Meeting locations...Which are the best?

Started by Major Carrales, March 06, 2007, 05:56:41 AM

Major Carrales

This week our unit will be meeting at a new temporary location as we work for a permanent home.

My question is simple, why sort of place is the best?

National Guard Armory?  Red Cross?  Private Industry?  Flight Line?

Not all of us can meet on USAF, Army or Navy installations?

I know what my opinions and goals are, but I would like to solicit testimony from others...

Have at it?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

lordmonar

What ever works.

You need a room that comfortably sits you entire squadron, a place where you can safely drill (assuming a cadet/composite squadron) and a place where the staff and leaders can meet away from the meeting.

We have an office...but we meet in a big conference room at the local Air Port. (we are a senior squadron).  "Work" gets done monday and friday morning where the staff meets at the office to do the paper work.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DNall

The city provides facilities for us. That'll go away in a year after having been there for years & years, and we'll move to one of two other city provided facilities. Build relationships with the community you serve & they serve you back - obviously that means the aviation community is going to be more open to you than others.

Generally you would like a nice facility on the flight line where there's good parking & drill areas w/ immediate access to a large ramp area for major missions, yet in a place where you can put up your antennae.

If you can't get that, then any professional working enviro you don't have to share & can get 24hr access to is good, again with the parking & drill areas.

If that doesn't work then share. Armories are good. Something like a fire dept might be possible.

There's mil facilities in Corpus, can you not get in there somewhere? Coast Guard maybe?

Major Carrales

Quote from: DNall on March 06, 2007, 06:16:53 AM
There's mil facilities in Corpus, can you not get in there somewhere? Coast Guard maybe?

You mean, NAS Corpus Christi or NAS Kinsgville?    Maybe on Sept 10, 2001; but the level of security to have parents drop off children is problematic.

We used to meet at the Corpus Christi Army Depot...security back then asked us to leave because of the numbers of persons.  We cannot secure stickers and passes for the volumens of people...or at least past commanders could not.

'Tis better to meet in a more accessible place.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Becks

Having spent quite a bit of time at them, I like armories.  They often have the necessary office, classroom and drill area for anything you may need.

BBATW

JohnKachenmeister

Reserve Centers or National Guard armories are best.  If you have a college nearby, ROTC armories are also good.

Next down on the list would be airport facilities, if they can be had for free or real cheap.  If you can get exclusive access to a stand-alone building on an airport for free or for cheap, that bumps up to #1.

Farther down the list are VFW/Legion or other veteran group facilities.  Be careful of these, and make sure your meetings are scheduled when the bar is closed.

Another former CAP officer

Chris Jacobs

My squadron meets on the portland airbase.  We had some issues with getting on right after 9-11 but it is almost back to normal.  we all get temporary passes and a list of people comming has to be left at the gate.  we actually have our own building almost to ourselfs.  it is one of the oldest buildings on base i think, but i am not complaining.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

carnold1836

My squadron has the front third of a building on Camp Mabry, Headquarters for the Texas Military Forces is located on base. And all we do is show our photo ID (DL or CAP) and we get on base. For large gatherings such as CTEP or Cadet Comp we provide a list to the gate guards of all attendees and we have no problem.

The nice thing is our building is right by the PX so we have ample access to food and since our building doesn't have a restroom, yet, we can use them in the PX as well.
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

A.Member

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 06, 2007, 05:56:41 AM
My question is simple, why sort of place is the best?
A free one! 

I'm joking (kind of) but certainly you should look to someone to donate a meeting place.   Start by identifying your needs.  This may very slightly based on squadron type but let's assume you're a composite, I'd look for the following (being an ideal situation):

• Geographically central to the majority of your potential/actual membership
  • 2 separate meeting/class rooms - one for cadets, one for seniors (assuming you'll meet concurrently)
  • An area large enough to hold opening and closing formations for your entire squadron (this may simply be one the meeting rooms - or outside)
  • A limited storage area for file cabinets, flags, small amount of supplies.  A small storage closet (or a portion of it) may suffice.
  • Accessibility to power - and ideally the use of a/v equipment
  • Ideally, close to or on the airport (assuming you're a flying squadron - and even if you're not)

A church donates our current meeting space.  They have a fantastic set-up.  We're not at the airport but we are close.  We also had a home in the classroom of a small college for a while.  Look to a school to donate space.  A community center may be another place to look (although they're more likely to charge a fee, even if it is nominal - like I said, free is best!  ;) )
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

MIKE

Compared to the airports, I really preferred the Army Reserve Center.  Had an actual office, access to classrooms, and an indoor heated drill hall.  It was much more conducive to cadet training IMO.  Airports are better for units that will actually be flying regularly.

