Differences between CAP and the Coast Guard Auxiliary

Started by Eagle400, April 02, 2007, 08:32:49 PM

Eagle400

I'm thinking about joining the Coast Guard Auxiliary, and would like to know the differences between CAP and the CG Auxiliary so I know what to expect. 

I've heard a lot of good things about the Coast Guard Auxiliary, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are some CG Auxiliary members on here.

LtCol White

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

JC004

I'm planning to join when I have the free time to support it.  There's a lot of CAP folks that are also Coast Guard Auxiliary.

The Auxiliary Manual has loads of good info:
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-o/cgaux/Publications/Manuals/auxman/auxmaninfopage.htm

RiverAux

CAP is much more involved than emergency-related search and rescue and disaster relief in the air and on the ground.  In other words, you're more likely to get a call in the middle of the night to go out on a CAP mission than a CG Aux mission. 

CG Aux does much more routine patrolling (air and water) in which occassionally they might get to help somebody out.  CG Aux has a much wider variety of activities that you can participate in on a planned basis that support the Coast Guard (either directly or indirectly).  CG Aux has much, much closer relationship with the CG than CAP does with the Air Force.

CG Aux is much less "military" even though their uniform is closer to the Coast Guard's than CAP's is to the Air Force uniform and even though they spend more time with their parent service. 

CAP does have the cadet program for which there is no CG Aux equivalent. 

CAP pretty much sticks to itself while CG Aux spends a lot more time out in the community (teaching boating safety, inspecting boats, interacting with boaters, etc.). 

CG Aux has much greater capacity to let you go out and set your own schedule to do various activities.  If I want to go inspect boats today, I can go do it.  With CAP, you're more or less restricted to doing what everyone else is doing and when they're doing it. 

However, above that the most important factor that should affect your decision is exactly what your local CAP and local CG Aux units are doing.  I'd recommend going to 3 or 4 meetings of each organization before making any decision.  There may be some great aspect of each organization that you really want to do but for whatever reason isn't being done by the local unit.  When you go, talk to as many people as possible about their experiences in how long it took to get trained, availability of classes, how often they participate in exercises or missions, etc.  Don't just talk to the commander or the recruiting officer.  Don't let them steamroll you into making a decision right away.     

pixelwonk

As another Auxie on the board, I concur wholeheartedly.

There are many more differences in the minutiae of the to orgs, but River Aux has hit the nail on the head.

While the Auxiliary manual has lots of good info for Auxies, it won't do much for a potential member. (It's huge!)

If you really want to have a look at it though, take a look at the annotated version by chapter by District 7's Web d00ds.

As an aside, I just passed my Vessel Examiner and Program Visitor tests last week.  w00t!  Now it's on to the hands-on stuff!  :)

KFreeman

~S~
Qualified as Aircrew, about the equivalent of copilot, when I was in the USCGAux down in Florida. I was already CAP pilot/observer. Took all of the tests, ditching/water survival training and then flew several hours training from Key West to Marathon Key and back as observer trainee before qualifying. Enjoyed every minute of it.

The USCGAux uses member aircraft (called facilities)and we never seemed to have as many as needed. The flip side of that is that we got plenty of flying hours.

There are a couple of Flotillas in Mobile, AL where I now live. They look like sharp outfits seem to be prospering. I think only one of them has an "air facility". I know one of the pilots and he is a CFI and A&P/IA.

I can only say good things about the USCGAux. They are truly a boaters best friend.

Regards,
Ken

Authentic Antique Aviator

Eagle400

I've checked out the local CG Auxiliary at a recent airshow, and found out that they don't have an air program.  Coming from CAP, will the Coast Guard Auxiliary be as enjoyable without the air program?

RiverAux

Even if they did have an air program it would be an entirely different dynamic than CAP.  There, the flying would just be one of a dozen major programs that people would be participating in, and not really the most important.  Really, it all depends on what you're interested in doing.  If you could give us some hints on what you're looking for we can give better advice. 

