equipment returns. If you have anything valid to add to the discussion please do. If you have a form letter you use, please upload an example so we can all learn together. Thank you.

Bluelakes 13

We always call any cadet that decides not to come back.  The primary reason is to understand why they made that decision and if there is anything we could do about it.  We generally speak to the parents also, and at the end of that discussion, we ask for the return of the uniforms, especially if they have been a cadet for a short time.

Eclipse

We generally expect return of any issued uniform items if the cadet quits within the first year.  Call, email, etc.

Haven't had much issue getting them back yet, so the next step which would potentially be a civil suit or criminal theft complaint has not been an issue.  That's the big stick, but frankly not worth everyone's trouble.

Assuming a problem, I would request guidance and assistance from the Wing JA.  Generally lawyer-letters get attention.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Our cadets sign a uniform return agreement as part of their initial membership application packet.  (I stole the agreement from Col Ninness).  See attached "Cadet Agreements.pdf"

When cadets from our unit are issued anything, it is recorded on a squadron form 3.  Everything from field jackets, BDUs and boots, to a loaned set of textbooks gets recorded on the F3.   If they stop coming to meetings and the cadet call-down isn't getting a sufficient answer, generally I or the Recruiting/Retention Officer calls to find out what's up.  If they indicate they're not going to continue, we set-up a time to pick up everything they've been issued or ask them to drop it off.  Pulling the Form 3 from their file makes sure we get everything back (in case they have a second set of BDUs or some nice field gear, etc., we don't want to miss it).

I've had very good success getting uniforms back from just about every cadet who has decided CAP is not for them.  In fact, I've even encouraged them to give back their binders (which I don't really know if they have to, but I ask) so we can have a handful of extra binders on hand to loan new cadets while they await theirs in the mail from NHQ. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

majdomke

Thanks for all the great advice.. keep it coming. I was able to locate that Uniform Return Agreement in another post and will begin using it. We do fill out a form 3 for everything issued from supply. Generally, when I tell them they need to turn their equipment in, I say "anything they didn't buy themselves". This would include uniforms, insignias, manuals, binders, ID cards, etc. I generally don't have trouble getting them back, some even give back items they purchased themselves. I just wonder what to do when you do have a problem. I've got one who seems to be ignoring me right now after non-renewal in April. Thanks again.

Polecat

Quote from: jkalemis on June 08, 2009, 05:58:02 PM
We always call any cadet that decides not to come back.  The primary reason is to understand why they made that decision and if there is anything we could do about it.  We generally speak to the parents also, and at the end of that discussion, we ask for the return of the uniforms, especially if they have been a cadet for a short time.

This.

NIN

There is always a percentage... :)

BTW, Mike was quicker at finding the file than I was, but yeah, that's essentially the same thing we use. I stole that from the Minuteman Sq in MA Wing, BTW, so its technically not "mine" :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

RogueLeader

If a cadet refused to give what is the unit's, after a couple of calss were made; a simple theft complaint was made to the Police,  who returned the gear to us.  After once, we never had a problem getting stuff back.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hoorah

Quote from: RogueLeader on June 08, 2009, 10:43:16 PM
If a cadet refused to give what is the unit's, after a couple of calss were made; a simple theft complaint was made to the Police,  who returned the gear to us.  After once, we never had a problem getting stuff back.
Sorry But i have a better idea  Collections officer for each wing.

BrandonKea

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on June 09, 2009, 02:11:03 AM
How is that better?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

NIN

WIWAC, we had two brothers who quit CAP and they sold all their field gear to the local surplus store, and then laughingly told us that when we tried to collect their crap.

The county sheriff who had the conversation with mom & dad apparently had a better effect, as our stuff showed up the next week.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Chief2009

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on June 09, 2009, 02:11:03 AM

I think he was joking. ::)

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284