Main Menu

C/FO

Started by abdsp51, June 23, 2012, 11:07:59 PM

abdsp51

Anyone know when the grade system for cadets changed?  I am wondering about the addition of C/SMSgt and C/CMSgt and the deletion of C/FO and the gold pip?

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 23, 2012, 11:07:59 PM
Anyone know when the grade system for cadets changed?  I am wondering about the addition of C/SMSgt and C/CMSgt and the deletion of C/FO and the gold pip?
Well I can tell you when it didn't exist:  1965 to 1970, as a C/1Lt (and C/2Lt with Mitchell first) and a Senior member Warrant Officer (WO).
RM   

coudano

I think that happened at the same time the added the Feik and made the WBA a milestone, right?
So that should have been April 1 2003 right?

No it was not an april fools joke :)

caphornbuckle

I think it changed in roughly 2002 or 2003.

It also changed the promotions for cadets during that period.  When they installed the Feik Award and made the Wright Brothers an Achievement Award.  If I remember, those who were between Sergeant and Master Sergeant in the old system earned a free promotion to the next grade in the new system.  C/FO left at this time as well and all Mitchells earned C/2nd Lt.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

jimmydeanno

It happened late '99 early '00.  I earned my Mitchell in Jan '99, got promoted to C/FO, started working through the achievements, and by the time I actually earned the promotion to C/2d Lt, my peers who did no work towards C/2d Lt got promoted at the same time.  The Feik Award was added later, but the C/Sgt was removed at the same time as C/FO.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Capt_Redfox30

When I joined in 1999 I was told to cross out the C/FO grade in the leadership book as it had just been removed and my squadron had the first C/CMSGT in the Wing, the Wing Commander came and visited personally to award it to him.  That was 1999 because I joined in August and I just got my uniform, so it was around Oct/Nov time frame. 
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

MinnViking08

The switch was 01 August 1999.

My Mitchell was issued on 29 July 1999 and my Unit Commander gave me the option of staying a C/FO or waiting until August 1 to send in the paperwork to go directly to C/2d Lt

Abby.L

Quote from: MinnViking08 on June 24, 2012, 02:59:46 AM

My Mitchell was issued on 29 July 1999 and my Unit Commander gave me the option of staying a C/FO or waiting until August 1 to send in the paperwork to go directly to C/2d Lt

Which one did you choose, sir?
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

ol'fido

I was never a c/FO. I was a c/WO. Don' remember when the switch was made. Just know I had a lot of fun as a gold pip.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

MinnViking08

Quote from: Levilockling on June 24, 2012, 08:19:20 AM
Quote from: MinnViking08 on June 24, 2012, 02:59:46 AM

Which one did you choose, sir?

I opted for C/FO so I like to say that I was probably the last C/FO of CAP

Quote from: ol'fido on June 24, 2012, 12:55:35 PM
I was never a c/FO. I was a c/WO. Don' remember when the switch was made. Just know I had a lot of fun as a gold pip.

Me too but I wanted to go from c/wo to c/2lt fast because of the cool shoulder boards!  I was a c/wo in 1977 or 78...

ßτε

Quote from: 754837 on June 24, 2012, 09:04:21 PM
Quote from: ol'fido on June 24, 2012, 12:55:35 PM

Me too but I wanted to go from c/wo to c/2lt fast because of the cool shoulder boards!  I was a c/wo in 1977 or 78...
I remember that. C/WO wore grade insignia on the collar of the light-blue shirt while C/2Lt and higher used shoulder boards.

caphornbuckle

I keep getting blocked from looking at this but I found this about the changes of the NCO grades.

I'm at work and they don't allow this type of website so it is not because of any issues that I know of.

Anyone willing to give it a try and let me know if it's what everyone is looking for?

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/44878101/Cadet-Programs-CADET-PROGRAM-MANAGEMENT

Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

abdsp51

Thanks guys.  I want to impart a little bit of history on the cadets of my unit.  PLenty of folks look at me funny when they see the bars especially after I tell them my membership # starts with  a 1. 

We had one of our cadets visiting from West Point and the look on his face when our C/CC mentioned that was priceless.  I have taken in and shown one of the last remaining gold pips of  mine and I plan on taking in my rack one night. 

I wasn't sure when the change happened as I let my former membership expire in 98.

GroundHawg

I just found a set of my miniature gold pips cleaning out the garage the other day. Made me smile :)

I too am a LT with a '1' to start my CAP ID.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: GroundHawg on June 26, 2012, 03:06:42 PM
I too am a LT with a '1' to start my CAP ID.

It's not that uncommon.

SarDragon

OK, here's the deal on CAPIDs.

If you were a member before the change from SSNs to CAPIDs, at the transition you got a six digit CAPID starting with 1, based on your position in a list of members in SSAN order. These went up to about 145xxx. Then there's a gap. The new members who joined after the transition have CAPIDs starting with 15XXXX.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Proud member of the 359XXX!

Just checked and some of the newest members in our unit are 516XXX.

a2capt

With me sitting at 331XXX, when I saw the 145's, I thought.. "wow, that's half.. " now, the newest to be added to our unit yesterday just cracked 5170XX. Pretty soon it will be double what I was.

SarDragon

Don't forget that the first 99999 numbers weren't used. In fact, the first number used appears to be 100100.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret