Main Menu

Cheyenne Mountain

Started by Nikos, April 08, 2015, 11:08:12 PM

arajca

Having been on a tour of Cheyenne Mountain, our guide talked about the movie folks coming there to get a feel for the place. The entry tunnel they loved. The blast door had them seriously impressed. Everything beyond it, however... There is a reason, besides security, the interior scenes were filmed on a movie set.  ;D

PHall

Quote from: arajca on April 12, 2015, 02:51:57 AM
Having been on a tour of Cheyenne Mountain, our guide talked about the movie folks coming there to get a feel for the place. The entry tunnel they loved. The blast door had them seriously impressed. Everything beyond it, however... There is a reason, besides security, the interior scenes were filmed on a movie set.  ;D

Well let's see. No room, no room and did I mention no room.  Movie cameras and lights take up a lot of space!

lordmonar

That....and real op centers just don't look "cool" enough for Hollywood.

Anyone remember the AWAC scenes from Red Flag?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spam

Lord, I hear you.  When I was out your way last year (14-1, last JAN), I spent what seemed like endless days in the smelliest small mission planning compartment possible, shoe horned into a maze of hallways with bags of garbage waiting to go out (used microwave meals, countless coffee grounds, empty Monster and caffeine drink cans, etc). Reminded me of my last boat det, but with fewer guys detailed as sweepers to clean up. NOT exactly the gleaming Hollywood vision of dimly lit purple and blue mood lighting, JJ Abrams lens flares and back lighting, and float in the air VR displays for TACTS pod data. Not a bit of taxpayer waste or FW&A there, I can vow.

V/R,
Spam

PS, Wargames was good old skool, yo... but how about "Colossus: the Forbin Project" (1970) for cool impenetrable underground C4I complexes?  And later, "The Adolescence of P1" (1977 novel), which came well before Skynet/Terminator movies with Crystal Peak, etc.  Or how about The Andromeda Strains underground Wildfire facility. Or, Roddenberry's "Genesis II/Planet Earth" underground facility.... oh no, I've gone full mental on the underground base/ops center meme... sorry...

NIN

The best underground ops center/command room is, of course, the War Room:

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: lordmonar on April 12, 2015, 05:55:52 AM

All my bubble-head buddies say the same thing about the subs in Hunt For Red October....

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

arajca

Quote from: NIN on April 12, 2015, 12:01:05 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on April 12, 2015, 05:55:52 AM

All my bubble-head buddies say the same thing about the subs in Hunt For Red October....
Actually, the folks who designed most of the interior of Cheyenne Mountain were ship builders, although the AF had to get the to fix the doors. >:D

a2capt

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on April 11, 2015, 01:28:39 PM.. whenever someone mentions Cheyenne Mountain or NORAD, my first thought is of the movie War Games. Since no one has mentioned that movie yet, it apparently means I am the oldest person here! It hurts...
Same here, and I deliberately left it out so the thread wouldn't degenerate so quickly .. ;-)

I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good!

Slim

Quote from: NIN on April 12, 2015, 11:59:35 AM
The best underground ops center/command room is, of course, the War Room:

You can't fight in here!!!!  This is the WAR ROOM!!!!

Slim

sardak

Nikos

One thing about Dr. Strangelove I always wondered about.  Did the USAF and RAF have an officer exchange program?  Or, perhaps they still have an office exchange program? 

lordmonar

Yes and Yes.....and not with just the RAF.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Brit_in_CAP

Adding to the previous...there was and is an exchange program with the RAF and the RCAF; it's very popular and very hard to get onto!  I know, I tried!

Brit_in_CAP

Getting back to Dr Strangelove...we (RAF) didn't have an exchange post with SAC command which made the Cuban Missile Crisis somewhat harder to deal with, according to some of the books and articles that I read.  We did have pilots flying the B52 at one point although I don't recall USAF pilots flying the Vulcan B2 at all.

JeffDG

Quote from: Nikos on April 14, 2015, 11:23:46 PM
One thing about Dr. Strangelove I always wondered about.  Did the USAF and RAF have an officer exchange program?  Or, perhaps they still have an office exchange program?

I think there are limited officer exchange programs across all the NATO countries.  Granted the integration is nowhere near the level that Canada and the US have via NORAD (which is a truly bi-national command), but there would probably be a few folks.

sarmed1

Quote from: Mela_007 on April 10, 2015, 08:25:18 PM

I agree that SG-1 brought a lot of good press for the AF!  I think it was really well done and I got a kick out of how even a couple of the USAF Joint Chiefs had small roles in a couple of episodes.

Generals Ryan and Jumper played themselves on episodes; I especially like the one with Gen. Ryan, as RDA is acting shocked that he would actually show up at SGC (not sure as if fictional SGC or as "real" SGC would warrant a visit from the real AF Chief of Staff; thats what makes it kind of funny)

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Nikos

One more question about Dr. Strangelove, perhaps the SAC guys can answer it.  In the movie it shows the aircrew checking their survival kits.  Was this just Hollywood making the movie as they wanted?  I mean survival kits should be standard equipment.  How would aircrews have time to do this?

PHall

Quote from: Nikos on April 16, 2015, 10:34:32 PM
One more question about Dr. Strangelove, perhaps the SAC guys can answer it.  In the movie it shows the aircrew checking their survival kits.  Was this just Hollywood making the movie as they wanted?  I mean survival kits should be standard equipment.  How would aircrews have time to do this?

Takes a long time to fly to Mother Russia...

Nikos

Been reading about the B52.  I would say the USAF, and the taxpayers got their money's worth!

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: JeffDG on April 16, 2015, 01:33:32 PM
Quote from: Nikos on April 14, 2015, 11:23:46 PM

I think there are limited officer exchange programs across all the NATO countries.  Granted the integration is nowhere near the level that Canada and the US have via NORAD (which is a truly bi-national command), but there would probably be a few folks.

Indeed; NORAD is quite unique in that respect although NATO HQ is quite similar. 

I met exchange officers in the UK from Germany and Italy (both Tornado operators), the United States (flying Nimrods, two instructors at the Officer School), Canada (can't recall what they were actually doing) and New Zealand (rotary wing aircrew).  Working the other way, we (RAF) sent exchange officers to fly in the US, Canada, Australia and engineers, supply and administration to the US and Canada.

Exchange - as opposed to liaison - can present problems.  When the UK Joint Helo force deployed in 2003 some of the pilots were from countries other than the UK, and their home nations weren't involved in the coalition....!  I'm sure there are some interesting conversations to be had when that happens.  The aircrew were quite happy to go; I have no idea what their national governments had to say on the matter.