The $5k Dream List

Started by Pylon, August 06, 2007, 07:51:07 PM

Pylon

I asked this question on CadetStuff, but figured I'd poll the crowds here for ideas as well.

Our squadron has been renovating a new building, which will be serving several different purposes, including operations room, classroom (both seniors and cadets at different times), office space, and some storage.  For additional information on the building itself, see this thread:  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=910.0

My question is this:  If you had approximately $5,000 to spend on out-fitting the building with things that would make it useful... technology... tools... resources...  what would you buy?

To answer some previous questions -- the building is already wired with electrical, coax, ethernet, and phone.  And already on the list is a decent digital projector, new TV and DVD/VCR combo.

So... what makes your list?  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

We don't even have a building of our own.  We meet in a DOD office building.  We've got a space for our class room and that's it that's officialy ours.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

jimmydeanno

Why buy a TV if you already have a projector.  You should be able to/can run the video and such through the projector directly from the VCR combo.

Honestly though, I'd really focus on the environment inside the building.  Make sure you have an area that when you walk in, looks and feels professional - kind of a reception area where people can sign-in, you can put someone to greet new people, plants, etc.  Choose a nice wall color and spend some money on consistent frames for all those posters people like to pin to the wall.

In terms of equipment, I'd do;

DVD combo
Shelving/hanging bars for supply
Squadron banner (can put in the reception area and use during parades booths, etc.). 
Small photocopier
Large Dry Erase Board
Folding Tables for the classroom (they can be rearranged and utilized in multiple places as opposed to individual desks, etc)
Brochure Holders
A sign for outside the building
One or two computers so people can do their level 1 at the squadron meeting, you can set up new cadets E-Services accounts and get their uniforms ordered, enter mims info - self service kiosks...you can even set them up to run a powerpoint presentation in "kiosk mode" so if someone wants information about CAP you can set up a presentation there (welcome video, etc).
Internet Access

All I can think of right now... but it is important that the first impression is professional and that what you spend the money on is going to return the investment in terms of labor savings and efficiency.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

IceNine

Personally I would,

Ensure that I had enough outlets, switches, and lights... For now and any perceived future application.  You can never have to many but its tuff when you have to few

Run 3-4" PVC up to the roof, Feedline panel, Ensure enough circuits to run multiple electronics.  You may not have the radios now but the first time you try and set up a Mission base you'll be glad you did this stuff.

I would also spend a bit and set up a good coverage, secure wireless/wired network. buy a print server and a good printer so that anyone with the proper code can print. 

And as an aside, I would start a WE love ourselves wall pictures, Unit Charter Certificate, Plaques of Cadet and Senior Award Recipients, Plaques of C/CC and CC names and dates, etc

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SAR-EMT1

DVD / VCR Player
"Patton" DVD
Projector - to be wired to laptop OR DVD/VCR player
Ensure a path for the radio cable.
Ensure proper ventilation, cleanliness and lighting (professionalism)
Ensure sufficient power outlets.
A computer or two
a small copier/computer printer
a small lecturn
dry erase board
folding tables and chairs
matching frames for your wall
internet access charges
good locks for your doors
Supply room shelving
Small Sign for exterior of building
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

sandman

Consider the mission of your unit:

Are you more heavily leaning to ground ES or air? HT's for training cadets in proper radio procedures; DF equipment if you can get it. 24-72 hour pack epuipment (durable items) that cadets might have difficulty purchasing on their own. Survival gear, ground panels, reflective vests with lettering, unit ball caps. "Inexpensive" HT's with headsets for air commo (ground marshaling) from Sporty's.

I realize this wouldn't quite fit the bill for "outfitting the building", but you gotta have some neat toys to play with in the new clubhouse ;D

Otherwise, I like SAR-EMT1's list.

This is fun....
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

Pylon

Great ideas, all.  Keep 'em coming.  I'm jotting them all down.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

♠SARKID♠

Proper lighting that wont interfere with radios
Comfortable seating
Cappuccino machine ;D
Trampoline ;D
Zip line from one end of the building to the other  :)

addo1

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on August 07, 2007, 08:02:49 AM
DVD / VCR Player
"Patton" DVD
Ensure a path for the radio cable.
Ensure proper ventilation, cleanliness and lighting (professionalism)
Ensure sufficient power outlets.
A computer or two
a small copier/computer printer
a small lecturn
dry erase board
folding tables and chairs
matching frames for your wall
internet access charges
good locks for your doors
Supply room shelving
Small Sign for exterior of building

You better add "Band of Brothers" and "Saving Private Ryan" DVDs to that list with a comfortable couch to sit in.  ;)
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: addo1 on September 24, 2007, 02:25:16 PM

You better add "Band of Brothers" and "Saving Private Ryan" DVDs to that list with a comfortable couch to sit in.  ;)

"Saving Private Ryan" is not an appropriate movie for cadets under 17.

