Managing Uncooperative Cadets

Started by Joe Baker, November 05, 2007, 06:18:16 AM

Joe Baker

Sir's, Ma'ams, Sergeants, Airmen and Otherwise,

I am the Cadet Commander at a local Civil Air Patrol Unit and have been for some time.

I am having some trouble with several of my cadet NCO's.

I want to keep them in their current position; but I am reluctant to due to the fact that I can not rely on them.

Thus I pose a question to you.

Any advice on managing and motivating people who are prideful and stubborn?

[Preferably without making them mad enough to leave the program altogether]

Anything you have would be helpful .

Thank you,
Josiah Baker, FO, CAP
Logistics Assistant, Timmerman Composite Squadron, GLR-WI-002

"A good simulator check ride is like successful surgery on a cadaver."

SarDragon

Advertising the identity of your local unit, as you have done in your signature, might be counter productive in your guest for information.

Lurkers higher in the food chain might read your post and wonder what's going on. Juniors might take offense if ther think they are the subject of the post.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

Quote from: sixgunjoe on November 05, 2007, 06:18:16 AM
I want to keep them in their current position; but I am reluctant to due to the fact that I can not rely on them.

Being on the cadet staff is a privilege.  A cadet in a staff position is often times the deciding factor if a junior cadet stays or goes.  If you can not rely on them and they aren't doing their job it's time to find a replacement, the health of your cadet corps depends on it.

We had the same problem in the squadron I transferred to.  The cadet staff was horrible, didn't want to take advice or listen to direct orders.  So, they were removed from their positions and cadets junior to them that wanted to make a difference and do a good job filled the slots. 

Most of them have since moved on to college so they're out of the picture.  The cadet corps is getting stronger by the day and all is well...

My point is that cadet staff members have the influence to make or break your cadet program.  If they aren't doing their job, the junior cadets are suffering from it.  Move them out and make them earn their way back in.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

BlackKnight

If you have cadet NCOs or officers who for whatever reason cannot attend regularly, try moving them to a cadet staff position that does not require perfect attendance.  Most squadrons face this problem with cadets who are in school sports or band.   You can assign cadets as assistants to the squadron supply officer, safety officer, activities officer, AE officer, etc.   This will give them a change of venue, and perhaps they'll learn something about teamwork by interfacing directly with a senior officer.  [Or perhaps not!  ;) ]

Meanwhile (as has been previously suggested) move your most accomplished active cadet NCOs into those now vacant slots.  Make sure they have the appropriate grade to go with the position.  If you have no other cadet NCOs to assign as a cadet flight sergeant, then your flight commander will need to fill that position until you "grow" a suitable candidate.

Now with that said, sometimes "motivational problems" result from communication errors by the leadership.  As the cadet commander I assume you have put together a strategic plan of goals and objectives you want to accomplish during your term, and your DCC and unit commander are backing you up on that plan.  Have you communicated your vision to your Flight Commanders?  Have they communicated it to their flight sergeants?   Did they have input to the planning process?  Are you a "Boss" or a "Leader"? Perhaps when they see the whole picture and understand the importance of their contributions that "pride and stubborness" you're seeing will disappear.
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

Joe Baker

Quote from: BlackKnight on November 05, 2007, 03:58:22 PM
If you have cadet NCOs or officers who for whatever reason cannot attend regularly, try moving them to a cadet staff position that does not require perfect attendance.  Most squadrons face this problem with cadets who are in school sports or band.   You can assign cadets as assistants to the squadron supply officer, safety officer, activities officer, AE officer, etc.   This will give them a change of venue, and perhaps they'll learn something about teamwork by interfacing directly with a senior officer.  [Or perhaps not!  ;) ]

Meanwhile (as has been previously suggested) move your most accomplished active cadet NCOs into those now vacant slots.  Make sure they have the appropriate grade to go with the position.  If you have no other cadet NCOs to assign as a cadet flight sergeant, then your flight commander will need to fill that position until you "grow" a suitable candidate.

Now with that said, sometimes "motivational problems" result from communication errors by the leadership.  As the cadet commander I assume you have put together a strategic plan of goals and objectives you want to accomplish during your term, and your DCC and unit commander are backing you up on that plan.  Have you communicated your vision to your Flight Commanders?  Have they communicated it to their flight sergeants?   Did they have input to the planning process?  Are you a "Boss" or a "Leader"? Perhaps when they see the whole picture and understand the importance of their contributions that "pride and stubborness" you're seeing will disappear.

Thanks!  That was in the back of my mind but I was a little hesitant to go that far.  However you make a valid point; and I will be taking your advice tonight.
Josiah Baker, FO, CAP

O-Rex

Brings to mind an Army phrase from way back:

"If we can't put you in charge of the Privates, then we'll put the Privates in charge of you..."

Fifinella

Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: sixgunjoe on November 05, 2007, 06:18:16 AM
Sir's, Ma'ams, Sergeants, Airmen and Otherwise,
I am the Cadet Commander at a local Civil Air Patrol Unit and have been for some time.
I am having some trouble with several of my cadet NCO's.
Thus I pose a question to you.
Any advice on managing and motivating people who are prideful and stubborn?
[Preferably without making them mad enough to leave the program altogether]
Anything you have would be helpful .

Feh, what do I care?  Its not like your in my squadron or anything....oh wait   :P :P :P ;D

Joe Baker

hmmm........I'll have to think about that ???
Josiah Baker, FO, CAP