Eagle400

Quote from: RiverAux on April 03, 2007, 02:28:13 AM
Even if they did have an air program it would be an entirely different dynamic than CAP.  There, the flying would just be one of a dozen major programs that people would be participating in, and not really the most important.

I like that.  It sounds like the Coast Guard Auxiliary does a good job at minimizing the flying club mentality. 

Quote from: RiverAux on April 03, 2007, 02:28:13 AMReally, it all depends on what you're interested in doing.  If you could give us some hints on what you're looking for we can give better advice. 

I'm looking for a job in the CG Auxiliary that involves working closely with the Coast Guard, perhaps involving some SAR.  But something that doesn't require any nautical licenses or anything like that.   

RiverAux

QuoteI'm looking for a job in the CG Auxiliary that involves working closely with the Coast Guard, perhaps involving some SAR.  But something that doesn't require any nautical licenses or anything like that.   

Well, then that will depend on what CG units you have nearby.  If you have a CG station or cutter nearby you MAY be able to assist as a radio watchstander or possibly an inport watchstander on the cutter.  If there is a marine safety unit nearby there are a ton of possible jobs they need help with.  In either case these sorts of augmentation opportunities may or may not exist depending on the needs of that CG unit and the attitude of the people in charge.  If there is a CG station nearby there may be oppportunities to work with their small boat crews (sometimes they let Auxies man their boats) or more likely you would be on an Aux crew on a Aux boat under the control of somebody at the CG station. 

SAR in CG Aux is very limited.  Mostly you go on routine patrols and every now and again get to tow somebody back to a ramp after they've had problems -- however, if there is a commercial towing service in your area you may not even do that (it "competes" with private industry). 

If SAR is your primary interest CAP will be a much better option. 

Eagle400

Quote from: RiverAux on April 03, 2007, 03:23:23 AMSAR in CG Aux is very limited.  Mostly you go on routine patrols and every now and again get to tow somebody back to a ramp after they've had problems -- however, if there is a commercial towing service in your area you may not even do that (it "competes" with private industry). 

If SAR is your primary interest CAP will be a much better option. 

I like SAR, but It's not my main interest.  I'm more of a CP/AE guy.  I do have a 101 Card and have been licensed as a radio operator, UDF operator, and Urban GT member, however.

Question: will any of my ES ratings transfer over to the CG Auxiliary?  Say, for example, my ACUT radio license?     

Eclipse

Quote from: 12211985 on April 03, 2007, 03:47:13 AM
Question: will any of my ES ratings transfer over to the CG Auxiliary?  Say, for example, my ACUT radio license?     

No. They are separate, independent organizations.

The skills might be some what complimentary, but the ratings aren't.

An A-Cut, for example, allows you to own or be issued a radio which operates on Air Force (NTIA, blah, blah)
assigned frequencies.  Something CGAuxers aren't allowed to do.  They have their own radio frequencies.

Ground Sar, obviously has little place in the CG, Aux or otherwise.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguy06

I am curious about something.

What motiviates people to be in both organizations? I have a hard enough time finding time to volunteer for the one organization I am in. How do you find the free tim eto volunteer for two organizations? Are yo all just financially welll off and have a lot of free time on your hands or what?

SAR-EMT1

HA! - no offense, just thinking about how I have hoards of free time and extra cash.-   ::)

I'm an EMT for a Fire Dept. I work an average of 90 hours a week at my paid job. And I'm a member of the CAP, the CG Aux (flotilla and division staff) a FreeMason; and I have this crazy desire to get some medical paperwork pushed through so that I can be commissioned.

Id say I work about 40 hours a week on all that extra stuff. Ive had the AuxMan in the ambulance and Lodge paperwork at a CAP meeting... its hectic.