If I couldn't have a reserve center or guard armory... I'd settle for somewhere that had an indoor basketball court and some office/classroom space.  A track would be nice for the mile run.
Mike Johnston

LtCol White

Churches generally support youth organizations strongly. So for cadet Sq's this is always a good choice since it provides a ready pool of potential cadets.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

SKYKING607

Other than a military facility, I'd say a National Guard Armory is preferred in a local area.   The ANG unit would have the possibility of attracting enlistees from CAP members.  In times of crisis, both organizations could work together.

Second best would be to secure a location at a municipal airport.  If the airport is operated by the local city, secure an MOU to aid each other in times of crisis.  The possibility of having communications and air operations is attractive to a municipal disaster council.

Another possibility would be a Middle School or High School campus.  School officials like having youth groups on the their facilities, especially when it's self insured.  Potential CAP cadet membership base is large, and the AE angle to the school is a plus for school administrators.

Just an opinion.....
CAWG Career Captain

Psicorp

Quote from: Becks on March 06, 2007, 06:49:36 AM
Having spent quite a bit of time at them, I like armories.  They often have the necessary office, classroom and drill area for anything you may need.

That's where my unit meets.  It's great for what we really need, but we can't hang models from the ceiling, can't put up builetin boards or safety posters, have to write CAP on everything to keep stuff from walking away, can't hang models from the ceiling  ;)

A unit a ways South of here, however, was given two hangers that back against each other for office space.  They were given donations to totally renovate them and now they have offices that makes you think you're inside the FBO.  The only drawback...the closest restroom is in the FBO.

A meeting place of your own is always preferable to having to share it, but having meetings is by far more important than where those meetings take place.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

MIKE

IMO, I think units should be able to operate as a kind of Squadron In A Box... Having too much of a footprint can be a real issue for some units meeting locations... Bulletin boards, storage space etc.. Especially when you don't own/rent the facility or have to share with other organizations.

As an example:  My unit moved recently... At our new location we don't have really any space to call our own.  We might get to move in a file cabinet eventually, but that's about it.  The stuff we need each week gets brought to the meeting, but we also have other stuff that now needs to be stored somewhere because there is no where to put it.
Mike Johnston

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on March 06, 2007, 02:57:50 PM
Reserve Centers or National Guard armories are best.  If you have a college nearby, ROTC armories are also good.

Next down on the list would be airport facilities, if they can be had for free or real cheap.  If you can get exclusive access to a stand-alone building on an airport for free or for cheap, that bumps up to #1.

Farther down the list are VFW/Legion or other veteran group facilities.  Be careful of these, and make sure your meetings are scheduled when the bar is closed.

... and make sure that the barflies stay clear of your meetings.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

brasda91

You won't believe this.  Our composite squadron had its own building for years and years and years, close to 50 +.  It was built by a former commander and some friends along with their money.  We paid for all of the operating costs (water and electrical).  Back a few years ago, the county fiscal court told us they were going to apply for a grant and they were going to build us a new building.  That fell through when the National Guard decided to build a regional training center here.  We are being put in with them.  Back before Christmas one of the outgoing county officials decided our building needed to be torn down (the new NG training cntr has not even been being built).  So now, we meet in one of the Armorys.  It seemed like we were in the minority of units that actually had its own private hq.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Psicorp

Quote from: brasda91 on March 06, 2007, 11:35:25 PM
You won't believe this.  Our composite squadron had its own building for years and years and years, close to 50 +.  It was built by a former commander and some friends along with their money.  We paid for all of the operating costs (water and electrical).  Back a few years ago, the county fiscal court told us they were going to apply for a grant and they were going to build us a new building.  That fell through when the National Guard decided to build a regional training center here.  We are being put in with them.  Back before Christmas one of the outgoing county officials decided our building needed to be torn down (the new NG training cntr has not even been being built).  So now, we meet in one of the Armorys.  It seemed like we were in the minority of units that actually had its own private hq.

So, you're saying sir that your building was taking through Eminent Domain?   That really sucketh.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Becks

Quote from: Psicorp on March 06, 2007, 08:06:24 PM
Quote from: Becks on March 06, 2007, 06:49:36 AM

That's where my unit meets.  It's great for what we really need, but we can't hang models from the ceiling, can't put up builetin boards or safety posters, have to write CAP on everything to keep stuff from walking away, can't hang models from the ceiling  ;)

A unit a ways South of here, however, was given two hangers that back against each other for office space.  They were given donations to totally renovate them and now they have offices that makes you think you're inside the FBO.  The only drawback...the closest restroom is in the FBO.

