assistant duty not tracked on eservices?

Started by Майор Хаткевич, May 09, 2013, 03:48:09 PM

SunDog

Yes, sorry, 'twas sarcasm, badly done.  I've been critical of eServices, and NHQ for its long neglect.  It misses the mark by quite a bit. It is not well done, not well maintained. The will and vision aren't there to address it, nor the $$$. Also missing is the imagination and expertise to explore better approaches for far less $$$$.

But time to let it go Louie; it'll change when management changes. . .

Private Investigator

Quote from: Storm Chaser on October 01, 2013, 01:22:06 PM
Does anyone know if this issue was resolved?

Not really sure if it was a problem. If you did anything after 2005 it should be documented "IF" it was ever entered. Like my Assistant PDO goes from N/A to 7/25/05 and primary PDO goes from 7/26/05 to 7/17/09. The "N/A" should have been 1/1/02. Apparently eServices did not consider 'ancient history' which looks like 2005.

Now on another thread we discussed the Command Speciality Track. To get credit from the "jump start" provision you really had to have documentation of your Command and Deputy Command time. Just as I am sure some Wings are exceptional book keepers, I am sure others have no clue, for example, who was Petticoat Junction Squadron Commander from 1947 to 1955.   8)

JeffDG

Quote from: SunDog on October 02, 2013, 04:57:30 AM
Yes, sorry, 'twas sarcasm, badly done.  I've been critical of eServices, and NHQ for its long neglect.  It misses the mark by quite a bit. It is not well done, not well maintained. The will and vision aren't there to address it, nor the $$$. Also missing is the imagination and expertise to explore better approaches for far less $$$$.

But time to let it go Louie; it'll change when management changes. . .
Well, now that they've completed ORMS v2, which was such a monumental change that it was promised for over a year, and improved things so much that folks didn't even know it had been implemented, they can focus on eServices when they're not working to make it more difficult for members to build things that interface with their systems.

Майор Хаткевич

PI problem is when you get switched from assistant "yes" to "no". IMO it should end the assistant duty and make new line entry for primary. Instead it resets the clock on the line item and assistant time goes boom.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

And considering our PD / Grade progression is based in part on amount of staff position time, this can only be considered a bug.

Storm Chaser

I've observed this issue when swapping positions between a primary and an assistant. I suspect it has to do with the assistant 'yes' / 'no' flag. If the positions are removed first and then reassigned, this doesn't happen.

I've lost some duty position data myself. Fortunately, I had hardcopies of my CAPF 2As for the last year. Has anyone filed a ticked with NHQ/IT?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on October 02, 2013, 02:16:19 PM
I've observed this issue when swapping positions between a primary and an assistant. I suspect it has to do with the assistant 'yes' / 'no' flag. If the positions are removed first and then reassigned, this doesn't happen.

I've lost some duty position data myself. Fortunately, I had hardcopies of my CAPF 2As for the last year. Has anyone filed a ticked with NHQ/IT?

Yep. At best, counter intuitive. At worst, lacking a lot of documentation.

TarRiverRat

I just checked mine and it shows the dates of me as Assistant Historian and now shows me current as the Historian but I don't see any of my time as Assistant PDO only as the PDO.  All of that time appears to be gone.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

Eclipse

Quote from: TarRiverRat on October 03, 2013, 12:15:34 AM
I just checked mine and it shows the dates of me as Assistant Historian and now shows me current as the Historian but I don't see any of my time as Assistant PDO only as the PDO.  All of that time appears to be gone.

Well, it >is< actually "gone", but the missing assignments are easily corrected  or added.

"That Others May Zoom"

SunDog

Just need a way to get the word out to all affected, with the why & how. Not a good way to do business, leaves gobs of potential gaps, and xx minutes of member time, multiplied by xx affected folks. Just this issue, not thinking about any other flaws. Another xx hours of available volunteer time blown.

Eclipse

What "word"?

Everyone is responsible for managing their own CAP information and career.  Information in eServices is easily and quickly corrected.
The problem is that a lot of members ignore it until they actually need something, and only then realize their history has gaps.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

TarRiverRat

Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

SunDog

Quote from: Eclipse on October 03, 2013, 01:36:38 AM
What "word"?

Everyone is responsible for managing their own CAP information and career.  Information in eServices is easily and quickly corrected.
The problem is that a lot of members ignore it until they actually need something, and only then realize their history has gaps.

Even easier if it doesn't have to be corrected, though, right? If eServices worked right, this conversation doesn't take place. And a few dozen others just like it. As is, the data, in this case, is systemically wrong, worthless for aggregate reporting at any level.

Member's time can be substituted for good software design and implementation. Clearly, that's what we're doing here. Not a goid model. I think other IT pros on the forum will say substantially the same thing - eServices is a poor product by any best practice measure.

Some (many?) of us don't have a reason to look at it, until a personnel event comes up - oops, the data is wrong! Been wrong, maybe a long time. Were any management decsions/reporting done based on that data? Probably, else why collect it? Do we blast the membership for not checking on induced errors (SETS?). Is it a good practice to rely on the kindness of strangers to scrub your data, when some won't care all that much, anyway?

Private Investigator

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 02, 2013, 01:27:20 PM
PI problem is when you get switched from assistant "yes" to "no". IMO it should end the assistant duty and make new line entry for primary. Instead it resets the clock on the line item and assistant time goes boom.

All of mine, shows a new line entry. In one speciality I went from "yes" to "no"; another I went from "no" to "yes". I have four lines with the proper dates and chrnology. Or at least from 2005.

Private Investigator

Quote from: TarRiverRat on October 03, 2013, 12:15:34 AM

When I was doing the IG thing. One Unit I was inspecting the Safety portion. The Unit Safety Officer claimed to have been the assistant for two years and became the primary 1 1/2 years ago. But eservices showed the CC appointed him 6 weeks ago and started him on the speciality track then too. They really had no ideal what they were doing so that is a great reason why the IG should visit every Unit every two years.  8)