NASAR Issues Nationwide SAR Responder Safety Alert

Started by Гугл переводчик, September 30, 2015, 05:39:43 PM

Гугл переводчик

(From an email I received, thought it would be good to pass around.)

Over the past months, the nation has seen sporadic but increasing hostility and violence towards law enforcement officials and agencies.  In recent weeks there have been ambush style attacks on law enforcement officials in and out of uniform.  There have been plausible reports recently of SAR responders in vehicles with signage and stickers that have been surveilled or had contact by hostile individuals believing that the vehicle and SAR responders were law enforcement.

In response to this trend, NASAR issues the following safety alert to all uniformed and non-uniformed SAR responders nationwide:

Maintain situational awareness at all times
Remove all identifying stickers and magnetic signs from vehicles
When traveling to and from searches wear a civilian blouse or top over your uniform top if possible
Minimize side trips while in uniform for gas, meals, shopping, etc.
Be aware of your surroundings and those within earshot when discussing SAR
Do not train alone, use the buddy system whenever possible
Have a plan in case you are confronted by a hostile individual(s)

It has been common custom for SAR responder to have related stickers and magnetic signs on their vehicles when traveling.  This practice has typically been to show pride in your volunteer career, and market your SAR team.  A hostile individual could easily use this style of vehicle labelling as an excuse for violence against a SAR volunteer since we are sometimes indistinguishable from a law enforcement or other agency responder.  Do not let your pride make you a target of opportunity.

It has also been common practice for uniformed SAR volunteers to drive to and from searches in uniform.  NASAR recommends that SAR responders wear a civilian jacket or blouse over their uniform shirt when traveling, or wear a civilian shirt when traveling and don their uniform shirt once at the search command post.

NASAR recommends that SAR responders minimize or eliminate side trips for gas, meals, shopping, etc. while in uniform. 

Increase your situational awareness at all times, especially when in public during a search, while training, or discussing SAR related topics in public.

When training, utilize the buddy system.  Watch each others back, there is safety in numbers.

Whenever you are training, responding to or searching, have a plan in case you are approached by hostile individuals.  Brief the plan with the whole team or training group, and have multiple communication options to contact authorities.  Always be able to accurately communicate your location, and situation to law enforcement.

There are other actions that each SAR responder can take to provide a safer environment for themselves and their teammates.  NASAR encourages each SAR response organization to have a safety meeting and develop their own reasonable policies and plans regarding this threat.
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

THRAWN

I've seen a lot of messages like this. We've been told to use extreme discretion when operating government vehicles, watch how and where we present our credentials, been told to avoid wearing "branded" garments, etc. I used to be able to go to the gym wearing an agency/battalion/CAP t-shirt and think nothing of it, now, it's plain blacks...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

RiverAux

Holding Pattern

Quote from: SamuelRosinsky on September 30, 2015, 05:39:43 PM

It has been common custom for SAR responder to have related stickers and magnetic signs on their vehicles when traveling.  This practice has typically been to show pride in your volunteer career, and market your SAR team.  A hostile individual could easily use this style of vehicle labelling as an excuse for violence against a SAR volunteer since we are sometimes indistinguishable from a law enforcement or other agency responder.  Do not let your pride make you a target of opportunity.

It has also been common practice for uniformed SAR volunteers to drive to and from searches in uniform.  NASAR recommends that SAR responders wear a civilian jacket or blouse over their uniform shirt when traveling, or wear a civilian shirt when traveling and don their uniform shirt once at the search command post.

Do not let pride make me a target of opportunity?

How about do not let baseless fear make me hide in the shadows?

In terms of statistical likelihoods, this is literally at the very end of my list of things I will ever worry about. Snakes on a helicopter is a greater concern than this.

Nuke52

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on October 01, 2015, 05:27:38 AM
In terms of statistical likelihoods, this is literally at the very end of my list of things I will ever worry about. Snakes on a helicopter is a greater concern than this.

I have HAD it with these MonkeyFighting SNAKES on this MonkeyFighting  helicopter!

Lt Col
Wilson Awd

THRAWN

Quote from: RiverAux on September 30, 2015, 10:40:19 PM
Overreaction.

In some places. In others, this has been SOP even before all of the recent idiocy.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Flying Pig

Overreaction.

Im not seeing where any of this is an over reaction.  Ive been telling CAP members this for about 10 years. People walking around in LE/Military looking uniforms exercising situational awareness and some basic safety tips that cops use every day is an over reaction?

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 02, 2015, 12:54:15 PM
Overreaction.

Im not seeing where any of this is an over reaction.  Ive been telling CAP members this for about 10 years. People walking around in LE/Military looking uniforms exercising situational awareness and some basic safety tips that cops use every day is an over reaction?

I agree.

While it may be unlikely, it is something I would consider at least talking about---the possibility of being assaulted because of the uniform. There are some people out there with a lot of disdain after recent national events and are crazy enough to do something completely irrational and dangerous. Situational awareness is paramount, and it ties in with our need to act professional in public at all times when in uniform because failure to do so opens wounds for people who see someone wearing a military-style uniform.

Flying Pig

Believe me.... its getting worse.  As someone who wears an LE uniform everyday, i cant go to Subway without the guy behind the counter drilling me about the militarization of law enforcement and Jade Helm conspiracies.   "Well, thats because you are a cop and everyone sees that."  Well, my civilian pilot who wears only a flight suit and a set of small wings on a name patch... no shoulder patches, no badge, no duty belt, gets into these conversations all the time   Ive been a cop almost 20 years and the number of Facebook fueled urban legends are making people lose their minds.

All this announcement is saying is "times are changing......  be smart and use common sense"

RiverAux

Overreaction.

Being aware of your surroundings, sure.  Trying to hide your participation in a group like CAP, no. 

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: RiverAux on October 02, 2015, 06:19:21 PM
Overreaction.

Being aware of your surroundings, sure.  Trying to hide your participation in a group like CAP, no.

I don't see where anyone is trying to hide their participation in CAP as a form of protection? I read the above comments, and if that was implied, I must have missed it.

RiverAux

remove all identifying stickers and magnetic signs from vehicles
cover up your uniform when traveling

Fubar

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 02, 2015, 07:15:26 PMI don't see where anyone is trying to hide their participation in CAP as a form of protection? I read the above comments, and if that was implied, I must have missed it.

I suppose it could be this part:

QuoteNASAR recommends that SAR responders minimize or eliminate side trips for gas, meals, shopping, etc. while in uniform.

Basically, only wear your uniform when performing your duties, hiding the fact you belong to a public safety oriented organization. Wandering around before/after will draw attention to yourself and right now there is a perception that there are people out there looking to do harm to law enforcement or military and don't the take the time to ascertain you are neither.

I suspect Mr. Airborne Bacon on this board can confirm that most cops rarely, if ever wear their uniforms to and from work or at any other time they are not performing their official duties. Most I know ensure there is nothing identifiable on themselves or their vehicles which indicates their profession. I doubt it's due to a lack of pride in their profession, simply history has shown it's a bad idea.

This seems like a reasonable precaution for members of CAP. The rub of course is we have a fair number of folks who enjoy being in a military-style uniform in public, which obviously runs contrary to the advice NASAR is promoting.

EDIT: Oops, I guess I took too long typing, RiverAux beat me to it

TheSkyHornet

That's already been advocated by NHQ and a requirement to minimize your wear of the uniform for non-CAP events. It's not necessarily a safety advocacy proposition. I believe it's more to due with not representing CAP when you're out shopping or dining.

CAPM 39-1:
Field uniform wear is generally restricted to CAP
meeting and activities with a field or training focus, but may be worn away from activities for short
convenience stops and when eating at restaurants where people wear comparable civilian attire. Do not
wear field uniforms to eat in restaurants where most diners wear business attire or at establishments that
operate primarily to serve alcohol.

As you said, you get folks who enjoy being in a uniform in public too much.

I wouldn't go the extent of tearing off a bumper sticker or not wearing a CAP shirt out in public. That's just me, though. I don't think we're a major target for assault/attacks. But be vigilant. Someone wearing the polo and khakis may not get much attention. But you put on BDUs, and you're "militarizing your community" in the eyes of some people.