Fifinella

microwave
refrigerator
coffee maker
wall lockers for 24 hr gear/SAR uniform for each qualified team member
shelving for libraries: AE, ES, PD, etc.
materials for said libraries: books, DVDs, magazines
+1 on the pamphlet display stand
all-in-one Fax/copier/scanner/printer
answering machine
bulletin boards (AE, ES, CP, SP, DDR, Safety, CC's Corner, etc.)
American flag & stand; State Flag & stand; Unit guidon; Unit banner
Shelves/racks for uniforms in supply area
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Tubacap

Go for the Brun coffee pot, they are amazingly fast at 0200.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

flyerthom

SAR-EMT1's list plus:

Sporty's G1000 DVD and maybe their private pilot DVD's

A long table for chart griding, model rocketry construction and table top ICS exercises.

A really big coffee pot. (20 gallons ought to fulfill minimum needs...

Something to keep doughnuts fresh  ;D
TC

Cadet Tillett

Quote from: Tubacap on October 10, 2007, 09:55:51 PM

Coffee nothing, invest in a year's supply of root beer! :D
C/Capt. Tillett, NCWG
Wright Brothers #4609
Mitchell #54148
Earhart #14039

Steve Silverwood

Quote from: Pylon on August 06, 2007, 07:51:07 PM
I asked this question on CadetStuff, but figured I'd poll the crowds here for ideas as well.

Our squadron has been renovating a new building, which will be serving several different purposes, including operations room, classroom (both seniors and cadets at different times), office space, and some storage.  For additional information on the building itself, see this thread:  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=910.0

My question is this:  If you had approximately $5,000 to spend on out-fitting the building with things that would make it useful... technology... tools... resources...  what would you buy?

To answer some previous questions -- the building is already wired with electrical, coax, ethernet, and phone.  And already on the list is a decent digital projector, new TV and DVD/VCR combo.

So... what makes your list?  :)

I wasn't sure where you were located until I did a web search for your squadron.  New York....  OK, I suspect making sure your heat and possibly air conditioning (depending on local climate) was ok.

You may want to consider finding a building inspector that will give your facilities the once-over to point out any structural or safety issues that might need attention.  Local volunteers might be able to provide expertise and manpower to do whatever construction work that's necessary to rectify anything the inspector finds.  Safety is paramount, especially since cadets are involved.

After all that, the wish list might come into play.  I'd consider a well-constructed (and well placed) tower for radio antennas -- again depending on location (and local ordinances) -- along with a good communications facility, and perhaps a flagpole. 

Looks like other postings on this subject covered the other items I would have put on my wish list.

//Steve//
-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood
kb6ojs@arrl.net

Steve Silverwood

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on August 07, 2007, 08:02:49 AM

Not necessary to choose when dealing with present-day models.  They all have multiple inputs, and most allow for selection of which input to use with a simple click of a remote control.

//Steve//

(PS: I know this because I'm an IT guy and we have a few such devices.)
-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood
kb6ojs@arrl.net

Steve Silverwood

Quote from: Cadet Tillett on October 11, 2007, 03:50:09 AM
Quote from: Tubacap on October 10, 2007, 09:55:51 PM

Coffee nothing, invest in a year's supply of root beer! :D

Root beer gots no caffeine, and we all know missions RUN on caffeine just as much as on Avgas....

But a soda machine might be a good idea, and would probably generate a little revenue.
-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood
kb6ojs@arrl.net

Steve Silverwood

Quote from: Fifinella on October 10, 2007, 05:32:27 PM
all-in-one Fax/copier/scanner/printer

Careful which one you choose on this one.  Look at how it's going to be used before making a purchase.  I'll be happy to help evaluate anyone's needs on IT-related issues, just ask.
-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood
kb6ojs@arrl.net

pixelwonk

multiple quotes can be used in one post, negating the need to post several times in a row.

click the "preview" button
click the mouse at the point in your post where you want to insert the quote
look for the quotes you want to include and click "insert quote"

jeders

Quote from: tedda on October 11, 2007, 05:27:29 PM
multiple quotes can be used in one post, negating the need to post several times in a row.

click the "preview" button
click the mouse at the point in your post where you want to insert the quote
look for the quotes you want to include and click "insert quote"

But then it would take longer for him to get a higher post count  ;D
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse