Main Menu

Forum Versus Blog

Started by MIKE, March 13, 2007, 04:20:53 PM

MIKE

Lately I have noticed a number of users refer to CAP Talk as a blog.  Most of you are probably familiar with CAPblog, but do you know what a blog is? Versus a forum or discussion board?

Quote from: merriam-webster.comMain Entry: blog 
Pronunciation: \ˈblȯg, ˈbläg\
Function: noun
Etymology: short for Weblog
Date: 1999
: a Web site that contains an online personal journal with reflections, comments, and often hyperlinks provided by the writer
— blog·ger noun
— blog·ging noun

Quote from: merriam-webster.comMain Entry: fo·rum 
Pronunciation: \ˈfȯr-əm\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural forums also fo·ra  \-ə\
Etymology: Latin; akin to Latin foris outside, fores door — more at door
Date: 15th century
1 a: the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city forming the center of judicial and public business b: a public meeting place for open discussion c: a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas
2: a judicial body or assembly : court
3 a: a public meeting or lecture involving audience discussion b: a program (as on radio or television) involving discussion of a problem usually by several authorities

Emphasis added.

This thread has been brought to you by the word blog and the number 3:)
Mike Johnston

Lancer

Quote from: MIKE on March 13, 2007, 04:20:53 PM
Lately I have noticed a number of users refer to CAP Talk as a blog.

I know exactly what your talking about and thank you for your clarification on the, more than subtle, differences.  ;D

Quote from: MIKE on March 13, 2007, 04:20:53 PM
This thread has been brought to you by the word blog and the number 3:)

singing... It's Blog, It's Blog, It's Better Than Bad, It's Good...

Major Carrales

CAP TALK is, in my definition, a forum.  My litmus test lies in where the movements begin.

For Example, at CAP BLOG...Mixway 6 and a few "bloggers" post an initial thread as a "journal article"...it is then replied to.  But for the most part, the threadsters that go there cannot start their own topics.

CAP TALK and CADETSTUFF allow its members to generate their own threads.  Thus, it is more of an open forum.  

Each has its place, advantages and disadvantages and purpose.  

In Forums, it is easy for a topic to be brought up...discussed, disappear on to abyss page 2.  Then, some time later, it come up again...much to the chagrin of long time threadsters that find it "passe."

In Blogs, whole topics head to the abyss...but get catergorized based on subject.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

ColonelJack

Blogs are also, by and large, very personal journal-type reads.  (Yes, even the rabid right-wing political ones.)  Whereas a forum is, by the definition of the word, a place for all to "sit a spell and talk things over."

I oughta know.  I have a blog.

(So do many of you.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Major Carrales

Quote from: ColonelJack on March 13, 2007, 05:15:29 PM
Blogs are also, by and large, very personal journal-type reads.  (Yes, even the rabid right-wing political ones.)  Whereas a forum is, by the definition of the word, a place for all to "sit a spell and talk things over."

I oughta know.  I have a blog.

(So do many of you.)

Jack

I use a blog as a PAO tool for our unit.  It is a perfect way to get info out in an interactive form and its "moderator" function prevents the meshuggeneh elements from messing it up.

Comments and suggestions are welcome!!!
http://corpuschristicap.blogspot.com/

Commander
SWR-TX-454

ColonelJack

That's a good blog you have there, Major!!  Well done!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

Major Carrales

Quote from: ColonelJack on March 13, 2007, 11:26:43 PM
That's a good blog you have there, Major!!  Well done!

Jack

Thank you...occasionally, I visit "The Colonel's Corner."  I believe I did see a kilt once!!!  What was the tartan, now that I am remined of it?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

ColonelJack

I have four kilts, actually.  Three are my family tartan, MacDonald (an ancestor of mine was in one of the septs, or families, of Clan Donald).  The one you've probably seen is the MacDonald of the Isles ... I also have regular and dress blue MacDonald, and one kilt in the Royal Stewart.  (No, I don't have delusions of grandeur.  Not yet, anyway.)

Thanks for the visits, Major.  Spread the word ... I talk about anything and everything, and there's even some CAP stuff in there once in a while!

Shameless plug over.  We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

carnold1836

Quoteand one kilt in the Royal Stewart.

Keep in mind Col. that one MUST be of the Clan Stewart to wear that tartan, especially in Mother Scotland. Lucky for me my Great-Great-Great-Grandmother was of Clan Stewart.

I figured it out that I just need to eliminate about 7 million people to ascend the Scottish Throne and another 50 or 60 mil for the combined throne of Great Britain  >:D
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

BillB

As King of England, does that get you automatic promotion to LtCol in CAP?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

ColonelJack

Quote from: carnold1836 on March 14, 2007, 12:35:20 PM

Keep in mind Col. that one MUST be of the Clan Stewart to wear that tartan, especially in Mother Scotland. Lucky for me my Great-Great-Great-Grandmother was of Clan Stewart.

I figured it out that I just need to eliminate about 7 million people to ascend the Scottish Throne and another 50 or 60 mil for the combined throne of Great Britain  >:D

I do have a drop or two of Stewart in me ... back in the mists of antiquity (and I am so glad that geneaologists can find this stuff!!).  As for me, I only have to knock off about 3,835 or so to become Earl of Bagley in England ... and I may be two or three thousand behind you for the throne.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

ColonelJack

Quote from: BillB on March 14, 2007, 01:16:03 PM
As King of England, does that get you automatic promotion to LtCol in CAP?

No, but that and five bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbuck's.   ;D

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

Bluelakes 13

We also have a blog for ILWG news.  I or my fellow editor have the only rights to post.  Comments are open, but not encouraged.  Since it's news - not commentary - it has worked well for several years.  Was a big component of getting our Wing an Outstanding for Puiblic Affairs.

http://www.ilcapnews.blogs.com/

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: carnold1836 on March 14, 2007, 12:35:20 PM

Strictly speaking, that's not quite true anymore... According to The Lord Lyon at http://www.lyon-court.com:

There are no strict rules on who has the right to wear a particular tartan. People normally wear only the tartan (if any) of their surname, or a "district tartan" connected with where they live or where their family come from.

Wearing a particular clan tartan indicates that the wearer bears an allegiance to the chief of that clan. A tartan which uses the name of a clan may only do so if the chief of that clan has given his approval to the particular design.

There is no official register of tartan. Records of designs are maintained by the Scottish Tartans Authority, Fraser House, 25 Commissioner Street, Crieff, Perthshire, PH7 3A Y.

The Lord Lyon has no jurisdiction over tartan but if a clan chief wishes, the Lord Lyon will record details of specific clan tartan in the Lyon Records.

The wear of various tartans, however, can probably be considered another case of 'proper v. correct'.

Me personally, I wear a non-tartan black or green kilt for casual wear and Irish National for formal occasions [like my wedding]:

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

davedove

For all those interested in kilts, check out the following forum:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com

I am a member there and it's a great bunch, some of whom have a vast knowledge of kilts, tartans, etc.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Major Carrales

One half of my family can be traced to Asturias, in Spain, the other to the Canary Islands.  The Asturians may have been of Celtic origins, albiet its would be a stretch.

Thus, you shan't see me in any "offical" kilts soon.

To bring this back to the USAF...

Behold...

USAF Reserve with...yikes, is that James Bond?  Dr. Henry Jones, Sr?  Or the guy from RED OCTOBER?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

::) From blogs to kilts... Lock.
Mike Johnston