Main Menu

FLWG Encampment News release

Started by BillB, July 07, 2008, 11:45:28 AM

JoeTomasone

Let's keep in mind that we don't know for sure that a cadet was driving the ATV at all, let alone what qualifications, permissions, and other circumstances existed at the time (such as WHY the accident occurred).

isuhawkeye

I think it is safe to say that ATV'S and other modes of transportation can be very valuable If the following take place

1. the vehicle is properly maintained
2.  the vehicle driver has documentation of formal training and skills compitencies
3.  the driver is properly equipped with appropriate safety equipment including a full face helmet
4. the equipment is deployed to terrain appropriate to the capability of equipment and the driver.

mikeylikey

Quote from: isuhawkeye on July 08, 2008, 07:33:18 PM
I think it is safe to say that ATV'S and other modes of transportation can be very valuable If the following take place

1. the vehicle is properly maintained
2.  the vehicle driver has documentation of formal training and skills compitencies
3.  the driver is properly equipped with appropriate safety equipment including a full face helmet
4. the equipment is deployed to terrain appropriate to the capability of equipment and the driver.

Big difference between a golf cart transporting water around at a CAP activity and an ATV.  Why would any CAP activity need an ATV?  What purpose does it serve......other than the "cool factor"??
What's up monkeys?

isuhawkeye

availability for one.  the davenport air show signed a promo agreement with a local atv dealer to provide units for show coordination. 

I have seen several very well coordinated real world sar applications.

www.rramsar.org is a good example

I'm sorry for the thread drift.  I don't want this to take away from this tragedy

mikeylikey

Quote from: isuhawkeye on July 08, 2008, 08:07:37 PM
I don't want this to take away from this tragedy

You are correct.  Even if she was the driver or occupant, it is still a tragic event.  One that will add more language to our safety regs, no doubt. 
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

From a friend in FLWG:  a safety briefing about the ATV was given, with emphasis on, CADETS will NOT drive the ATV.

I also understand that the cadet's condition has been upgraded and may be released in the next day or two.  She has gotten up on her own with some minor problems that should heal with time.
Serving since 1987.

lordmonar

Also a note to clarify.

The cadet in question was not driving the ATV....but the driver was a cadet...who was also injured but not as seriously.

This is from Col Sharkey via Cadetstuff.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

mikeylikey

^ That is very unfortunate.  I would imagine a 2b is (has already) been prepared for the Senior Member(s) present that allowed all this to take place.
What's up monkeys?

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 09, 2008, 12:03:15 AM
^ That is very unfortunate.  I would imagine a 2b is (has already) been prepared for the Senior Member(s) present that allowed all this to take place.

Why a 2b?  I understand the magnatude of the offense, but if this the first time this Officer is in trouble, maybe a suspension is in order?  Remedial Counseling perhaps?

If a 2b is warranted though, the you are looking at several members, not just one.

You would have to 2b the encampment commander as well.  He/She is in overall charge.  Buck stops there.

Tac Officer is in charge of the safety of the flight, 2b them as well.

Slippery slope I know, and I have been drastic as well.....

JoeTomasone

From FLCADET.COM:

UPDATE ON CADET BATISTA

Cadet Major Andrea Batista, the Florida cadet that was injured on the last night of encampment, has shown much improvement.

"Although Andrea is out of ICU, her condition is still guarded. She's making great progress and will continue treatment in Miami." Major Margarita Mesones, the Florida Wing Director of Cadet Programs stated.

The web address set up by Cadet Programs, getwell@flcadet.com, has received many responses thus far.

"I encourage all Florida Wing to take a few minutes and send Andrea their thoughts and prayers of support and encouragement," said Colonel Christian Moersch, Florida Wing Commander. "I am sure we will see Andrea back at a Florida Wing activity very soon, but right now, we need her to heal and recuperate."

The Batista family continues to appreciate the many prayers and best wishes for their daughter's speedy recovery and thank everyone for respecting their privacy.