A meeting place of your own is always preferable to having to share it, but having meetings is by far more important than where those meetings take place.

Right, my squadron meets at the Aeroclub here at Chas AFB.  We have our own office but other than that not much to call our own.  I suppose its nice for the pilots as our plane is right out back and is a stone throw from the runway.  I really almost would prefer to have it the armory my guard unit drills at; the indoor drill pad and extra space is a little more conducive to cadet programs that I am involved in.

BBATW

thefischNX01

We meet at an armory, which is nice because it has 2 offices, so I can have separate meetings with my cadets, and a nice large drill area.  The only problem is that our classroom was taken away and turned into an office/locker Room for the drill team.  We get by, though.  There are extra tables and chairs lying around that we just set up and use instead. 

If you can get an armory, I'd say go for it. 
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

RogueLeader

You might want to ensure that you have a seperate area for testing, so the cadets/seniors aren't distracted.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DrJbdm

As someone from my Squadron already pointed out we have really nice facilities at Camp Mabry which is an active NG base. We have the front half of the bld (the back half may come soon, currently it's used by the guard to store water bottles and other such things) In our bld we can pretty much do what we need with it.

we have high speed wireless internet, a phone system, a private office for our Commander, a private radio room, a large office space with Desks for our Officers, a cadet training classroom and a large general room for classes/briefings/ect. We also have a large storage area off of the Officers area for storage of uniforms and equipment and file cabinets. We have copiers and printers as well as a computer area where we have several computers set up. Most Officers just use their laptops at their desks.

The only real downside is that we don't have a restroom....yet.  However as Chris pointed out, we are located a short walk away from the PX complex which is located almost next door to us. We have access to food and restrooms, barber shop, uniform alteration shop and the main PX. We are forming great relations with the NG and may yet take over the entire bld which would easily be able to hold over 200 people once it's configured.

Compared to the other two squadrons in our area, we have the best setup CAP could hope for. One of the squadrons meets outside in the small T hanger at a small airport and the other squadron meets in a office at the State Aircraft Pooling board at Austin Bergstrom International Airport. However, that is a wonderful facility and works PERFECT for running flight ops for SAREX's and actual missions. it's a joy to fly the plane at that facility.

I feel EXTREMELY fortunate to be on a Military installation and to have such a great bld for the unit. We are growing, and there are a few area needing be made better but we have done a lot since taking over the bld a couple of years ago.

mprokosch11

I'm really jealous now  :( , but when you have the privilege of being located on a military base, there is nothing better.

Our squadron meets at a church basement. We have one room all to ourselves for storage. In the summer its not that bad because we have a very large parking lot that no one else uses and it is great for drill. But in the winter we get pretty cramped.

Before 911, our squadron met at a small Army NG Armory, but when 911 happened the armory needed more room and we had to go. (this is what i'm told, but im sure its accurate.)
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

baronet68

Quote from: penguinmaster113 on March 08, 2007, 01:31:10 AM
I'm really jealous now  :( , but when you have the privilege of being located on a military base, there is nothing better.

Don't be too quick to judge.  My squadron meets on McChord AFB and it causes us a big headache in one particular area, base access:

McChord will let CAP members on base with their CAP ID card, but they will NOT let CAP members sponsor any non-members or passengers through the gate (exception, cadets with CAP ID are allowed to have a non-member parent drive them onto the base).  For all other non-members, including CAP spouses, we need to have someone with a DOD ID meet them at the visitor center and personally sign them in. 

Unless you only recruit members from among the military families, recruiting can be a disaster!  In order to make our 3 open houses per year successful we need to get someone with DOD credentials to commit to being at the visitor center for 6 weeks.  Sadly, we lose nearly 75% of our prospective members before they attend their 3rd meeting because they (or more often their parents) don't want to deal with the hassle at the gate.

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Ford73Diesel

Having been a member of three differnet squadrons, I'll add my input

1st squadron

1st building

We met in a building that had sections that were rented out to various groups. CAP got a really good deal, although we had 1 classroom officially, we had access to the entire building the rest of the time. There was also a track in the back for mile runs, and a gym for winter PT. It had a huge outdoor parking lot for drill. It was in a very nice location, unfortunately they found a higher bidder, so we got the boot and had to meet at another nearby unit's building. 

2nd building Tri-C campus in the middle of downtown Cleveland

Worst meeting place besides no meeting place- thats all I'll say about that

3rd building Grays Armory in downtown Cleveland

Decent facilities, I transferred to the squadron that met there.

3rd squadron

National Guard Armory

Great! We have a huge drill hall, storage room, access to several classrooms with projectors and chalkboards. It is close to a highway. HUGE parking lot thats always empty when we are there (for drill and PT) We also have good relationship with the army folks that meet there. We even have our own reflective sign below their sign and a parking space for our CAP truck,genorator on wheels, and trailer. They also give us 24 HR access and let us stay overnight as long as we clear it with the instillation commander.

Hope this helps....

DNall

Quote from: baronet68 on March 08, 2007, 07:38:20 PM
Quote from: penguinmaster113 on March 08, 2007, 01:31:10 AM

Don't be too quick to judge.  My squadron meets on McChord AFB and it causes us a big headache in one particular area, base access:

McChord will let CAP members on base with their CAP ID card, but they will NOT let CAP members sponsor any non-members or passengers through the gate (exception, cadets with CAP ID are allowed to have a non-member parent drive them onto the base).  For all other non-members, including CAP spouses, we need to have someone with a DOD ID meet them at the visitor center and personally sign them in. 

Unless you only recruit members from among the military families, recruiting can be a disaster!  In order to make our 3 open houses per year successful we need to get someone with DOD credentials to commit to being at the visitor center for 6 weeks.  Sadly, we lose nearly 75% of our prospective members before they attend their 3rd meeting because they (or more often their parents) don't want to deal with the hassle at the gate.
That's unfortunate. Have you considered meeting & recruiting in different ways. For instance you'll see Pegasus above there that meets two 8hr saturdays a month. That would reduce the number of times your members need to access the base. Then for recruiting you said you are doing three open house events per year, that's great I would have suggested condensed period of intense recruiting. Is the 6wk delay an issue of them not having a card yet? Caue they're quicker than that, especially if you call & tell them to rush it. Again, this would be less of an issue with the above mtg format - would take one hour twice a month. In general, you guys shuold have a note posted at the gate for problems related to CAP so one of your guys with a CAC can drive over & fix it.

RiverAux

To answer the original question, I don't think it matters WHAT the location is so much as what you have available there to use.  If you've got a meeting room adequate for your desired size, high-speed internet, an office or two, a supply room and a good space for drill outdoors you'll get by.  Ideally you would also have indoor drill space and a second (smaller) meeting room for testing.  Super ideally you would be on an airport and have a hanger for your CAP airplane. 

Regarding meeting on a military base, I think that currently there are more minuses than pluses associated with it, for many of the reasons given above.  However, if CAP were more focused on providing direct support to the AF, then an on-base meeting site would be a big help. 

MIKE

Some meeting locations don't even have a phone line, let alone high-speed Internet.
Mike Johnston

DNall

Quote from: MIKE on March 10, 2007, 11:23:52 PM
Some meeting locations don't even have a phone line, let alone high-speed Internet.
We don't right now, not worth the money just to have dial up internet a couple times a week. Everyone uses cell phones anyway, for everything.

Quote from: RiverAux on March 10, 2007, 11:14:47 PM
To answer the original question, I don't think it matters WHAT the location is so much as what you have available there to use.  If you've got a meeting room adequate for your desired size, high-speed internet, an office or two, a supply room and a good space for drill outdoors you'll get by.  Ideally you would also have indoor drill space and a second (smaller) meeting room for testing.  Super ideally you would be on an airport and have a hanger for your CAP airplane. 
The question was WHAT kind of space best provides those qualities, as well as what particular qualities do you feel are a priority & why.

RiverAux

Well, I was acting on the assumption that we would like the option of using any CAP squadron meeting location as a mission base.  Obviously, that isn't always going to be possible for one reason or another and in some situations (multiple squadrons in the same metro area), not necessary. 

However, if we are talking about the ideal squadron location, it would have both telephone and high speed internet because it is now almost impossible to run a CAP mission without internet access.  Yes, there are a few ways to work around this, but they aren't the ideal. 

floridacyclist

It's not just mission stuff that makes internet desirable, much of the administrivia is online too. I hated waiting through a 20-minute CAPWATCH download or spending 2 hours trying to download and install printer drivers.

Putting cadets online for test-taking or helping them update their Eservices are other big bonuses.

Do you still submit paper CAPF2As?
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org