Hiring Squadron Commanders

Started by flyguy06, March 26, 2007, 03:16:09 AM

flyguy06

I read in another thread that Wing Commanders hire SquadronCommanders. Not in my Squadron. Whoever wants to be the Squadron Commanders just volunteers and we let the Wing Commander know about it

RiverAux

Perhaps, but it isn't official unless the Wing Commander says it is.  Trying to find somebody willing to be squadron commander is one of the tough parts of being a Wing Commander and if a volunteer raises their hand from within the squadron they're probably going to go along with it most of the time.  But, its totally at their discretion. 

lordmonar

Quote from: flyguy06 on March 26, 2007, 03:16:09 AMI read in another thread that Wing Commanders hire SquadronCommanders. Not in my Squadron. Whoever wants to be the Squadron Commanders just volunteers and we let the Wing Commander know about it

And hence the problems some wings have with shotty leadership at the squadron level (not that your leadership is bad...but some).  The cure for bad leadership is for more invovlment at the wing level.  The wing should be more active is picking and training new commanders.  If they did this little thing a lot of problems would be solved.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

There are usually more than a few people who would be good squadron commanders, however convincing one of them to actually do the job is the hard part. 

Unfortunately, most CAP members realize that becoming a squadron commander is usually the thing that you do right before leaving CAP -- either through burn out or due to personal disagreements with other CAP members (above or below you).

That is one of the good things about the CG Aux.  Since they have an election system with a fixed period in office everyone knows going into the job that it will only be for a certain period of time and are more willing to volunteer.  And, when they get done they tend to stick around with the unit afterwards.  My CG Aux flotilla probably has half a dozen former commanders that are still active.  My CAP unit only has 1 that is still really active with the units with 3 others on Wing staff who almost never participate in the squadron anymore, the rest are long gone. 

With CAP squadron commanders it is almost always up (to Wing staff) or out (due to reasons mentioned above).

Pylon

That part of "letting the Wing Commander know about it" (via the CAPF 27) is where the Wing Commander's approval to hire or not comes in.   If the Wing Commander does not sign this form, your squadron's commander does not technically change.   In many cases, yes - the Form 27 drifts through Wing HQ and gets the "rubber stamp" approval, but not always.  It's still the Wing King's call and they are the hiring authority.

Our very own Capt. Dan ("justin_bailey")Brodsky knows this quite well.   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

And until the 27 is processed, you'll have no rights or authority as far as NHQ is concerned, and nothing will change in the WMU or eServices with regards to approval rights.

In Wings ith groups >generally< the Group CC appoints unit CC's, with final approval being the Wing CC.

At the end of the day, though, the Wing CC is the final on everything...

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

The only exception to this rule is over seas squadron.  Those commanders are appointed by the base commander.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on March 26, 2007, 03:23:28 PM

Yes, since the Wing Commander is a Corporate Officer that  makes sense.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

The other thing which >is< (too often) ignored, but shouldn't be, is that once the 27 is approved, that starts the clock ticking on other reg-required reporting and audits, not the least of which are:

Finance, Logistics, and Comms.

All I believe are due within 30 days of a new member assuming command.

"That Others May Zoom"

floridacyclist

Here, We have to turn those reports in with the 27.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

flyguy06

My Squadronhas beenaround since 1984 and had 4 commanders. The first one was commander for 8 years. The sencond was CC for 2 years .The third for 20 years and we just got the fourth last month.

You are right about it being hard to find somebody to take the job

Pylon

Quote from: flyguy06 on March 27, 2007, 03:17:00 AM
The third for 20 years...

:o  Wow... 20 years as squadron commander!

Major Carrales

The thing is one has to sell new recruits on the WHOLE of the Civil Air Patrol so that they will find it an enjoyable "turn on the hot seat."  If one makes command a "drag" instead of the benign burden it should be, then it will be a drag.

Support from above and below is crucial.  If Squadron Officers cause undo friction and Group/Wing let the new commander wither on the vine...or if the Squadron Commander is forced to "do it all."  Then that commander will burn out like a cinder.

I know, I have been a Squadron Commander twice in my CAP career.  The first time was horrible; so much so I will not even discuss its details here.

However, the current officers in our unit have made command a pleasure.

I am proud of and am humbled by the CAP Officers in the unit I currently command.  They are the best CAP Officers...the most dedicated in their desire to see the Unit mature into an operational and functional squadron and are the closest of friends I have.

If I have been a great Commander, it is not so...it is that I have had the opportunity to command a great Squadron.

God bless 'em!!!

Squadron Commanders are only mere CAP Officers, their sucess comes from a strong staff and support from other (proximate) Commanders and mentoring from understanding Group/Wing Officers.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

flyguy06

Quote from: Pylon on March 27, 2007, 03:18:26 AM

I'm sorry. Not 20 years. 13 years. 94 until 07

Pylon

Quote from: flyguy06 on March 28, 2007, 09:56:44 AM

Still, that's well over a decade and quite a term of office! 

captrncap

Quote from: Eclipse on March 26, 2007, 05:45:09 PM
The other thing which >is< (too often) ignored, but shouldn't be, is that once the 27 is approved, that starts the clock ticking on other reg-required reporting and audits, not the least of which are:

Finance, Logistics, and Comms.

All I believe are due within 30 days of a new member assuming command.

Does anyone know what template is used for these audits? I didn't see anything in the regs that say what items should be included i the audit?

flyguy06

Quote from: Pylon on March 28, 2007, 12:59:23 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on March 28, 2007, 09:56:44 AM

Still, that's well over a decade and quite a term of office! 

Like I have said in previous poss. He doenst take CAP as seriously as some people I see on this board. He did complete RSC and the NSC. But he doesnt participate in ES (Has never held a ES rating) He is an orientation pilot but has probably done one O-ride since he's been a member.

Thats what I have been saying al along. Our meetings are probably differnet that a lot of units ut there.But then again, they probably are not. I am just honest enough to admit it.

ZigZag911

Quote from: Eclipse on March 26, 2007, 03:23:28 PM
In Wings ith groups >generally< the Group CC appoints unit CC's, with final approval being the Wing CC.

Generally this is the case, because Groups tend to be in larger wings (either number of members or more spread out geographically), and this the Group CC has more immediate knowledge of candidates for squadron command.

The Wing Cc or CV (can be delegated) needs to approve CAPF 27, and thus the appointment.

ZigZag911

Quote from: floridacyclist on March 26, 2007, 10:25:58 PM
Here, We have to turn those reports in with the 27.

That's a really good idea, ensures the new commander starts with a clear picture of the unit's financial & materiel condition.