Who has the authority to grade cadet essay exams?

Started by SoCalCAPOfficer, November 12, 2007, 10:26:00 PM

SoCalCAPOfficer

I have a problem at my unit that maybe someone here can help me with.  I need to know regarding cadet essays who is responsible for grading them.

Is it the testing officers or the Deputy Commander for Cadets.  We have a situation where a cadet turned in an essay that was graded by the testing officers and was given a passing grade.  The Deputy Commander for Cadets read the essay and he determined it was inadequate and should not receive a passing grade.   As the Unit Commander I am supposed to decide who has the authority to make the decision as to pass or fail on this essay test.

My gut tells me the testing officers should be making the call, however, chain of command puts the Deputy Commander at the top.   Is there a regulation on this?   I told the Deputy Commander to bring me a regulation that shows it is within his discretion to make the decision and I will back him, however, if he cannot, then I will hence forward let the testing officers make those decisions.
Thanks for any help you may be able to give me.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

LtCol Hooligan

Dan,
I usually have the testing officer grade the paper.  They are handed the score sheets and are briefed on how to score the test.  I have not seen a regulation on who is the actual grading authority.  I think CAP purposely left this up to the squadrons since some squadrons may have testing officers who are very good at grading the papers and others may have DCCs that would would be better.  In the case you are describing, I guess I would ask each officer to turn in their critiques to you and then you review the manuscript and see who you side with.  We are not asking for rocket science in these papers, but we are asking for a 9th grade writing level from our cadets, even the younger ones as they are striving to reach higher ranks with higher requirements.  In my opinion, since one of the officers did find issues with the paper, perhaps it would be worth having the cadet re-write the paper and submit the following week.  The evaluator should tell them what sections need more work. 

I actually had one cadet turn in what basically amounted to a rough draft to me and I returned it to him.  I asked him if he felt he would turn it into an English teacher.  His response was no.  He rewrote and turned it in the following week and it was much, much better.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

Fifinella

CAPR 52-16:

2-6 b (3) Essay & Speech Assignment.  To complete Achievement 8, cadets must write a
300-500 word essay and present a 5 to 7 minute speech to the unit on one of the topics below. A
will evaluate the essay and speech using Figure 2-5 and Figure 2-6.

Recommend you have a meeting with your DCC, the testing officer, and yourself, and come to a consensus on the essay in question.  Then hash out with your DCC, privately, what your procedure will be in the future.

The testing officer(s) and the DCC are lateral to each other on the org chart.  Recommend you find an agreement you're comfortable with, without undermining your DCC.  Perhaps you and the DCC can agree on a list of designated essay graders, or establish a policy that the DCC has final say.  However, the DCC should also be aware not to undermine other graders' authority.  Grading using the checklists in Figure 2-5 and 2-6 from 52-16 should give you objective, uniform standards, and hopefully go a long way toward solving your situation.

Good luck, and let us know how it comes out.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

RplnXbrnt

Quote from: CAPR 52-16 para. 2-6.b.(3)
Essay & Speech Assignment. To complete Achievement 8, cadets must write a 300-500 word essay and present a 5 to 7 minute speech to the unit on one of the topics below. A senior member will evaluate the essay and speech using Figure 2-5 and Figure 2-6.

So, technically, ANY CAP Officer can evaluate the essay -- which, personally, I think is unwise. The same goes for the Eaker Award requirement.

However, I would recommend siding with the Deputy Commander for Cadets because the Deputy Commander for Cadets is (generally) more knowledgeable about Cadet Programs requirements than the average Testing Officer. This is not always the case, which is why it is important to know your people, but that is certainly the trend that I've observed.
1st Lt Colin Carmello, CAP
Leadership, Asst AE & ES Training Officer, B-CC Composite Squadron
CP Development Officer, Group I
Eaker #1705

mikeylikey

It should be the DCC right?  He or she is responsible for the Cadet Program int eh unit right?  He or she should have "almost" final say regarding everything Cadet related in your SQD, with you as the boss saying yes or no, right?

What's up monkeys?

CadetProgramGuy

The grading of the Essay should be the done by the DCC or the CC of the squadron.

It is up to the commander of the unit to see that promotion requirements are met, not the testing officer.

$.02

RiverAux

Testing officer would be most appopriate.  The DCC already has enough to do. 

IceNine

Final answer is right here,

At the end of the day the COMMANDER is the approving authority for ALL cadet promotions.  If it was me in this situation I would have both the testing officer and the DCC read over them and decide, should there be some disagreement in the whole process I (as commander) would make the final decision.

