Main Menu

Protocol in Classrooms

Started by Okayish Aviator, June 22, 2019, 09:52:01 PM

Okayish Aviator

Hello all,

I have looked everywhere I can think, and haven't been able to find it, so I'm reaching out in the hope someone on here knows where it is:

Where would one find regulatory guidance on the protocols for classroom environments? When you call the room to attention/don't call to attention, what are the exceptions, etc.? If a class instructor invokes classroom protocol, is that overridden when certain command staff come in? Like Group CC or Wing CC (or higher)

I was told one thing but am aware it's been done other ways, and wish to do my due diligence if I'm going to quote something or change what I'm doing with regard for protocol.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

NIN

This has generally been on a case by case, unit by unit basis.

Some units demand things like everybody at attention before taking seats, others have everybody pop to when the instructor enters, etc.

Big thing to remember, really, is that it's not appropriate to interrupt a block of instruction to call av room to attention. The focus is on the instruction, and no officer worth his or her salt would expect that.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Respect_On_Display__CAPP_151_A1658A31B2A97.pdf

COMING TO ATTENTION
Key Principle
It is customary for all members to come to attention when the commander enters the room.

Finer Points

• If an officer who is higher ranking than anyone present enters the room, the first person to notice commands, "Room, ATTENTION." If
only senior members or officers are present, the first to notice the commander uses the more cordial, "Ladies and gentlemen, the commander" instead.

• In a classroom, conference setting, or work environment, these customs are usually relaxed.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Still being a relative newbie in CAP as its just been 3 and 1/2 years ... how common is the "Room, ATTENTION." thing in CAP at all, assuming we are talking about Senior meetings?  I've been to many meetings, SAREXs, Wing meetings and training sessions, and I have never seen it done. For that matter, I have yet to see a Senior salute another. (Do see all this with Cadets)  I'm assuming its a very regional thing maybe, or even varies widely by Squadrons?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SarDragon

Yell and stand is primarily a cadet thing. I see it once in a while at senior activities if it's something formal, but most of the time meetings are pretty laid back. When I was around cadet activities, I had a signal for the cadet leaders, so they wouldn't need to interrupt proceedings just because I was coming to observe.

As for saluting, it's generally only done in AF-style uniforms, so all the folks in corporates rarely have/get the opportunity. Again, it mostly occurs when there are cadets around, or during ceremonies.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on June 22, 2019, 10:50:38 PM
As for saluting, it's generally only done in AF-style uniforms, so all the folks in corporates rarely have/get the opportunity. Again, it mostly occurs when there are cadets around, or during ceremonies.

Disagree with both assertions, though your personal mileage may be different.

Full courtesies are expected regardless of uniform, including golf shirts.

If people don't do it properly, remind them nicely.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on June 23, 2019, 01:22:11 AM

Yes, my mileage varies a bit. I learned - no hat, no salute. Since there is no prescribed hat for corporate uniforms, salutes are not required. Also, since there is no rank insignia worn on the polo shirt, wearers of that  uniform cannot be distinguished as officer or otherwise. Not all SMs rate a salute.
Aside from all that, where does it directly specify that salutes are exchanged in corporate uniforms? Just a paragraph number will do; you don't need to put a whle quote on here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: SarDragon on June 23, 2019, 08:30:42 AM

Yes, my mileage varies a bit. I learned - no hat, no salute. Since there is no prescribed hat for corporate uniforms, salutes are not required. Also, since there is no rank insignia worn on the polo shirt, wearers of that  uniform cannot be distinguished as officer or otherwise. Not all SMs rate a salute.
Aside from all that, where does it directly specify that salutes are exchanged in corporate uniforms? Just a paragraph number will do; you don't need to put a whle quote on here.

No hat, no salute is a thing in the sea services. Not so in the Army or the Air Force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

NIN

Quote from: SarDragon on June 23, 2019, 08:30:42 AM

CAPP 151, page 3.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

LSThiker

Salutes are exchanged only in the white aviator shirt, corporate flightsuit, and corporate field uniform.  Salutes are not exchanged in polo or blazer combinations:

Quote from: CAPP 151For senior members, the rendering of customs and courtesies is expected when wearing a military-style uniform (all uniform combinations except the polo shirt and blazer).

PHall

Quote from: LSThiker on June 23, 2019, 12:46:23 PM
Salutes are exchanged only in the white aviator shirt, corporate flightsuit, and corporate field uniform.  Salutes are not exchanged in polo or blazer combinations:

Quote from: CAPP 151For senior members, the rendering of customs and courtesies is expected when wearing a military-style uniform (all uniform combinations except the polo shirt and blazer).

In other words, uniforms where grade insignia is worn. (Though there is grade insignia on the blazer nametag, but it's pretty small.)

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on June 23, 2019, 09:16:12 AM
No hat, no salute is a thing in the sea services. Not so in the Army or the Air Force.

OK, but generally no saluting indoors when also no hats ... also let us not forget that there's no saluting in mess dress.

NIN

Correct: _generally_ you do not exchange salutes indoors, except when reporting.

It is my understanding that the Navy and Marines don't salute when reporting, except when under arms (at which point, they generally have a hat on, which conforms to their "no hat, no salute. Hat, salute" rule)

But we follow the AF rule, which is pretty much "no saluting without a hat, except when reporting."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on June 23, 2019, 03:54:09 PM
OK, but generally no saluting indoors when also no hats ... also let us not forget that there's no saluting in mess dress.

Cite "no hats" in a CAP context.

"Pretty much" doesn't fly.

Is it irony how "important" this stuff is, except for 1/2 the adult leadership (arguably the ones doing the lion's share) supposedly doesn't get to play?

Or maybe the word I'm looking for is "hypocrisy"?

A butter bar with 15 minutes in gets saluted because he's got a hat on, but the National CC doesn't
because he's wearing the Realtor jacket?

Yeah, no.

"That Others May Zoom"

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: Eclipse on June 23, 2019, 04:22:42 PM
Cite "no hats" in a CAP context.

I was saying that hats are not generally worn indoors, and there is also generally no saluting indoors. Hence, it is generally the case that one doesn't exchange salutes except when wearing a hat. I'm not saying it's a regulation, nor that is universally the case.

Eclipse

Q: Generally based on what?

A: A wives tale, probably propagated by people with a vested interest.

I can't begin to imagine any other reason one member would encourage another not to render a salute or courtesies
based on what they are wearing, and doubly for cadets, who should really be saluting every adult member (except for those
who have self-selected wearing grade-equivalence from another service).

"That Others May Zoom"

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: Eclipse on June 23, 2019, 04:46:52 PM
Q: Generally based on what?

e.g. CAPP151 "Respect on Display" p. 5: "Indoors, salute officers only when formally reporting (ie: when called forward to receive an award)."?

It's unclear to me whether there is some no-salute cabal within CAP that concerns you; I'm not part of it, but I don't expect cadets to salute me indoors.

Eclipse

This isn't about "indoors" it's about the "no hat" nonsense.

Considering a hat isn't required for any corporate uniform, and 2 major variants don't have head gear,
that doesn't fly.

And yes there are members who will ignore a field grade officer in whites, even their CC, while at the same time dressing
down others for not saluting or acknowledging them.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

What Squadron/ Wing follows all this to the letter. I'd like to visit sometime and see it all in action. Wing Commander walks in a room here and everyone just keeps chatting. My Wing is VERY casual.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"