Main Menu

ABUs

Started by MadGrak, September 15, 2011, 05:14:12 AM

okeecap

Oh, that is the one I was referring to, it was very sharp and was unique to the civil air patrol, it kinda look air force but not really.  That is what CAP needs something of its own something original.  The talk of the ABU and when and all that is good, but why not come up with something of our own unique to our purposes.  Like the BDU for example why blend with the woods why not have something that sticks out like the DCU no body uses that.

Майор Хаткевич

You still need a safety vest, so does it matter?

tsrup

Quote from: okeecap on November 21, 2012, 02:09:59 AM
Oh, that is the one I was referring to, it was very sharp and was unique to the civil air patrol, it kinda look air force but not really.  That is what CAP needs something of its own something original.  The talk of the ABU and when and all that is good, but why not come up with something of our own unique to our purposes.  Like the BDU for example why blend with the woods why not have something that sticks out like the DCU no body uses that.

Or the ABU, that does't blend into anything.
Paramedic
hang-around.

usafcap1

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 20, 2012, 03:51:44 PM
Quote from: usafcap1 on November 20, 2012, 09:11:17 AM
3. If we get I think only SM's should wear them. Because. . . well really a 12 year old wearing ABU's, come on. But that's just what I think.

Really? Kinda like 12 year olds wearing AF uniforms currently? Like 13 year old sea cadets wearing the Navy digitals? 14 year old AFJROTC?

What is it exactly that makes you think overweight SMs wearing it incorrectly is better than cadets? You spent 4 years as a cadet and earned two stripes. I don't think youre in a position to make that statement based on your cadet experience or your short SM experience.

I'm sorry I thought we were talking about CAP not what other org's do!
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

usafcap1

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 20, 2012, 03:51:44 PM
Quote from: usafcap1 on November 20, 2012, 09:11:17 AM
3. If we get I think only SM's should wear them. Because. . . well really a 12 year old wearing ABU's, come on. But that's just what I think.

What is it exactly that makes you think overweight SMs wearing it incorrectly is better than cadets? You spent 4 years as a cadet and earned two stripes. I don't think youre in a position to make that statement based on your cadet experience or your short SM experience.

I have had this thought re ABU's for a long time. But your right what do I know.

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

usafcap1

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 20, 2012, 06:36:27 PM
I call them like I see them. He is someone who wore AF uniforms for 4+ years, didn't do what he had to as a cadet, yet now as a SM thinks it's silly for cadets to wear uniforms

FYI When I was a cadet NO ONE EVER TOLD ME WHAT HAD TO BE DONE TO GAIN RANK. I didn't have friends in CAP. I was in the dark for three years.

BTW I didn't say cadets shouldn't wear uniforms. I didn't said "I don't think they should wear the new ABU's".

(Cadet 2008-2012)

usafcap1

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 20, 2012, 06:49:30 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 20, 2012, 06:36:27 PM
I call them like I see them. He is someone who wore AF uniforms for 4+ years, didn't do what he had to as a cadet, yet now as a SM thinks it's silly for cadets to wear uniforms

There are a few out there who don't think we should even HAVE uniforms. I'm not one of them.

I'm not one of them either. Just don't feel cadets should wear ABU's. They can wear BDU's all day.

(Cadet 2008-2012)

billford1

I suppose I'm asking about what's already been said, but is the ABU in stone for CAP? If so we should all wear them. If not we should all wear BDUs.

okeecap

If anything the cadets should be the only ones wearing the ABU, this program is for the cadets.  The cadets like to be and feel like part of the AF, and people in most cases can tell cadets are not active duty.  Seniors can get them if there are any left but the cadets should be the priority if we get them.  Saying only seniors should wear them is like saying only seniors are part of CAP,  remember our missions Aerospace education, Emergency services, and Cadet programs.....not senior programs. 

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: okeecap on November 22, 2012, 09:15:01 PM
If anything the cadets should be the only ones wearing the ABU, this program is for the cadets.  The cadets like to be and feel like part of the AF, and people in most cases can tell cadets are not active duty.  Seniors can get them if there are any left but the cadets should be the priority if we get them.  Saying only seniors should wear them is like saying only seniors are part of CAP,  remember our missions Aerospace education, Emergency services, and Cadet programs.....not senior programs.

CAP is NOT FOR the cadets. CAP is for every member. The CADET PROGRAM is for the cadets, if you want an organization that is FOR kids, look at the boy scouts. This is a service for the people of the United States. We are here to help people, save lives when they need saved, educate people about aerospace, and to help the youth become productive adults. Those are our THREE missions.

DO NOT THINK CAP IS JUST FOR KIDS, yes, we have programs for kids, but we are not an organization that is for kids only. ES training isn't just an activity for cadets to have something to do. It is a vital part of our service to the United States of America and it's citizens. We save lives, and its part of our job.

