question about NCO PD progression

Started by Tim Medeiros, June 20, 2008, 05:35:46 PM

Tim Medeiros

I was just wondering about professional development for prior service NCOs.  Is it even possible for a CAP NCO who hasn't completed an SNCO Academy to attain Level 5?  Or is their only option to become a CAP Officer?
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

mikeylikey

Why wouldn't they be able to attend Region Staff and National Staff College?  Does it specifically say you have to be a CAP Officer to go? 

You can always take AFIADL courses instead of resident CAP courses.  The PD reg does make a reference to that. 
What's up monkeys?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 20, 2008, 06:04:39 PM
Why wouldn't they be able to attend Region Staff and National Staff College?  Does it specifically say you have to be a CAP Officer to go? 

You can always take AFIADL courses instead of resident CAP courses.  The PD reg does make a reference to that. 

7-2. National Staff College (NSC).
The NSC is the executive-level, in-residence course for senior members who aspire to high-level leadership in CAP. The
NSC provides CAP officers the types of developmental experiences required to operate complex programs. Consequently,
CAP encourages present and potential wing and region commanders to attend. It also encourages squadron and group
commanders who have attended RSC to apply. Personnel desiring to attend the NSC must hold the grade of major or above
(this is not waiverable) and have completed a RSC or equivalent (Attachment 2).

c) Air Command and Staff College Correspondence Program, AFIADL Courses 00030A-F. This is an
advanced-level Air Force program available to senior members who hold the grade of major or above as an optional portion
of Level IV or V. Enrollees should refer to CAPP 8, Test Control Officer Guide to Air Force Institute For Advanced
Distributed Learning for specific enrollment procedures.

d) Air War College, Course 00042A-D. Air War College (AWC) is an advanced-level Air Force program
available to senior members who hold the grade of lieutenant colonel or above as an optional portion of Level IV or V. Non-
Air Force (including CAP) members must enroll on the web site at: http//www.au.af.mil/au/awc/ns-enroll.htm. Enrollees
should refer to CAPP 8, Test Control Officer Guide to Air Force Institute For Advanced Distributed Learning for specific
enrollment procedures.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

mikeylikey

^ That answerers that.  I guess Officer means Officer, not NCO.  I think though you can still sign up for AFIADL SNCO courses that would replace Region and National Staff Colleges.

Guess there are two options.  Become a CAP Officer like everyone without military prior service, or stay a CAP NCO, knowing you can't progress in the PRO DEV program past level 3. 

Honestly though......you don't need Region or National Colleges if your an NCO.  You won't be holding a Corporate position as an NCO.....I don't think?

What's up monkeys?

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

mikeylikey

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 20, 2008, 07:37:21 PM
Unless you're the CCMSgt of CAP  >:D

Wasn't that position vacated when the previous National Commander "left".  Was it a Corporate Officer position to begin with?  Did the CAP constitution get changed to include that position??

Just asking...............
What's up monkeys?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 20, 2008, 07:51:37 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 20, 2008, 07:37:21 PM

Wasn't that position vacated when the previous National Commander "left".  Was it a Corporate Officer position to begin with?  Did the CAP constitution get changed to include that position??

I don't know the details of the position created, the comment was more in jest than anything.  Certainly not a corporate officer position or NB member, but a position none the less that was at a national level, which would make sense for the upper level CAP PD courses - just as it does for positions like Region Ops Officer.

lordmonar

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 20, 2008, 07:51:37 PM
Quote from: jimmying on June 20, 2008, 07:37:21 PM

At the Winter NB....Gen C, introduced someone she call the Command Cheif....it was an African-American Woman...I did not get her name.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: lordmonar on June 20, 2008, 08:58:56 PM
At the Winter NB....Gen C, introduced someone she call the Command Cheif....it was an African-American Woman...I did not get her name.

CMSgt Lou Walpus, CAP, of Oklahoma.  Formerly, the LNCO and then the Wing Finance Officer.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Ricochet13

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 20, 2008, 06:56:38 PM
^ That answerers that.  I guess Officer means Officer, not NCO.  I think though you can still sign up for AFIADL SNCO courses that would replace Region and National Staff Colleges.

Guess there are two options.  Become a CAP Officer like everyone without military prior service, or stay a CAP NCO, knowing you can't progress in the PRO DEV program past level 3. 

Honestly though......you don't need Region or National Colleges if your an NCO.  You won't be holding a Corporate position as an NCO.....I don't think?

Technically speaking, prior service NCO's are Non-Commissioned "Officers" referring to the lack of a "commission" as in Commissioned "Officers".   Seeing as CAP "Officers" aren't commissioned, there really isn't any difference between the two groups in CAP.

Eclipse

Quote from: Ricochet13 on June 20, 2008, 10:54:03 PM
Technically speaking, prior service NCO's are Non-Commissioned "Officers" referring to the lack of a "commission" as in Commissioned "Officers".   Seeing as CAP "Officers" aren't commissioned, there really isn't any difference between the two groups in CAP.

Nice try.

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

Quote from: Ricochet13 on June 20, 2008, 10:54:03 PM
Technically speaking, prior service NCO's are Non-Commissioned "Officers" referring to the lack of a "commission" as in Commissioned "Officers".   Seeing as CAP "Officers" aren't commissioned, there really isn't any difference between the two groups in CAP.

Actually, they are Enlisted Members of the military.  There is a difference between the two groups in CAP.  One decided to continue to wear stripes, the other group wears Officer insignia. 

Try not to confuse the military with CAP.  We are all aware that there are no Commissions in CAP.  A CAP Officer is defined in the regs, as is a CAP NCO.
What's up monkeys?