Main Menu

Automatic Transfer?

Started by Abby.L, October 07, 2014, 07:06:06 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: Levi Lockling on November 26, 2014, 04:23:24 AM
I will be going in as an Airborne Cryptological Linguist.

OK, being a tactical pasta chef is pretty cool, but no need to make up a fancy name.

"That Others May Zoom"

Abby.L

Quote from: Eclipse on November 26, 2014, 04:27:48 AM

OK, being a tactical pasta chef is pretty cool, but no need to make up a fancy name.
Haha, it ain't no Security Force, but it is an actual job.  ::)
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforceenlistedjobs/a/afjob1a8x1.htm
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

PHall

Quote from: Levi Lockling on November 26, 2014, 04:32:54 AM

Be prepared to work your butt off at DLI.  And when you go through SERE, say Hi to Igor for me! You'll understand when you get there.

Private Investigator

Quote from: PHall on November 26, 2014, 06:28:22 AM
Quote from: Levi Lockling on November 26, 2014, 04:32:54 AM

Be prepared to work your butt off at DLI.  And when you go through SERE, say Hi to Igor for me! You'll understand when you get there.

DLI is really nice. You will like it   8)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on October 30, 2014, 01:10:47 AM
No one says they said that in training. Some have said that saying "I learned that in CAP" is not well received by the MTIs!

It's not.  One Airman (this was back before they were called "Trainee") in my flight mentioned something about CAP when the MTI had asked if anyone had JROTC experience and the reply was...well, it would overload the potty-language filter.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ColonelJack

Quote from: CyBorg on November 26, 2014, 11:03:39 PM
Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on October 30, 2014, 01:10:47 AM
No one says they said that in training. Some have said that saying "I learned that in CAP" is not well received by the MTIs!

It's not.  One Airman (this was back before they were called "Trainee") in my flight mentioned something about CAP when the MTI had asked if anyone had JROTC experience and the reply was...well, it would overload the potty-language filter.

Yet the MTIs seem to love those with JROTC training.  Wonder why there's such a disparity?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

PHall

That's why you never volunteer the infomation that you were a CAP cadet to your MTI.
Believe me, they'll figure out by the third day that you have "advanced knowledge" and they'll ask you.

Garibaldi

When I went to Basic, the drill instructors asked who had CAP or JROTC experience. We were made squad leaders and were picked for additional duties like 2 change of command ceremonies.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

lordmonar

Quote from: PHall on November 27, 2014, 04:27:28 PM
That's why you never volunteer the infomation that you were a CAP cadet to your MTI.
Believe me, they'll figure out by the third day that you have "advanced knowledge" and they'll ask you.
in 1986 they had all off us report into the TI in the office, on at a time.  That is where he asked me about my experience (ROTC/JROTC).  Like you said...they know pretty early who has any prior experience.....also back then if you had enough prior experience you could Proficiency Advance (PA) out of basic.   Being a Mitchell Cadet was one of the gateways to PAing.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on November 27, 2014, 06:19:00 PM
Quote from: PHall on November 27, 2014, 04:27:28 PM
in 1986 they had all off us report into the TI in the office, on at a time.  That is where he asked me about my experience (ROTC/JROTC).  Like you said...they know pretty early who has any prior experience.....also back then if you had enough prior experience you could Proficiency Advance (PA) out of basic.   Being a Mitchell Cadet was one of the gateways to PAing.

And I took full advantage of the PA program. Took the 17 Day written, passed. Took the 28 day written, passed and started the by-pass procedure.
Of course I spent 36 days in casual because the system "lost me". ::)

GroundHawg

Quote from: AirAux on October 30, 2014, 01:45:36 PM
Cadet Lockling,  Congratulations.  With your background in CAP, you will do fine, probably better than fine.  The Air Force Academy is having a hard time filling seats and pilot seats right now.  They are looking for motivated youngsters for those seats.  If you stay on top of things, you may very well have an opportunity to apply for Academy or the Prep School at Colorado Springs.  Be aware of that and looking for it.  And the icing on the cake is that they have a very good CAP Cadet Squadron at the Academy.  Best of luck, shoot for the stars.

One of my former cadets had a very similar scenario. He applied to all five service academies, but his one true love was West Point. He did not receive anything back positive, and enlisted. Halfway through AIT, he was pulled to go to the USMA Prep School. He is now halfway through his Jr. year.

MSG Mac

Quote from: GroundHawg on November 28, 2014, 09:31:22 AM
Cadet Lockling,  Congratulations.  With your background in CAP, you will do fine, probably better than fine.  The Air Force Academy is having a hard time filling seats and pilot seats right now.  They are looking for motivated youngsters for those seats.  If you stay on top of things, you may very well have an opportunity to apply for Academy or the Prep School at Colorado Springs.  Be aware of that and looking for it.  And the icing on the cake is that they have a very good CAP Cadet Squadron at the Academy.  Best of luck, shoot for the stars.

One of my former cadets had a very similar scenario. He applied to all five service academies, but his one true love was West Point. He did not receive anything back positive, and enlisted. Halfway through AIT, he was pulled to go to the USMA Prep School. He is now halfway through his Jr. year.
Many years ago, our squadron had a cadet accepted to West Point Prep. He failed the math course and was released. Upon his return he entered the National Guard, went to the State OCS, and was commissioned when his former classmates were entering their third class year. Retired as a Colonel.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 28, 2014, 03:05:06 PM
Many years ago, our squadron had a cadet accepted to West Point Prep. He failed the math course and was released. Upon his return he entered the National Guard, went to the State OCS, and was commissioned when his former classmates were entering their third class year. Retired as a Colonel.

The ArNG/ANG is kind of a "best-kept secret" in following a route to a commission (or warrant in the Army).
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: GroundHawg on November 28, 2014, 09:31:22 AM

I went NG after active duty USMC. Being a policeman I wanted Special Forces for my resume for SWAT. The NG offered me State OCS and I thought that would be great;  Infantry, Special Forces and a commission. The State had other plans, Logistics. Supply Officer in the rear with the gear? I do not think so. In 20/20 hindsight I should stick to decaffeinated coffee. YMMV   8) 

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: CyBorg on November 28, 2014, 10:08:42 PM

The ArNG/ANG is kind of a "best-kept secret" in following a route to a commission (or warrant in the Army).

I dunno about other states but KSARNG is BEGGING for prospective warrant candidates right now.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven: