NASAR Issues Nationwide SAR Responder Safety Alert

Started by Гугл переводчик, September 30, 2015, 05:39:43 PM

RiverAux

Just released -- CAP squadrons must remove all identifying signage from buildings and meeting places and remove information about meeting dates, times, and locations from all publicly available web sites.

{sarcasm}

Although if one were to believe there was a serious threat that would be the first safety measure to take. 

Violence in the US is the lowest its been in the decades, but everyone is so afraid.

Flying Pig

"Remaining unpredictable is the key to hardening yourself against an attack"-Marine Corps Security Force School.

THRAWN

Quote from: RiverAux on October 03, 2015, 12:36:03 PM
Just released -- CAP squadrons must remove all identifying signage from buildings and meeting places and remove information about meeting dates, times, and locations from all publicly available web sites.

{sarcasm}

Although if one were to believe there was a serious threat that would be the first safety measure to take. 

Violence in the US is the lowest its been in the decades, but everyone is so afraid.

You mean pretty much what happened in many places right after 9/11?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

RiverAux

Paul_AK

Violent crime may be at it's lowest level overall, but the kind of people who commit these acts typically fall into two generalized camps. They either research their target for weeks or months and know how to tell uniforms apart, or they see only a uniformed target. Yes, removing all markings from vehicles and dispensing with our uniforms is ludicrous, a little situational awareness never hurt anyone. People are throwing cement blocks at fire trucks or targeting ambulances for their narcotic supply. Even more recent, threatening willdland firefighters or even searchers who get too close to their land or for not doing enough according to their TV fueled, Wikipedia researched experience. And when you consider that our mission taskings may have us at least in the same vicinity as those being targeted we may become a target by association.

Yes, the chances of having to fight through an attack like this are minimal especially outside of large urban centers, but threats exist and prudence must be applied at an intelligent, informed, level. Know what's going on in your area, searchers are more likely to deal with bears or snakes than to be shot at.
Paul M. McBride
TSgt, 176 SFS, AKANG
1st Lt, AK CAP

Earhart #13376

winterg

Funny story. A couple of weeks ago I was leaving for a CAP meeting wearing my BBDUs. As I was pulling out of my neighborhood at a stop sign,  a group of kids all started waving at me saying, "Hi Mr policeman!" 

So, there's that. 

ThatOneGuy

I find that it's not beyond the realm of possibility to get confused with military or law enforcement personnel. Whenever I am doing an event out in public, or even leaving the squadron meeting I have been approached and thanked for service, or asked if I have been "over there."  Followed by "how do you like the Army/Air Force"?

Usually most of the interactions are positive,  but recently we've been getting more dirty looks and have even had people express to me their very advanced and sophisticated vocabulary on a few occasions, but have yet to receive any threats from that crowd. It's not really a common occurrence, but I do think that we should give our members some self awareness training, which will come in handy in day to day life as well as CAP.

Flying Pig

Quote from: winterg on October 05, 2015, 03:35:55 PM
Funny story. A couple of weeks ago I was leaving for a CAP meeting wearing my BBDUs. As I was pulling out of my neighborhood at a stop sign,  a group of kids all started waving at me saying, "Hi Mr policeman!" 

So, there's that.

Ive been standing in line in a green flight suit with Sheriff shoulder patches, a cloth badge sewn to my chest and a full gun belt and a ball cap that says "Sheriffs Air Support Unit" and people ask me how long Ive been in the Air Force.

winterg

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 06, 2015, 10:32:04 AM
Quote from: winterg on October 05, 2015, 03:35:55 PM
So, there's that.
Ive been standing in line in a green flight suit with Sheriff shoulder patches, a cloth badge sewn to my chest and a full gun belt and a ball cap that says "Sheriffs Air Support Unit" and people ask me how long Ive been in the Air Force.

Flying Pig

If I pause long enough, I can see them looking at my patches and still not connecting the dots.  When it gets really amusing is I say "Im not in the Air Force"  and I get "What do you do?"