Is it absolutly required for me to fill out my blood type on my F15?

Started by Titan 25, March 01, 2010, 06:38:05 PM

Titan 25

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and I am trying to rejoin CAP after about 2 years. I am in the process of filling out my F15. I thought I would just ask this.... Is it absolutely required for me to fill out my blood type on the form? Because I don't even know what it is and I want to know if I have to go get it checked.

Thanks,

Daniel K. Driskill
C/2d Lt Daniel K. Driskill
Flt. Commander
PHANTOM SQUADRONUTAH WING
MEMBER OF THE 2010 NATIONAL CHAMPION ROCKY MOUNTAIN REGION DRILL TEAM!!

Dracosbane

I'm not seeing where in the CAPR 39-2 where it speaks of cadet membership applications, that it is required to fill out the blood type.  However, it is probably a good idea to have this information for future reference.  If you plan on attending any future activities, you will be required to have this information on a CAP Form 60, which is an emergency notification paper turned in to activity directors.  This will give people that information should an emergency arise. 

Your family physician should have this info, or should be able to get it easily.   

Titan 25

Quote from: Dracosbane on March 01, 2010, 06:51:16 PM
I'm not seeing where in the CAPR 39-2 where it speaks of cadet membership applications, that it is required to fill out the blood type.  However, it is probably a good idea to have this information for future reference.  If you plan on attending any future activities, you will be required to have this information on a CAP Form 60, which is an emergency notification paper turned in to activity directors.  This will give people that information should an emergency arise. 

Your family physician should have this info, or should be able to get it easily.

Allright. I was talking to my Squadron Commander and he just told me that it might not go through if something is left blank. Thanks for the help.
Flt. Commander

Bayareaflyer 44

I can tell you this, as our unit's DP, I have submitted my fair share of both CAPF 12s & 15s.  And while National has held up the application for missing information (the SSN in the upper right corner is the tricky one!), I have never seen an application held up or kicked back for missing blood type.
While this is not an endorsement to just go ahead and omit that info - I believe the application needs to be complete and correct - I just haven't seen National balk at the missing data.

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

Spike

I got one kicked back two months ago.  My fault, as I should have made sure every block was inked in. 

You do need your blood type, it will eventually be useful to you.  Perhaps not today, but one day. 

Thom

Quote from: Spike on March 01, 2010, 07:15:02 PM
I got one kicked back two months ago.  My fault, as I should have made sure every block was inked in. 

You do need your blood type, it will eventually be useful to you.  Perhaps not today, but one day.

Actually, I'm not aware of any circumstance where this is useful these days.  No ER/ED in any remotely developed country is going to act without doing a quick type and match, the risks are too great.

Even the military largely ignores the blood type tapes and either uses O Neg or O Pos for initial treatment, or simply waits the two minutes to type and match before transfusing with red cells.

In any case, so many folks around the world think they know their blood type, but have it wrong, particularly on military IDs, that almost no one trusts the information any more.

So, in short, I'm not sure why knowing that info would be particularly helpful to anyone in normal life in the 21st century.

I'd love to be proven wrong though, since I like the cool factor of my O POS tapes!

Thom

vmstan

I didn't know mine, turned it in blank, it all still got approved.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Pingree1492

It's not required on either the membership application or the Form 60.  I've turned in over a hundred cadet apps over the past few years and only a handful actually had that information on it.

What does get commonly screwed up is the date of birth- make sure you enter it in the format they request.  Your membership application will still get processed, but your DOB may be incorrect, which can be a pain to correct.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

CadetProgramGuy

Getting a blood type is nothing more than a finger prick these days.

1LtNurseOfficer

Donate blood to the ARC.  When you get your fancy wallet card, it will have your blood type on it.

Al Sayre

If you don't know 100% for sure what your blood type is, put UNK (unknown) in the block and you will have no trouble processing it.  It's better to have an "unknown" blood type than an incorrect one on any medical documentation.  one will delay treatment for a couple of minutes the other could potentially kill you.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

brasda91

Quote from: Pingree1492 on March 01, 2010, 08:54:46 PM
What does get commonly screwed up is the date of birth- make sure you enter it in the format they request.  Your membership application will still get processed, but your DOB may be incorrect, which can be a pain to correct.

It's not really a pain.  All you have to do is call National and have it corrected.  If you don't, when you try to log into eServices for the first time, you will enter the correct b-day, but the system won't recognize it, because it's looking for the backwards b-day (per say) therefore not allowing you access.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

JayT

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 02, 2010, 02:01:03 PM
If you don't know 100% for sure what your blood type is, put UNK (unknown) in the block and you will have no trouble processing it.  It's better to have an "unknown" blood type than an incorrect one on any medical documentation.  one will delay treatment for a couple of minutes the other could potentially kill you.

As was said before, no hospital is gonna take a blood type from paperwork without a quick cross type and match. If there's every a situation where a CAP member needs a transfusion after an emergency, I doubt there's even gonna be time to wait for the paperwork on the person to be found and turned over.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JThemann on March 02, 2010, 02:16:29 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on March 02, 2010, 02:01:03 PM

As was said before, no hospital is gonna take a blood type from paperwork without a quick cross type and match. If there's every a situation where a CAP member needs a transfusion after an emergency, I doubt there's even gonna be time to wait for the paperwork on the person to be found and turned over.

IIRC don't most activities require you to carry a CAPF60 on your person, or am I nuts?

SarDragon

Not nuts, but a copy needs to be turned in to the Project Officer or similar person in charge. This theoretically provides easy reference to necessary medical info.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Titan 25

Flt. Commander

Flying Pig

I didnt read all the posts, however, if you would ever need a blood transfusion they will always type your blood anyway just to make sure.  They arent going to take the word of some form.   However, knowing wouldnt be a bad idea, but if you need it, the information stored in your brain probably wont be of much use.

Rowan

I agree with the other posters:  the blood type is not required, but the SSN is.

SarDragon

Quote from: Rowan on March 07, 2010, 03:58:56 PM
I agree with the other posters:  the blood type is not required, but the SSN is.

Well, that's not entirely true, either.

It is not needed at all for any activity totally internal to CAP. The AF is working with CAP to eliminate a need for the SSAN on MSAs, etc.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

Why do we even need SSN's for CAP?  Not like CAP has any way of verifying them.  We dont even use SSN numbers for anything in LE.

When will CAP learn.  A CAP ID card with your ID AND your photo.  Every CAP ID should be issued with a photo.  Case closed.  Abandon those useless non-photo CAP ID cards and just make the photo ID card that we pay $2 for the standard issue.