TheSkyHornet

I was present when our squadron was once confronted by an angry gentleman during a bivouac because we were "playing Army." We've experienced people get nasty with us when we've been in BDUs in a parking lot of an event working parking detail. You do get the occasional nasty remark, but generally it gets brushed off. We have had it wear it started getting serious, with physical threats.

You never know if someone may cross the line because they see someone in a military-style uniform and they're ready to get extra confrontational because it makes them feel good about it. Who knows why? I don't think it's unreasonable to suspect that there could come a day when someone sees us in uniform, assume we're some law enforcement or military organization, and assaults with some kind of weapon.

That's not to say you prepare for a lockdown every time someone new comes to a meeting that you don't recognize. You do the usual welcome/recruiting thing, and move on. But I don't think it's unreasonable to have that discussion with squadron members, especially in regard to getting cadets to report any suspicious activity to a senior member if they feel "something isn't right." Nobody's saying call 911 and get the bomb squad out. But be vigilant and aware of what's going on around you, especially if you're by yourself, and do so while maintaining professionalism at all times.

Nuke52

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 02, 2015, 08:28:41 PMBut you put on BDUs, and you're "militarizing your community" in the eyes of some people.

Yeah, and "some people" in the community need to be taken out back and "militarized."
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Flying Pig

Quote from: Fubar on October 02, 2015, 07:53:11 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 02, 2015, 07:15:26 PMI don't see where anyone is trying to hide their participation in CAP as a form of protection? I read the above comments, and if that was implied, I must have missed it.

I suppose it could be this part:

QuoteNASAR recommends that SAR responders minimize or eliminate side trips for gas, meals, shopping, etc. while in uniform.

Basically, only wear your uniform when performing your duties, hiding the fact you belong to a public safety oriented organization. Wandering around before/after will draw attention to yourself and right now there is a perception that there are people out there looking to do harm to law enforcement or military and don't the take the time to ascertain you are neither.

I suspect Mr. Airborne Bacon on this board can confirm that most cops rarely, if ever wear their uniforms to and from work or at any other time they are not performing their official duties. Most I know ensure there is nothing identifiable on themselves or their vehicles which indicates their profession. I doubt it's due to a lack of pride in their profession, simply history has shown it's a bad idea.

This seems like a reasonable precaution for members of CAP. The rub of course is we have a fair number of folks who enjoy being in a military-style uniform in public, which obviously runs contrary to the advice NASAR is promoting.

EDIT: Oops, I guess I took too long typing, RiverAux beat me to it

Airborne Bacon   :clap:  In my case I have a take home car now... but...  When I didn't have a take home and drove my personal car I changed completely.    I do know most officers drive home with a cover shirt and usually don't make a lot of stops along the way.   I do find it amusing when I see a cop in the store with a button up flannel shirt and wearing green polyester pants with a gold stripe down the side that have a striking resemblance to the local sheriff :)

Is CAP a target?  No.  Could it be?  Of course.  Id say tailor your approach to your surroundings.  Anything can happen anywhere, but a CAP unit in El Centro, CA vs a CAP unit in rural Kansas?  I dunno.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 02, 2015, 02:08:58 PM
Believe me.... its getting worse.  As someone who wears an LE uniform everyday, i cant go to Subway without the guy behind the counter drilling me about the militarization of law enforcement and Jade Helm conspiracies.   "Well, thats because you are a cop and everyone sees that."  Well, my civilian pilot who wears only a flight suit and a set of small wings on a name patch... no shoulder patches, no badge, no duty belt, gets into these conversations all the time   Ive been a cop almost 20 years and the number of Facebook fueled urban legends are making people lose their minds.

All this announcement is saying is "times are changing......  be smart and use common sense"

Just throwing this out there, you won't change community opinions by covering up uniforms.

Jaison009

100% agree.

Overreaction.

Flying Pig

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on October 03, 2015, 02:08:18 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on October 02, 2015, 02:08:58 PM

Just throwing this out there, you won't change community opinions by covering up uniforms.

Wearing a cover shirt home from work so I dont get shot at a stop light in my personal car has pretty much zero to do with community relations.   We arent talking about working with our uniforms covered up.