Just remeber you have to sign the CAPF52-(insert 1-4 here)
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Cecil DP

Quote from: IceNine on November 13, 2007, 02:48:44 AM
Final answer is right here,

At the end of the day the COMMANDER is the approving authority for ALL cadet promotions.  If it was me in this situation I would have both the testing officer and the DCC read over them and decide, should there be some disagreement in the whole process I (as commander) would make the final decision.

Just remeber you have to sign the CAPF52-(insert 1-4 here)

Since there is a disagreement between the Testing Officer (who was originally given the task of grading the exam) and the DCC who is responsible for running the Cadet Program. I would as Commander read and grade the essay myself. If the Cadet didn't meet the standard he could be told that 3 people reviewd it and 2 didn't feel it met the requirement of the achievement.  Be objective in telling him exactly what needs improvement. It could be something as easy as using spell and/or grammer check or backing up his argument with facts.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

PHall

I have a retired English teacher in my squadron. I usually try to have him grade them.

Dad2-4

I like both of the previous answers. As a former DCC, if there was a disagreement between me and the testing officer, it makes sense go up the chain of command to the CC and let him decide. Since the regs don't specify, then it could/should be put in writing on the squadron level.
As a teacher, I probably would agree to grade it, but that doesn't mean I'd always feel like doing so. ;)

SoCalCAPOfficer

Thank you for all the replies.  I too have an english teacher who is the aerospace officer.  I had him read the essay also and although he did not go through the checklist for grading it, said it needed some work regarding organization.   I have decided that I will turn that job over to him and let him make the decisions on essays.  That will keep the peace between my DC and my testing officers.   Once again, thank you.
Commander

lordmonar

And now for the follow up questions....why is there disagreement between your testing officer and DCC?

As a commander in a composite squadron your DCC is the go to guy on all cadet related items.  But if you have delegated the task of evaluating these essays to the testing officer he and the DCC MUST be on the same page.

Once resolve this specific issue....it looks like you will have to get your staff together and lay down some guide lines.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SoCalCAPOfficer

This was a new situation.  I have just recently taken over as commander and the way things were set up previously the testing officers graded all tests for both seniors and cadets, including the essays.   However, in this instance the DC happened to read the essay after the testing officers graded it and disagreed.  Since I had never encountered this problem before, after discussing it with all concerned I told them I would make a decision by tomorrow. 

Before becoming commander I was Logistics, Legal and ES training officer and had very little to do with the cadet program.   I am trying to get up to speed on that, which is why I have asked for opinions from those of you with more experience.   Once again I appreciate the input.
Commander

SarDragon

In my last unit populated with cadets, even though I was the Deputy Commander for Seniors, because of my previous experience in CP, and my superior languages skills, I was tasked with grading the essays.

After reviewing the critique form, I find that the grading criteria depends much more on language skills than CAP knowledge. If I had to choose a senior member to grade essays, I would look for language skills first and detailed CAP knowledge second. If necessary, the essay could be reviewed for content by one member and language skills by a second, as was done for senior term papers at my HS, but that might be overkill.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ZigZag911

Given the wording of the regulation, the DCC & TCO should agree on a list of officers (assuming your unit is that big!) suitable to score the essays and/or speeches.

Don't both of them have enough to do as it is?

Whatever happened to delegating?

John Bryan

Since the essay is the one area where subjective and objective might crash into each other.......I would think there is no right answer. Just a big question. WHY?

Why does the CD for Cadet think it is a fail? Why does the TCO think it is a pass? They should each have to make a case to the Commander, who gets to be the final judge.

How do we ensure the opions or beliefs a cadet expresses is not what is graded?

Who at NHQ grades the Spaatz essays? How do they address concerns of fairness?

Cecil DP

Quote from: John Bryan on November 13, 2007, 06:35:42 PM

Who at NHQ grades the Spaatz essays? How do they address concerns of fairness?

My understanding was that the Spaatz essay was reviewed by 2 or 3 members of the Cadet Programs staff who checked several criteria: I presume those are use of words and vocabulary, did the cadet answer the question and support his argument. spelling and grammer. 
Of course you could call National and ask how it's done. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

John Bryan

Maybe a board would be a good idea......maybe the Deputy Commander, TCO and Leaderhip Officer or AEO and 2/3 have to say pass for it to be a pass.

SoCalCAPOfficer

Problem solved.  I designated the testing officers to grade the essays, the DCC has the option to review and overrule.  If the DCC disagrees the essay is given to our Aerospace Officer who is an english teacher.   He will not only make the decision, but if it goes against the cadet, he will mentor the cadet and help him/her complete the assignment in a proper manner.

Everyone agreed that this is a good solution to the problem.  Once again thanks for everyones input.
Commander