Differences between CAP and the Coast Guard Auxiliary

Started by Eagle400, April 02, 2007, 08:32:49 PM

RiverAux

JC is correct.  There are no ranks or grades at all in CG Aux.  We do wear rank insignia similar to the CG's but we don't use rank titles. 

The rank insignia is based entirely on administrative position within the organization and has no CAP equivalent. 

JC004

PA Guy

I also wear two hats. The thing I enjoy the most in the Aux is the relationship with the CG. I usually augment 2-3 days a month and they call me to ask if I can come in, provide free billeting and pay me a mileage allowance. If I need to go to the Exchange I don't have to explain who I am and that I really am allowed make non uniform purchases. I am appreciated for what I contribute and not viewed as some sort of wannabe.

PA Guy

Quote from: DNall on April 04, 2007, 04:08:55 AM
CGAux uses enlisted grades for everyone. All the officer grades are elected/appointed posts from unit CC & primary staff to higher echelons. The general operators though all have enlisted grades. The duties or rather san of authority as you state are not really all that different than being a GTM/L or similiar or staff jobs & such. It's all prtty parallel.

There are no enlisted grades in the Aux since we don't have rank/grade as such. If someone is wearing grade insignia it is an indicator of office/staff assignment not rank/grade in the usual since. All office/staff indicators use officer type insignia.

When someone in the Aux augments they are supposed to wear a generic member insignia to avoid any confusion for the CG folks.

pixelwonk

Quote from: 12211985 on April 03, 2007, 03:47:13 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on April 03, 2007, 03:23:23 AMSAR in CG Aux is very limited.  Mostly you go on routine patrols and every now and again get to tow somebody back to a ramp after they've had problems -- however, if there is a commercial towing service in your area you may not even do that (it "competes" with private industry). 

If SAR is your primary interest CAP will be a much better option. 

I like SAR, but It's not my main interest.  I'm more of a CP/AE guy.  I do have a 101 Card and have been licensed as a radio operator, UDF operator, and Urban GT member, however.

Question: will any of my ES ratings transfer over to the CG Auxiliary?  Say, for example, my ACUT radio license?     

In comparison, A-CUT is like learning the "ABC's song" while CG Watchstander training is like learning "Hamlet"
Not hard, but quite a bit more comprehensive.  I'd encourage you to visit the Military.com Aux board if you wish to get real in-depth about Auxie life.  there's fellows there who can give you the skinny on just about any unit you'd consider joining.

In regards to dual-hatting...
I remain a CAP Wing staff person and that's about it these days.
My CG Aux hat is stuffed quite a bit more with duties at the Flotilla, National and augmentation at the Sector level.
I'm content with it that way and will disparage neither org to the other.

afgeo4

What are other differences? Membership dues? Uniform costs? Training? What is an average meeting at a flotilla like?
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

Also, anyone know what's going on on the augmentation front at Sector New York?
GEORGE LURYE

pixelwonk

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 04, 2007, 04:34:45 AM
What are other differences? Membership dues? Uniform costs? Training? What is an average meeting at a flotilla like?

Dues: ...usually less.  I paid 31.50 this year.

Uniforms: more versions if you want em, but usually less $$$.  I got outfitted real nice from the UDC.  Avoid "Lighthouse Uniforms Co" like the plague if you're an Auxie.  They serve up a $32 pair of trousers for about 70-ish.

Training varies, just like CAP unit's do...  Mine's good.  Joe Auxie down at the next flotilla might be bored outta his gourd.

Average meeting is too hard to answer, So I'll give you mine: it's usually 30-45 min. using Robert's Rules. Then about a half hour to an hour for training.  Last month I coordinated a review of knots with another member.
In warmer months we train on the Thursdays we don't have a business mtg.  We're pretty active that way, and are actually considered an Auxiliary detachment out of one of the Coast Guard Stations on Lake Michigan.

SAR-EMT1

Had a question for my fellow CG Auxies:
Where abouts do you all gather?
CG stations, CG Aux Stations, Schools, Churches etc?
- For my part; the local 911 / ES building. -
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student