Cadet Sponsor recieving ribbons

Started by Timber492, August 13, 2009, 04:46:53 PM

brasda91

Quote from: D2SK on August 13, 2009, 09:10:20 PM
Quote from: Timber492 on August 13, 2009, 08:50:03 PM
So if that is the case, I or anyone else for that matter would have to wait an extra month for the promotion simply because someone else took their time getting the info into the system.

A whole extra month?  That's a lot of back pay and benefits you are due.  So you had to wait, what...four extra meetings before you could wear your gold bar?  Yeah, I can see where that would be a huge issue.

It's the principal behind promotions.  Not to mention it shows a lack of the squadron leadership not knowing the reg's.  Being promoted on a timely manner is what we get instead of a pay check.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Timber492

So if that is the case, I or anyone else for that matter would have to wait an extra month for the promotion simply because someone else took their time getting the info into the system.

A whole extra month?  That's a lot of back pay and benefits you are due.  So you had to wait, what...four extra meetings before you could wear your gold bar?  Yeah, I can see where that would be a huge issue.

Well, when you put it that way, I can understand how some might think it's frivolous to worry about. 

But the problem that I have come to find is not so much for me but for others.  Others being Cadets who strive and work hard to get to where they want to be. 

I have a Cadet that is one lower rank than he should be simply due to being tired of continuously asking personnel to enter info of their accomplishments into the system and it never getting done.  So, what is that teaching our cadets when it comes to accomplishments?  They only matter when we feel it matters, or maybe it will matter when I have the time to do it? 

Needless to say, that cadet is leaving our unit because of that attitude by certain seniors! 

D2SK

Quote from: Timber492 on August 13, 2009, 09:25:33 PM

Well, when you put it that way, I can understand how some might think it's frivolous to worry about. 

But the problem that I have come to find is not so much for me but for others.  Others being Cadets who strive and work hard to get to where they want to be. 

I have a Cadet that is one lower rank than he should be simply due to being tired of continuously asking personnel to enter info of their accomplishments into the system and it never getting done.  So, what is that teaching our cadets when it comes to accomplishments?  They only matter when we feel it matters, or maybe it will matter when I have the time to do it? 

Needless to say, that cadet is leaving our unit because of that attitude by certain seniors!

If the unit is truly dysfunctional, moving to a place that has it together is always a good option.  Why suffer?
Lighten up, Francis.

Timber492

QuoteIf the unit is truly dysfunctional, moving to a place that has it together is always a good option.  Why suffer?

Please don't take this personally; but that statement and way of thinking in my opinion is just as detrimental to the core belief of CAP as the statement and way of thinking of "This is only a volunteer group, so you can't expect much from everyone"!! 

I am in my unit, and I plan to stay in my unit.  I owe it to the cadets and seniors that want to dedicate themselves to making our unit exactly what CAP needs us all to be!  I not here just to wear a uniform, in some crazy way I actually believe I can make a difference; not only for the cadets, but also CAP as a whole.   

NC Hokie

Quote from: D2SK on August 13, 2009, 09:42:33 PM
If the unit is truly dysfunctional, moving to a place that has it together is always a good option.  Why suffer?

That works great in the city, but it isn't always an option for those in rural areas.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

brasda91

Quote from: Timber492 on August 13, 2009, 09:25:33 PM
I have a Cadet that is one lower rank than he should be simply due to being tired of continuously asking personnel to enter info of their accomplishments into the system and it never getting done.

Do you have a "promotion ceremony".  A simple one where the cadets are brought before the squadron and promoted in front of everyone?  If so, it's irrelevant on whether or not the info is entered into the system.  We're way behind on entering cadets promotion into the system.  It doesn't mean they're not promoted.  Heck a lot of times I don't even think about entering the info.  As long as we keep their Form 52-1 updated and their Form 66 updated, I work on entering their info later.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

LtCol057

Also, it doesn't have to be the Personnel Officer or Commander that enters the data into the NHQ database.  Why isn't the Deputy Commander doing it?  My Deputy Commander Cadets enters all data re: cadet promotions.  I can then pull up a report anytime I need to see where the cadets stand as far as promotions.

Timber492

That for what I believe is a very good question!  But as far as I have been told, we do not have anyone that is a Deputy; as requested by our personnel office.  They feel it is not the job of the cadets to be doing that line of work.  But as far as I'm concerned, that will all be changing in the future.  Thank you for the insight on this.

EMT-83

Timber,

We had a cadet's mom that wanted to join as a Cadet Sponsor Member, and "help out" where she could. We convinced her to become a full member instead. Her job is to keep cadet records up to date and enter data into the NHQ database. She also coordinates applications for encampments, Hawk, NCSAs, etc.

In a just a few months, she has become one of the most valuable staff members in the squadron. The Deputy Commander for Cadets now spends very little time with administrative details and more time with the cadets.

Eclipse

Quote from: Timber492 on August 15, 2009, 11:38:24 PM
...as far as I have been told, we do not have anyone that is a Deputy..

As far as you've been "told"?  You don't know who your command staff is?

"That Others May Zoom"

brasda91

Quote from: LtCol057 on August 15, 2009, 03:15:36 AM
Also, it doesn't have to be the Personnel Officer or Commander that enters the data into the NHQ database.  Why isn't the Deputy Commander doing it?  My Deputy Commander for Cadets enters all data re: cadet promotions.  I can then pull up a report anytime I need to see where the cadets stand as far as promotions.

I don't have a Deputy Commander for Cadets.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

ßτε

brasda91

Quote from: bte on August 17, 2009, 01:43:29 PM
Quote from: brasda91 on August 17, 2009, 12:54:41 PM
I don't have a Deputy Commander for Cadets.

Why not?

It's not that I don't want one, I simply don't have the manpower.  Well, I guess I do, but only one of the Senior Members I have (except myself) is enrolled the Cadet Programs speciality track.  I know that doesn't make a difference, but they each have their job and we're managing.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Hawk200

Quote from: brasda91 on August 17, 2009, 02:02:59 PMIt's not that I don't want one, I simply don't have the manpower.  Well, I guess I do, but only one of the Senior Members I have (except myself) is enrolled the Cadet Programs speciality track.  I know that doesn't make a difference, but they each have their job and we're managing.

Then who's handling your cadets?

brasda91

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 18, 2009, 12:21:00 AM
Quote from: brasda91 on August 17, 2009, 02:02:59 PMIt's not that I don't want one, I simply don't have the manpower.  Well, I guess I do, but only one of the Senior Members I have (except myself) is enrolled the Cadet Programs speciality track.  I know that doesn't make a difference, but they each have their job and we're managing.

Then who's handling your cadets?

PM sent
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011