Main Menu

PDO for OJT mentor?

Started by hfriday, August 03, 2018, 08:41:32 PM

hfriday

As a newbie professional development officer for my (previously PDO-less and fairly new) squadron, I'm fielding a lot of "what do I have to do to get my technician rating?"-type questions. Since we only have one of our eight members holding a technician rating, and most of these guys have been holding the corresponding duty position for a year or two, the immediate problem is a lack of OJT mentors.

Some of the professional track study guides say that in the absence of a senior- or master-rated mentor, the wing officer in a particular track should mentor, which has largely been a logistical and communications dead-end.

Other study guides say that self-study and evaluation are okay.

Still others say the commander and professional development officer can sign off on all tasks.

In all cases, commander is the final approving authority.

I see that in eServices, I can recommend anyone for commander's approval for their next rating. This strongly implies that, despite CAPP guidance to the contrary,  I can sign off someone in any professional track as a technician once I have seen them perform the tasks in the checklist....right?

Sidebar obligatory "common-sense" complaint: why the heck are these not just done the same (reasonably logical) way as Ops Quals in eServices? Why am I using a paper checklist for the one that is done in a classroom or office, and a computer entry for the one done in the woods or an airplane?

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any light anyone can shed on this seeming contradiction. Of course, if I can sign members off in any track, that will greatly accelerate things over having to try and get someone from higher command to wander down to our squadron and see if such-and-such officer has compiled a library of resources for such-and-such purpose.

Eclipse

Mentors or OJT trainers are not required (except for the command track).

The CC acts as the approval authority and completion of the track is at his subjective discretion.

Quote from: hfriday on August 03, 2018, 08:41:32 PM
Sidebar obligatory "common-sense" complaint: why the heck are these not just done the same (reasonably logical) way as Ops Quals in eServices? Why am I using a paper checklist for the one that is done in a classroom or office, and a computer entry for the one done in the woods or an airplane?

Your point is salient, but there's no reason to generate any paper - extract the PDF checklist and complete
it electronically, then save it to your units electronic, paperless records (hint, hint).

As to why this is still the case?  Reasons. Beyond that, best for sanity not to ask.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on August 03, 2018, 09:17:37 PM

Your point is salient, but there's no reason to generate any paper - extract the PDF checklist and complete
it electronically, then save it to your units electronic, paperless records (hint, hint).
CAP issued laptops come with Adobe Acrobat, which is what you need to extract and convert the checklist in the pamphlet into a fillable PDF form.

Eclipse

Yep, that or Dochub, which is free and integrates with GSuite.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: arajca on August 03, 2018, 10:46:48 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 03, 2018, 09:17:37 PM

CAP issued laptops come with Adobe Acrobat, which is what you need to extract and convert the checklist in the pamphlet into a fillable PDF form.

Not always. But $50 with Techsoup and you are golden.

hfriday

Thanks for the clarification and advice, folks. This will definitely spur our squadron in the right direction after a couple years of PD stagnation.

MacGruff

You, as the PDO can act as the signoff that the checklists have been completed. What you see in eServices is the way for you to signify that you went over the checklist and that you agree that the candidate has met the requirements for movement to Technician, Senior, or what have you. In all cases, once you click the button, the next approval is the Squadron Commander. For some specialty tracks, higher levels have to be approved at Wing level.