2013 Combat Control Orientation Course

Started by Spartan, February 07, 2013, 04:12:37 AM

RogueLeader

Lt Col, then Maj Siemiet was the brain child for CCOC, and I had a great hand in help getting it stood up that first year.

As I recall, we didn't want it a NCSA until quite a few years after it was running so that we have a solid reputation and track record of how it is to be run.  Who knows better than somebody that does it for a living?

As it is, I really wanna go back to Bragg. 
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: NIN on February 11, 2013, 11:34:14 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on February 11, 2013, 06:36:33 AM
Quote from: NY Wing King on February 11, 2013, 03:02:45 AM
Quote from: NIN on February 11, 2013, 12:14:47 AM
Quote from: Spartan on February 10, 2013, 06:24:40 AM
Wish I could have gone to Drummond Island as a cadet.  From what I have heard, it was an experience not to be missed.

I did go to Drummond Island as a cadet. The very last year it was an "official" activity.

It was so much win that even 30 years later I can't believe it.
What was Drummond Island?

Go here, and then search for Drummond. The articles are best read in chronological order. They show up in a couple of different lists.

Actually, start here:

http://www.cadetstuff.org/2012/09/
How much of this stuff is true?
EDIT: The more I read, the more I want to go.

NIN

Quote from: NY Wing King on February 11, 2013, 11:49:49 PM

As I said in the WIWAC thread: All of it, minus the parts that have been embellished over time in the telling.

You're 31 years late. The last "official" year of the Group XII Search and Rescue School (AKA "Drummond Island") was 1982.

The clearing here was literally the compound: http://goo.gl/maps/5aItX

You can see where Meade Island was (SE, on the water) and of course Marblehead "due east".

(I bet if you use Google Earth you can go back and watch the compound get progressively more overgrown)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

That Anonymous Guy

I know :(... Why did it get cancelled? Are there any unit activities That are popular across the country, similar to CCOC?

Stonewall

Quote from: NY Wing King on February 12, 2013, 12:36:53 AM
I know :(... Why did it get cancelled? Are there any unit activities That are popular across the country, similar to CCOC?

If there are any, they'd be smart to keep it on the DL.  CCOC is a strong, viable activity with support and potential to become a NCSA, if that's the desire. 

Some units have "annual exercises" that are generally bigger/better than your typical SAR/DR exercise.

Personally, I've been involved in "WINTEX", an annual 3 day winter exercise that we did during Christmas break from school.  Sort of a winter survival exercise with a complete cadet chain of command and night time operations, to include a "no notice", middle of the night, ground team link up misison.

Then there was TACCOMEX, an long time annual exercise focused on air/ground coordination and tactical communications.  I was responsible and executing TACCOMEX XXV.

There was also the annual Mountain mission, called MOUNTEX, in the Shenandoah Mountains.

All of these were VERY "high end" and required more than your minimum standards of training and experience, although anyone with a GES could participate.  Newbies would basically operate alongside of the more mature, experienced ground team folks, most of which were cadets leading cadets, with minimal senior supervision.

I know there's a unit outside of Atlanta that does an annual winter exercise called "Frostbite". 

As a cadet, we organized the cadet side of our ground team to mirror that of a Special Forces A-Team.  To be a part of the team you had to complete our RECONDO course, an over-the-top, cadet created, cadet run, program that challenged cadet ground team members as they learned basic SAR craft.

Ah, the things we did...
Serving since 1987.

That Anonymous Guy

I've heard of Frostbite. New York Wing has SARTAC, basically our own NESA but besides bivouacs I havent heard of any multiday unit run events

SarDragon

Quote from: NIN on February 12, 2013, 12:29:33 AM
Quote from: NY Wing King on February 11, 2013, 11:49:49 PM

As I said in the WIWAC thread: All of it, minus the parts that have been embellished over time in the telling.

You're 31 years late. The last "official" year of the Group XII Search and Rescue School (AKA "Drummond Island") was 1982.

The clearing here was literally the compound: http://goo.gl/maps/5aItX

You can see where Meade Island was (SE, on the water) and of course Marblehead "due east".

(I bet if you use Google Earth you can go back and watch the compound get progressively more overgrown)

Actually, it doesn't look too much worse for the wear. There's very little difference between the 8/2005 shot, and the one you linked. It has grown in a bit since the 4/1999 shot.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spartan

We seem to be getting a little off track.  The high intensity activities are deserving of attention, but in their own thread.

NIN

Quote from: Spartan on February 13, 2013, 06:13:30 AM
We seem to be getting a little off track.  The high intensity activities are deserving of attention, but in their own thread.

Announcer: "We return this thread to the discussion of the 2013 Combat Control Orientation Course."

Sorry 'bout the threadjack, OP.

Youse guys, post any more OT stuff in the WIWAC thread or elsewhere.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Spartan

There are only two months remaining to submit an application for the 2013 Combat Control Orientation Course.  Please review your application for completeness and ensure your physical assessment reflects your best effort and has a pass in ALL events. 

There is plenty of time remaining, however you should not leave it to chance that your wing commander or their representative will have nothing else to do.  Wing level endorsement is the longest part of the application process.  Be sure to give it at least two weeks for the wing endorsement on P.4 of your CAPF-31's.  If you wait until the last minute, you run the risk of not being able to attend CCOC.

Late applications will not be accepted.

Spartan

The 2013 Combat Control Orientation Course has been cancelled due to sequestration.  Many of our supporting DoD units were heavily impacted by sequestration's budget cuts and could not provide us with the level of support that made CCOC such a success.  Without their support, it is not possible to have CCOC.  Keep training and progressing as CAP members and leaders, keep pushing yourselves to be better than you were before, and look for CCOC 2014.

Майор Хаткевич

a2capt

It would seem premature to say "in 2014" when after all, if "sequestration" cut available resources, and they don't do anything about it, what are they going to do to add to it again?