In short I do it all because until I get my commission I see these activities as the best ways in which I can help my Country and fellow man.
Within that scope I'm an EMT because I'm an adrenaline addict that works well under pressure.
    These groups aren't for everybody, but I know of many Dual members on this forum, and some masons and some EMTs. It seems that we are always short on Time or Money. But we do it because either in our hearts or the heads we see something important in our work.  For some its cadets, others communications, others its SAR, or aviation. In the CG Aux you can augment, inspect pleasure boats, work in Comms or a myriad of other duties.

Anyway, good luck in your decision.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Eclipse

Quote from: flyguy06 on April 03, 2007, 05:48:29 AM
I am curious about something.

What motivates people to be in both organizations? I have a hard enough time finding time to volunteer for the one organization I am in. How do you find the free time to volunteer for two organizations? Are yo all just financially well off and have a lot of free time on your hands or what?

I, too, am amazed at people who are in both, and sometimes more.  Personally I think you can't really devote full attention to either side, which means you might not be as effective to either, but that's just MHO - there are only so many hours in a week.

One of our people is in both, and he is in the CGAux mainly so he can fly his own aircraft on their nickel.

He's quite happy putting in a few hours a month over there for that.

The CGAux also seems to have a much tighter defined  mission - much less of this "you can do whatever you want...", stuff CAP is famous for.  That might limit the overall activities, but means that if their list is your list, there is less confusion.

I can see the advantage to that, but I'm not a boat guy so I'm not interested.  The CGAux guys I have dealt with are no more or less committed, and their GOBs / ROMEOs give ours a run for their money. 

Here in ILWG, we also have the joy of having a number of ex-CAP, Alpha-Males who went to the CGAux and enjoy telling everyone how bad CAP is.  Fun, fun, fun...

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

The CGAux doesn't take over my life like CAP tends to.  I go to my flotilla meeting, which only meets once a month and do some staff officer stuff during and between meetings.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Quote from: flyguy06 on April 03, 2007, 05:48:29 AM
What motiviates people to be in both organizations? I have a hard enough time finding time to volunteer for the one organization I am in. How do you find the free tim eto volunteer for two organizations? Are yo all just financially welll off and have a lot of free time on your hands or what?

I sort of implied this in my earlier answers.

I'm in CAP primarily for Emergency Services to participate in SAR and DR for the opportunity to help people in a time of need.

I'm in the CG Aux primarily to provide support to one of our military services in the sort of direct way that is not possible through CAP & USAF. 

If I knew about CG Aux 10 years ago I probably would not have rejoined CAP (former cadet) and instead would have joined CG Aux primarily for the augmentation opportunities.  However, I have since invested quite a lot into CAP and will probably continue for the forseable future but will be gradually cutting back my CAP participation. 

Eagle400

How does rank/grade in the Coast Guard Auxiliary differ from rank/grade in CAP?  I know that the Coast Guard uses Navy ranks, but my question has mainly to do with scope of authority and duties assigned. 

For example, would the duties of an Ensign in the Coast Guard Auxiliary be similar to those of a 2d Lt in CAP?  Does a CG Auxiliary Ensign have more authority than a CAP 2d Lt?   

DNall

CGAux uses enlisted grades for everyone. All the officer grades are elected/appointed posts from unit CC & primary staff to higher echelons. The general operators though all have enlisted grades. The duties or rather san of authority as you state are not really all that different than being a GTM/L or similiar or staff jobs & such. It's all prtty parallel.

JC004

Quote from: 12211985 on April 04, 2007, 03:56:45 AM
How does rank/grade in the Coast Guard Auxiliary differ from rank/grade in CAP?  I know that the Coast Guard uses Navy ranks, but my question has mainly to do with scope of authority and duties assigned. 

For example, would the duties of an Ensign in the Coast Guard Auxiliary be similar to those of a 2d Lt in CAP?  Does a CG Auxiliary Ensign have more authority than a CAP 2d Lt?   

There isn't any rank.  No titles, anyway - they just wear the insignia corresponding to their position/past position.  I like that approach myself.  Check it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coast_Guard_Auxiliary#Titles_and_military_etiquette