Main Menu

DAART

Started by arajca, February 27, 2018, 05:26:40 PM

arajca

Does anyone have ground based experience with the DAART kits which replaced the GEIIPS kits? Good, Bad, Indifferent?

Live2Learn

Quote from: arajca on February 27, 2018, 05:26:40 PM
Does anyone have ground based experience with the DAART kits which replaced the GEIIPS kits? Good, Bad, Indifferent?

Dunno.  What do the acronyms say in clear text?

suboptimal

Yes, we have DAART, and a handful of us have completed DAART training, both for the airborne operator and the ground user roles.  We're still waiting for the DAART SQTRs to appear in eServices so we can document our new quals. 

I have no experience with its GEIIP predecessor, so I can't offer a direct comparison.

DAART is great so long as the airborne modem can maintain a cellular data connection.  Cell towers aren't designed to look upward much, so proximity to a cell tower is key to transmitting live images to the DAART website.  If your sortie takes you into rural areas or far from major highways, cell coverage becomes spotty and you may be out of luck and just recording video for later viewing on the ground (so why did you bring all that fancy equipment?).  There are other means of air-to-ground transmission for DAART used by the Army, but I believe those options are not (yet) available to CAP.

Using the handheld video camera can produce rather shaky images, even at only modest zoom levels.  Our wing is also evaluating an EO/IR camera "ball" (google TASE400) equipped aircraft that provides terrifically stabilized images and long-range zoom.  Paired with DAART, this combination provides amazing video for a customer on the ground.

I had the privilege of being the DAART ground user for our EvalEx last year and was able to project the near-real-time video onto a large screen for the enjoyment of our AF evaluators.  It was pretty awesome!

To answer L2L's question, DAART is "DOMOPS Awareness and Assessment Response Tool" which refers to the web-based system that receives, stores, and streams the video from the airborne imaging system.

PHall

arajca

So there's Airborne Operator training to use the equipment and Ground User to present the video to the customer. Is there Ground Operator training to use the equipment on the ground?

Sriracha

Quote from: PHall on March 03, 2018, 01:32:54 AM
And DAART means?

From a quick google search, you need a government approved account to log into the website, so it seems like explaining what it is might break OPSEC, if it's such a well-guarded program. That being said, I don't know about it either.

arajca

And DAART means? ???
DOMOPS Awareness and Assessment Response Tool

What it does and how it works is the question. It has a video camera, laptop, power converter, and some kind to dongle. Which connects to something, but nothing in the kit.

CAP9907

Seems like it is just up our alley then - not sure how to use it or if it can be used at all. CAP in a nutshell.

Quote from: arajca on March 03, 2018, 03:25:43 AM
And DAART means? ???

What it does and how it works is the question. It has a video camera, laptop, power converter, and some kind to dongle. Which connects to something, but nothing in the kit.
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

suboptimal

Arajca -- Sorry -- Yes, our training was in the context of air operations, but the "operator" role would the same for air or ground.  You would just have to aircrew or ground team qualified first.  For our aircrews, the observer is the DAART operator and works with the special laptop that captures the video and connects to the DAART server, communicates with the ground user, and keeps an eye on the cellular data modem connection.  The scanner (or airborne photographer) shoots the video.  Likewise, the ground user is also aircrew-qualified (generally scanner) and accesses the video stream via the DAART website to show to the customer, communicates with the operator during the mission (either via a texting function in DAART or by CAP radio), and selects and download videos clips for the customer, etc..

PHall -- DAART is system for transmitting video via the web to a secure server for near-real-time viewing by a customer.  The DAART acronym stands for DOMOPS Awareness and Assessment Response Tool, a name given to it by its DoD National Guard Bureau masters.  Obviously, DOMOPS is also an acronym -- Domestic Operations.

Sriracha -- DAART isn't a big secret, so there's no OPSEC concern about merely discussing it (at least a the level of my understanding).  The website is secure and DoD-controlled to insure that the potentially-sensitive imagery is safely protected.  Part of the DAART training includes Cyber Security Awareness and Intelligence Oversight training online to reinforce the need to protect access to the website and limit the video products to authorized uses.  And operators/uses have to jump through several authorization hoops to be granted access.

CAP9907 -- DAART's big advantage is the ability for a distant customer to view the imagery in near-real-time (generally 5-10 seconds delay) without waiting for the aircraft or ground team to return to base.  The ground user can then communicate the customer needs/comments to the operator to insure that the imagery meets the customer's needs ("be sure to get the north side of the target," "get a close up of the white object," that sort of thing).

suboptimal

P.S.: I think the only issue facing ground teams using DAART would be the power supply for the special cellular data modem.  In the air, it's powered by the onboard 24VDC, but I presume this is stepped down and the total load isn't especially great.  The modem isn't doing anything that a cell phone couldn't do, it;s only "special" in the sense that it operates in a frequency band approved by the FAA for use in an aircraft.  On the ground, the frequency issue wouldn't be a concern.  While the cellular signal isn't secure, I believe the data may be encrypted by the operator's laptop prior to transmission.  Again, not a problem for ground team use.

suboptimal

PPS:  Oh, wait.  The operator's laptop may be cellular-equipped itself, so there may be no need for a separate modem on the ground at all.

ColonelJack

And DAART means? ???

Judging from the lack of response, I suppose the answer is, "If you don't know, then you don't need to know."

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

ColonelJack

Quote from: arajca on March 03, 2018, 03:25:43 AM
And DAART means? ???

.... and DOMOPS means ...?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

arajca

DOMestic OPerationS

LATORRECA

So how we can get involved. Do we need a active Security clearance. Who's the project manager for this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sriracha

Quote from: LATORRECA on March 03, 2018, 11:03:40 PM
So how we can get involved. Do we need a active Security clearance. Who's the project manager for this.

There's a website for it. It's a government one, and you need justification for an account in the application process. I assume Project Manager is Director of Homeland Security.

LATORRECA

So in there website required a state manager for each state who's that guy for each wing?. Now if I have a op cert, a state manager to certify my application then what else. Who in the wing manage and collect the pool o individuals with this training or just its a close group internal to the wings or national? I do have a Sec clearance.. Just want to know upon my return to the state from been station in Germany. I will like to get involve in more than just the regular flight crew mission or the regular meetings.

FYI The Project Manager is not the director of homeland sec. Its some civilians in the army space and missile defense command.

I will figure it out. Thank for the help

Carlos A.

Spaceman3750

Training for this apparently super secret system will be offered at NESA this year (as it has been for the last several years when it was GIIEP). http://nesa.cap.gov/giiep-operator

CAP has a national program coordinator which your wing DOS has access to. Efforts are ongoing to push more training and instructors in to the field. Though this is a National Guard system, CAP is one of the more significant users.

Hope to see you at Atterbury!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LATORRECA

Spaceman,

Can't this year, been there for Observer course few years back. May be next year after rotation form, Stuttgart, DE. Thank you for the information Spaceman, hope to see your on another activity.

Carlos A.