Communications Track- NET use

Started by ThorntonOL, April 05, 2009, 07:35:09 PM

ThorntonOL

I'm working on the Communications Track a little at a time and have hit a stone wall. To get Technician I need to check into comm nets and with no radios for our unit I don't have any access to the radio nets.
What now?
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

arajca

ThorntonOL

The radios for our group are well at group HQ, I really don't understand it but any radios for our area are housed at group.
NY-292

Strick

Check with South Central Group to see if you could use the radio at Group Hq to acess the net or send me a PM wth the request.
:)

[darn]atio memoriae

ThorntonOL

NY-292

arajca

I have sent this issue to Lt Col Marek, the National Communications Team Leader.

Lt Col Marek,
   with the transition to narrowband happening and the resultant drop in the number of radios available for members to use, is there a plan to address the net participation requirements in CAPP 214? Not many communications officers will qualifiy to be assigned a radio. Without addressing this issue, progression in the Communications Officer track will effectively be impossible.

Andrew Rajca, Maj, CAP
COWG/DC

Response:
Andrew,

There are plans to revise or replace CAPP 214, but I candidly do not expect this to happen this year, given the demands of the Narrowband Transition.

The Technician requirements, para 3b(5) refer to checking in to 25% of "local nets" each year.

In my opinion, this does not necessarily restrict the member to checking in to wing HF nets.  The "local" net could be a squadron VHF net.  It could be a squadron simplex net. Heck, it could be a regular net on ISR radios, as far as I am concerned, as long as good procedures are used.

So the big question is how you define a "local" net, and whether that definition stretches the intent past the breaking point.

If you have daily morning and evening HF nets, the 25% rule is pretty challenging for anybody to achieve, even if they DO have a radio.  If the "local" net is once a week, maybe on VHF, or maybe even it is a "local" HF net called by YOUR squadron on the squadron meeting night using the squadron radio (even if members in other units check in).

I do not want you to be so creative that you pass beyond the intent of the reg, but you do not need to take the most restrictive interpretation, either.  :-)

In the final analysis, if the unit commander and the unit Comm officer honestly believe that the member has been a regular participant in whatever the unit considers to be the "local" net, to the tune of at least 1 in 4, I think that the requirement is met.

-Mike-

Since he appearently missed the point, I sent a clarification email. Waiting on a reply on that.

cap235629

I am currently working on my senior rating and ran into the same issue.  I look forward to the response you receive
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: arajca on April 07, 2009, 05:17:23 AM
I have sent this issue to Lt Col Marek, the National Communications Team
In my opinion, this does not necessarily restrict the member to checking in to wing HF nets.  The "local" net could be a squadron VHF net.  It could be a squadron simplex net. Heck, it could be a regular net on ISR radios, as far as I am concerned, as long as good procedures are used.

So the big question is how you define a "local" net, and whether that definition stretches the intent past the breaking point.

Hmm, I guess we would need to know if your squadron has ANY radio equipment provided including ISR's ???.  I would think that even if you bought some FRS radios (look at Uniden Direct from time to time for some refurbished ones on sale),  perhaps some that had the "scrambled" mode on them and just use them for training.  Just be sure you don't use Channel 1 (too many "technically challenged" people use this channel) OR anything above channel 14. which you would need a license for. 

BTW has anyone been able to personally buy an ICOM 4008A, IntraSquad Radio?  Not sure many wings are letting their members do this :-\
RM

caprr275

from what I have been told from COMM NHQ members are not aloud to buy ISRs

desertengineer1

Quote from: caprr275 on April 16, 2009, 02:10:49 AM
from what I have been told from COMM NHQ members are not aloud to buy ISRs

ISR's (ICOM 4008's and equiv) are approved for mission and training activities.

FRS's are NOT approved for mission related activities, but CAN be used for local training and non CAP activities such as parking at events and the like.

VHF Radios are supposed to be the primary comm radios.  ISR's are for mission base support and member-member (intra-squad).  This should always be reflected as such in mission (or SAREX) comm plans.  FRS's are outright not allowed in SAREX's or real missions.

Hope this helps.

arajca

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on April 15, 2009, 11:12:07 PM
Quote from: arajca on April 07, 2009, 05:17:23 AM
I have sent this issue to Lt Col Marek, the National Communications Team

Hmm, I guess we would need to know if your squadron has ANY radio equipment provided including ISR's ???.  I would think that even if you bought some FRS radios (look at Uniden Direct from time to time for some refurbished ones on sale),  perhaps some that had the "scrambled" mode on them and just use them for training.  Just be sure you don't use Channel 1 (too many "technically challenged" people use this channel) OR anything above channel 14. which you would need a license for. 

BTW has anyone been able to personally buy an ICOM 4008A, IntraSquad Radio?  Not sure many wings are letting their members do this :-\
RM
FRS are fine for training. As for staying below Channel 14, that actually depends on what FRS model you have. I have one the splits the unlicensed channels - 1-10 FRS, 11-22 GMRS, 22-35? FRS. Don't know why. The instructions for the radios should tell you where the FRS ends and GMRS begins. Stay off the GMRS frequencies because 1. you need a license and 2. CAP is not allowed to operate on them.

National has said ISR nets are fine for the Comm track ratings requiring net participation. Just keep in mind for a net to count, it must be conducted twice a week at a minimum.

IceNine

I'll continue the search, there used to be a few wings that would grease the wheels for purchase of ISR's.

Mine was one, but the form is MIA now.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4