Government Shutdown impact to CAP?

Started by Papabird, September 25, 2013, 05:25:21 PM

Panache

Quote from: Eclipse on October 07, 2013, 01:20:45 AM
Quote from: DMinick on October 07, 2013, 01:11:35 AM
I have a question about memberships with this!! I know that SR members aren't happening because of the fed background checks. I'm told FBI aren't doing them during this time because they are not life and death. Are cadet app's being processed and approved or no? And what about renewals? Are all of them going through ok, or are they on hold as well? Thanks!!!

There's been no specific comment on this, but considering all WAs and HQ staff are on furlough, it's doubtful.

Squadron CC just informed me that a new member's FBI check came back okay yesterday, so either they're still working or the results were just backlogged somewhere.

NCRblues

So, I have a question and maybe someone more apt in this area can inform me on it.

Since almost all DOD civilians are back on the job today (to include commissary workers, unit secretaries ext ext) why is NHQ not back up and staffed?

Not trying to say anything bad about the workers at NHQ, just honestly curious as to how our WA's and NHQ paid staff are not back then.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

FlyTiger77

Quote from: NCRblues on October 09, 2013, 05:28:59 AM
just honestly curious as to how our WA's and NHQ paid staff are not back then.

If I understand the situation, the NHQ folks and wing administrators are employees of Civil Air Patrol, Inc., which happens to be funded by the federal government. They are not government employees per se and are thus not paid from the same pot of money.

Also, the recall of DoD employees was limited to those who have some connection with supporting service members. An argument could be made that CAP wouldn't qualify under those conditions even if the employees were actual federal employees.

Having said all that, I could be wrong!
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

RiverAux

Not sure why they had to furlough CAP folks immediately.  Most federal grants I work with are reimbursement deals -- do the work and the feds pay you for it later.  So, not sure why they couldn't keep on working UNLESS there wasn't enough cash in the bank to pay them with what was on hand.  Hopefully, we aren't living that hand to mouth. 

In my state some state folks that work off grants are furloughed and some aren't.  Haven't figured out the difference yet.

AirDX

Heard from the Wing/CC today (he's at Maxwell at the Wing CC course) that a deal had been reached and the WAs would be back to work next Tuesday.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

FW

Quote from: RiverAux on October 09, 2013, 07:47:55 PM
Not sure why they had to furlough CAP folks immediately.  Most federal grants I work with are reimbursement deals -- do the work and the feds pay you for it later.  So, not sure why they couldn't keep on working UNLESS there wasn't enough cash in the bank to pay them with what was on hand.  Hopefully, we aren't living that hand to mouth. 

In my state some state folks that work off grants are furloughed and some aren't.  Haven't figured out the difference yet.

CAP has money in the bank to pay employees, however the Air Force would not reimburse CAP after the fact.  It would have been a substancial loss.

Eclipse

NHQ just authorized training for ground and incident staff-only missions (no aircraft) as C99.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Word on the street is OPS NORMAL effective today.  I've already got some emails about missions being approved.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

QuoteFrom: "Desmarais, John W." <JDESMARAIS@capnhq.gov>
Date: October 18, 2013 at 11:05:42 AM PDT
Subject: HOT - Resuming Normal Operations

Commanders, we appreciate your patience and support over the last few weeks.  With great pleasure, I'm sending you this message to let you know that we have received approval to begin normal mission operations.  All corporate missions have now been opened up in WMIRS.  Colonel Gloyd has also contacted his Liaison Region personnel so that they can approve not only your routine monthly missions, but any funded mission requests that are in their queue awaiting approval in WMIRS as well.  Hopefully this will allow you to begin your flying this weekend.  Don't assume that all missions are approved immediately though; make sure that you and/or your key subordinates have missions approved in WMIRS prior to executing.  CAP-USAF, 1st AF, 11th AF, and PACAF will only approve other funded missions when approving makes sense; they will still scrutinize all A and B missions to make sure they're legitimate and satisfy mission needs prior to approving.

Some of you had tentative missions that were submitted to 1st Air Force for Air Tasking Order (ATO) approval should we get this authority, and the NOC is contacting your ICs to get those moving if still possible now.  Those missions that would normally require ATO approval that were not in WMIRS to submit will need to wait until the next cycle for approval.  As a reminder, missions and sorties for the next ATO cycle will need to be in the system for the NOC to process them by 0700 CDT Monday morning, the 21st of October, so that they can be processed and approved in time to start executing them Wednesday the 23rd of October.

I have copied your vice commanders and key operations staff so that they are aware as well.  Have a great weekend!

v/r

John D.
JOHN W. DESMARAIS, Sr.
Director of OperationsCivil Air Patrol National Headquarters

JeffDG

I wish NHQ would stop using "HOT" as the prefix for their e-mails.

Think of the Cyber Patriot e-mail:

HOT - Cyber...

Well...that start to a subject line could be read in a somewhat different way...

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: JeffDG on October 18, 2013, 07:37:26 PM
Think of the Cyber Patriot e-mail:

HOT - Cyber...

Well...that start to a subject line could be read in a somewhat different way...

And likely end up in some spam filters...

Flying Pig

When I was active in CAP I had my work email listed.   "HOT" could get me a call from IT :)

NIN

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 21, 2013, 11:59:32 AM
When I was active in CAP I had my work email listed.   "HOT" could get me a call from IT :)

"Its HOT! [darn] HOT!"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.