Main Menu

NCO Awards

Started by THRAWN, January 31, 2014, 12:32:47 PM

THRAWN

With the introduction of the new and expanded NCO concept, it's probably a good idea to have some named awards right from the beginning. It wasn't too long ago that the SM program had such inspiring and motivating award names as "Membership Award" and 'Leadership Award". Always reminded me of something from a Moscow suburb....Children's Educational School and Tractor Factory #6....anyway...
My thought is to name the awards for enlisted airmen who have had some impact. Here it goes:
1.   Corporal Vernon Burge Award-completion of the initial NCO training program makes the member eligible for the award and appointment as CAP Staff Sergeant. The award is named for the first enlisted aviator in the US Army.
2.   Sergeant Maynard H. Smith Award-completion of Level 2 of the CAP NCO program makes the member eligible for the award and promotion to CAP Technical Sergeant. The award is named for the first enlisted aviator to receive the Medal of Honor
3.   Staff Sergeant William Pitsenbarger Award-completion of Level 3 of the CAP NCO program makes the member eligible for the award and promotion to CAP Master Sergeant. The award is named for the first enlisted recipient of the Air Force Cross
4.   Chief Master Sergeant Duane Hackney Award- completion of Level 4 of the CAP NCO program makes the member eligible for the award and promotion to CAP Senior Master Sergeant. The award is named for the most decorated airman in the history of the USAF and first living recipient of the Air Force Cross
5.   Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force Paul Airey Award-completion of Level 5 of the CAP NCO program makes the member eligible for the award and promotion to CAP Chief Master Sergeant. The award is named for the first CMSAF.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

MSG Mac

The wheel has just been reinvented!
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

THRAWN

I can't take credit for that, Mac. That goes to Major General Master Sergeant...

Quote from: MSG Mac on January 31, 2014, 01:32:27 PM
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

unmlobo

Like this idea, however I would love to see Sgt John Levitow and CMSgt Richard Etchberger.  I mean the highest award for all Enlisted PME courses is the Levitow Award.  Maybe a small way to incorporate Big Blue into CAP.
Major, CAP
HI WG

THRAWN

That's exactly why I didn't include Levitow. The award already exists. I considered Etchberger...

Quote from: unmlobo on January 31, 2014, 01:51:24 PM
Like this idea, however I would love to see Sgt John Levitow and CMSgt Richard Etchberger.  I mean the highest award for all Enlisted PME courses is the Levitow Award.  Maybe a small way to incorporate Big Blue into CAP.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

jeders

I'd like to see the Sgt Hulka Award.  >:D
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

THRAWN

It would be a bronze bust of a Big Toe mounted atop an EM-50...

Quote from: jeders on January 31, 2014, 01:58:08 PM
I'd like to see the Sgt Hulka Award.  >:D
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Walkman

Quote from: THRAWN on January 31, 2014, 12:32:47 PM
4.   Chief Master Sergeant Duane Hackney Award- completion of Level 4 of the CAP NCO program makes the member eligible for the award and promotion to CAP Senior Master Sergeant. The award is named for the most decorated airman in the history of the USAF and first living recipient of the Air Force Cross

1st, I like your idea overall.

Nitpicky trivia question: I thought Col. "Bud" Day was the most decorated airman? I just finished reading a biography about him and it waas stated as such a few times, as well as by Gen. Welsh during a presentation to USAFA. Was Chief Hackney was the most decorated enlisted airman?

Not that it really matters, though. Both are heroes and worthy or full honors and respect.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: THRAWN on January 31, 2014, 01:42:08 PM
I can't take credit for that, Mac. That goes to Major General Master Sergeant...

Quote from: MSG Mac on January 31, 2014, 01:32:27 PM

First there was HWSRN, now there is MajGenMSgt or MGMSgt for short.

ol'fido

Perhaps, the Adrian Cronauer Public Affairs NCO Award. Goooooooood Morniiiiiiing, C-A-P!!!!!!!!!!
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

The CyBorg is destroyed

There is always Corporal-Captain Radar O'Reilly.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

flyboy53

Don't get me wrong, I respect many of those names. They're an important part of my Air Force history. I even met Duane Hackney when he was a Chief and First Sergeant.

But why do we have to have separate professional development awards for NCOs?

Under the current system, you can apply credit for completion of the NCO Academy or Senior NCO Academy for the various existing PD awards and there still exists in CAPR 35-5 the provision of converting Senior NCOs to CAP officer grades. The 09 NSC had two chiefs attending who were working toward a GRW. Can't we keep that as our top achievement.

One thing about 35-5, though, I thought the NCO system was to be designed for promotions and professional development. Am I missing something, it isn't addressed in that reg.

What's next, career cadet NCOs with their own awards?

MSG Mac

I'm sure they're writing a new 50-17 (50-18?) to cover the NCO program. Should have had the program details in effect before announcing the career NCO program.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

abdsp51

Quote from: unmlobo on January 31, 2014, 01:51:24 PM

No it's not. It's the highest award for ALS not the NCO or SNCO academies or the Joint SNCO Academy.  Please do your homework again before telling half truths.

On another note there are other names that could be put out there.  Like CMSgt Fisk, and TSgt Mathies,  or how about MSgt Wilkinson.  Or better yet how about SrA Jason Cunningham. 

Edited as I shot from the hip. 

MSG Mac

I wish they would just name some of the PD awards after CAP Members. They are only two  Spaatz, who was the First CAP Chairman of the Board, and Mary Feik.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PHall

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 03, 2014, 03:35:22 AM
I wish they would just name some of the PD awards after CAP Members. They are only two  Spaatz, who was the First CAP Chairman of the Board, and Mary Feik.

Neither one of those is a Professional Development award. They're Cadet Program awards.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 03, 2014, 03:35:22 AM

Remember the old posters from the 1960's? The ones showing two cadets posing with one of CAP's newest Senior Members, wearing a khaki shirt with civilian dark trousers?

Announcing, the newest PD award for CAP, named after that esteemed CAP member....

"The Jerry Lewis Award!"

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Private Investigator

Quote from: ol'fido on January 31, 2014, 10:44:24 PM
Perhaps, the Adrian Cronauer Public Affairs NCO Award. Goooooooood Morniiiiiiing, C-A-P!!!!!!!!!!

That is funny. I watch the movie, "Good Morning, Viet Nam" along with "Full Metal Jacket" for Tet on Friday.

Cam on  8)

Eclipse

I suppose it is what it is, but naming more CAP awards after people most members have never heard of and that have little relevance to CAP
seems somewhat self-defeating to me.

How about CAP awards being named after CAP members?

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator