Leadership Reading

Started by Pylon, August 26, 2005, 05:08:36 PM

Pylon

I'd like to give various books to the cadets in my unit, and ask the cadets to read them over the course of the next few months.  I was thinking that, I'd do this in order to put some practical leadership knowledge into them and give them something to read other than their rather plain Leadership 2000 (and beyond, of course).

I know personally of a good number of books that I've read that I can give to some of them, but I was hoping perhaps the rest of you could share good leadership and inspirational books for cadets of all levels.  I'm sure there are some of you know have done this before or have been given some good books like these  :)

:)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Westernslope

My favorite book to give cadets is Sean Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens.  Many schools are using it now as well.  I give a copy to every new Cadet Commander if they do not have a copy already.

shorning

I like Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun.  It sound's funny, but I think one could turn it into a pretty interesting leadership class.  It could easily be done over a period of several meetings.

Pace

Awesome, finally someone that agrees that this is a great thought provoking book on leadership.

"Every Hun has value, even if only to serve as a bad example."
Lt Col, CAP

Major_Chuck

Quote from: Pylon on August 26, 2005, 05:08:36 PM
I'd like to give various books to the cadets in my unit, and ask the cadets to read them over the course of the next few months.  I was thinking that, I'd do this in order to put some practical leadership knowledge into them and give them something to read other than their rather plain Leadership 2000 (and beyond, of course).

I know personally of a good number of books that I've read that I can give to some of them, but I was hoping perhaps the rest of you could share good leadership and inspirational books for cadets of all levels.  I'm sure there are some of you know have done this before or have been given some good books like these  :)

:)

I thought the Patton Principles was a good book.  Don't know how appropriate it would be for CAP but I've applied some in the civilian world. 

Always do everything you ask of those you command.
George S. Patton
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Schmidty06

I think that Starship Troopers was a nifty book.  If nothing else, it was interesting and thought provoking.

Matt

Other then the CAP Regs and such which, in a sense, take place of comic books, for reading by cadets would be Catch-22.  I know most of you, unless you're a SM haven't probably read it, but it explains in a humorous sense, some of the mannerisms associated with military or paramilitary life.  Plus, it's just a good read.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Briski

JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

JC004

Quote from: Briski on May 29, 2007, 09:54:39 PM
Eh, a blast from the past is better than me creating a whole new thread, right? :P

CAP's Read to Lead Program
The Chief of Staff of the USAF's Professional Reading Program
The Commandant of the Marine Corps' Official Reading List
The Army Chief of Staff's Professional Reading List
<a href="http://home.comcast.net/~antaylor1/navopsreadinglist.html>The Chief of Naval Operations' Reading List</a>
Coast Guard Reading List 2006-2007

That should be a good start. :)

This thread deserves far more attention. (and now this will be the last post for a few months)

ZigZag911

If you'd consider showing a video, Twelve O'Clock High is a terrific discussion-starter on leadership/followership....especially for cadet officers & cadet encampment staffs.

JC004

Quote from: ZigZag911 on May 30, 2007, 04:44:31 AM
If you'd consider showing a video, Twelve O'Clock High is a terrific discussion-starter on leadership/followership....especially for cadet officers & cadet encampment staffs.

:)  love it

Tubacap

I am about halfway through "The West Point Way of Leadership"  This is a great book and highly applicable to the cadet program.  It fills in the gaps for cadets on why we do the things we do for leadership and teamwork.

I am thinking about making it a squadron level expectation for my cadet officers.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Eclipse

Starship Troopers rocks.

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

Empire (also by OSC).

Band of Brothers.

Citizen Soldiers

Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters

"That Others May Zoom"

isuhawkeye

From a more business/corporate structure Patrick Lencioni, and his Table group have written some excellent leadership and management books.  They are relatively short (about 200 pages), and they read very quickly.  Some of his more recent books are as follows

Three signs of a miserable job
http://www.tablegroup.com/books/signs/
This short story tells how managers can instill a sense of belonging,and accomplishment in their employees. 

I have read, and reviewed this book.  Enjoyhttp://isuhawkeye.typepad.com/halbrook_associatescom/2007/11/3-signs-of-a-mi.html

They have other excellent titles dealing with building teams, conducting affective meetings, and skills of quality CEO's