Garibaldi

Well said, Manfred. While there are statistically more cadets than seniors, how can you say CAP is just for kids? They don't do the flying, they don't get called out to search for a missing plane, they can't drive...well, I can see how you MIGHT think it's for kids IF all seniors do is support the cadet program, but we don't. That's why we have senior squadrons and composite squadrons. Three legs of the milkstool, my friend. All interlocked and nearly dependent on one another.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Brad

Quote from: billford1 on November 22, 2012, 08:29:17 PM
I suppose I'm asking about what's already been said, but is the ABU in stone for CAP? If so we should all wear them. If not we should all wear BDUs.

If you want to know the answer you'll need this:

Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

The CyBorg is destroyed

If anything the cadets should be the only ones wearing the ABU, this program is for the cadets.  The cadets like to be and feel like part of the AF, and people in most cases can tell cadets are not active duty.

You need a comprehensive review of our three missions:

1. Aerospace Education
2. Cadet Programmes
3. Emergency Services

CP is NOT the be-all and end-all of CAP, any more than the "golf-shirt-only brigade" would try and have us believe that we should be "all ES, all the time."

The closest thing to what you're suggesting would be a cadet squadron.  I served in a cadet squadron for several years and even then it's not just cadets.

Even the first CAP person I ever talked to tried to tell me that "our adult members are there basically to serve as counsellors for the cadets."  I'm glad I was too stubborn to let that dissuade me.

Confused with active duty?

Well...an 18-21 year old cadet officer wearing blue shoulder marks looks a lot more like an AF officer than I do at 46 years old...or than I did in earlier years wearing the CSU.

The "confusion with active duty" lies a heck of a lot more in the eye of the confused one than in the one being confused.

AND...FYI...I like to be just as much a part of the Air Force, its mission, its history and heritage as much as any cadet.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

billford1

Quote from: Brad on November 22, 2012, 10:42:25 PM
Quote from: billford1 on November 22, 2012, 08:29:17 PM

If you want to know the answer you'll need this:

I'm sorry Brad but your explanation is too subtle for me.  I remember that thing. They went out of style when the nice HP calculators were available.
Do we just surmise "the answer is blowing in the wind"?

usafcap1

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 22, 2012, 10:06:21 PM

CAP is NOT FOR the cadets. CAP is for every member. The CADET PROGRAM is for the cadets, if you want an organization that is FOR kids, look at the boy scouts. This is a service for the people of the United States. We are here to help people, save lives when they need saved, educate people about aerospace, and to help the youth become productive adults. Those are our THREE missions.

DO NOT THINK CAP IS JUST FOR KIDS, yes, we have programs for kids, but we are not an organization that is for kids only. ES training isn't just an activity for cadets to have something to do. It is a vital part of our service to the United States of America and it's citizens. We save lives, and its part of our job.

+1  Thank you!!!

(Cadet 2008-2012)

okeecap

I was not trying to say that CAP was only for cadets, I was saying the Uniforms mainly benefited the cadets because if I were only allowed to wear a polo id be fine and could still do my job.  No it takes cadets and seniors to do the jobs of the CAP.  now is was simply responding to the cadets not being allowed to wear ABUs, because personally I do not like them they are expensive and ugly.  But most of the cadets think they are better than sliced bread so let the kids have them im happy with my bdus and my polo.

abdsp51

So let say hypothetically speaking NHQ says ABUs can now be worn but oh BTW we are axing the polo shirt, then what are you going to do?

NCRblues

Quote from: abdsp51 on November 23, 2012, 03:05:33 AM
So let say hypothetically speaking NHQ says ABUs can now be worn but oh BTW we are axing the polo shirt, then what are you going to do?

Dance the dance of joy and happy!!!
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

abdsp51

Quote from: NCRblues on November 23, 2012, 03:17:37 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on November 23, 2012, 03:05:33 AM

Dance the dance of joy and happy!!!

Freaking cops  lol..

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: usafcap1 on November 22, 2012, 07:22:34 PM
I'm sorry I thought we were talking about CAP not what other org's do!

Ok, how are our "kids" different from any of the others who get ABUs?

Quote from: usafcap1 on November 22, 2012, 07:29:41 PM
I have had this thought re ABU's for a long time. But your right what do I know.

You can have any thoughts you want, but people will call you on it when they are asinine.

Quote from: usafcap1 on November 22, 2012, 07:35:25 PM
FYI When I was a cadet NO ONE EVER TOLD ME WHAT HAD TO BE DONE TO GAIN RANK. I didn't have friends in CAP. I was in the dark for three years.

Is that an excuse? You were 17, you couldn't ask someone? Look up the regulations? Just what exactly did you do in CAP for four years?

Quote from: usafcap1 on November 22, 2012, 07:35:25 PM
BTW I didn't say cadets shouldn't wear uniforms. I didn't said "I don't think they should wear the new ABU's".

Why?

Quote from: usafcap1 on November 22, 2012, 07:48:52 PM
I'm not one of them either. Just don't feel cadets should wear ABU's. They can wear BDU's all day.

What's the difference?