Main Menu

What gear should i get?

Started by Almoster, June 17, 2010, 01:00:38 AM

Almoster

I know you get BDU's when you join CAP but what else should you buy?

Eclipse

You will not necessarily get BDU's, that depends on your squadron, some have a stock and issue them, some don't.  Even if you get the BDU's, you will still most likely need to purchase the nametapes and flag, and probably a hat, belt and boots.

The Free Cadet Uniform includes dress "blues" pants and shirt, you will need to purchase a hat, belt, nametag, and all badges and insignia.

If purchased all at once from good sources, the start up "kit" for a cadet costs about $50 plus shoes.

This is a conversation you need to have with your commander or his designee.

"That Others May Zoom"

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

HGjunkie

Anyways, order your free blues off of e-services, get your insignia from Vanguardmil.com, and ask your squadron for anything else.
PM me if you have additional questions. ;)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

MIKE

Quote from: Eclipse on June 17, 2010, 01:18:38 AMThe Free Cadet Uniform includes dress "blues" pants and shirt, you will need to purchase a hat, belt, nametag, and all badges and insignia.

I know they stopped sending shoes a while back, but no belt and flight cap now too?
Mike Johnston

cap235629

my son got a flight cap and belt a year ago.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

HGjunkie

I got my free unifrom several months ago and got the Flight cap, belt, Pants, And shirt. :o
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

My bad - yep, belt, & hat, but no shoes.

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Quote from: Almoster on June 17, 2010, 01:00:38 AM

A pen.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

tsrup

At our squadron we give all new cadets a folder that includes a list of all the needed purchases with their appropriate stock numbers and where to find them.

Ask your DCC, they might have something similar.

If not, I'll see if I can grab one while I'm at the squadron tomorrow and post it here for all to use.
Paramedic
hang-around.

BTCS1*

The two most useful things in CAP:
1. A pen
2. A pocket-sized notebook
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

Fly Boy

Quote from: cap235629 on June 17, 2010, 03:54:34 AM

A pen.

You normaly get one with the Cadet Packet  >:D but they are so cheap, mine broke after the first CAP meeting with it.

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169

JC004

Cadets ask this a lot here and elsewhere.  Please don't buy a ton of stuff unnecessarily.  CAP is expensive enough.  Decide what you want to do and get the stuff that is required for it.  For instance, if you want to become qualified a UDFT member and/or Ground Team Member, there are certain things that are required of you.  Before you dump a ton of money on stuff, get advice on what the best gear is for those categories.

A great way to do that is talk to other members, search existing topics here, ask questions here if there isn't already a topic on what you want to buy, and do some research on sites like REI's gear information for tips on buying stuff like backpacks and such.

Then, try saving yourself (and probably your parents) money by getting things from the least expensive sources.  Try used stuff here on CAPTalk, ebay, AAFES, etc. before you dump a ton of money into Vanguard.  Also use Google Shopping for non-uniform stuff like backpacks.  You can save a LOT of money this way.  Then get yourself some coupons on retailmenot.com.

pbcheez

Get some blue coveralls. very very handy.

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

Quote from: pbcheez on June 23, 2010, 04:26:40 AM
Get some blue coveralls. very very handy.

I third the motion for an answer to the question:

Huh? For what?  :o ???

titanII

as for shoes for your blues (heheh... rhyming... but anyways...) don't go to the trouble of getting black oxford-style dress shoes if you don't already have them. Just get a good pair of black all-leather combat boots. THEY ARE KOSHER FOR BOTH BDU's AND BLUES!!! I suggest a pair like these: http://www.uspatriottactical.com/corcoran-field-boots-10-leather-side-zipper.html?___store=default
You can spit shine them to a mirror for when you wear your blues, and the traction is good enough for most not-hardcore cadet activities like meetings and drill. Hope this Helps!
No longer active on CAP talk

SarDragon

Quote from: Donovan on January 25, 2011, 12:15:09 AM
as for shoes for your blues (heheh... rhyming... but anyways...) don't go to the trouble of getting black oxford-style dress shoes if you don't already have them. Just get a good pair of black all-leather combat boots. THEY ARE KOSHER FOR BOTH BDU's AND BLUES!!! I suggest a pair like these: http://www.uspatriottactical.com/corcoran-field-boots-10-leather-side-zipper.html?___store=default
You can spit shine them to a mirror for when you wear your blues, and the traction is good enough for most not-hardcore cadet activities like meetings and drill. Hope this Helps!

That might not be such a good idea. Activities where you wear BDUs tend to be much harder on the appearance aspect of footwear. Your ability to keep that great shine on your boots will be much harder the more they're worn in the field. A good pair of Oxfords will also give your feet a break from your boots.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: Fly Boy on June 18, 2010, 08:07:13 PM
Quote from: cap235629 on June 17, 2010, 03:54:34 AM

A pen.

You normaly get one with the Cadet Packet  >:D but they are so cheap, mine broke after the first CAP meeting with it.

I steped on mine before i even used it. Cheap stuff from china i bet!