Main Menu

Other Civil Air Patrols

Started by RiverAux, April 19, 2007, 04:15:00 AM

RiverAux

Well, I've found a "Civil Air Patrol" that we need to make sure that we are not mistaken for.  Where?  Colombia! 
The item below is from the AmeriCares website http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/RWB.NSF/db900SID/EKOI-72D36B?OpenDocument
QuoteBraving risks to deliver aid to Colombia

Colombia has endured one of the longest ongoing civil wars in recent memory: Darfur is the only other area with more internally displaced persons due to violent strife. Decades of conflict have included warfare waged against defenseless people, and resulted in the forced displacement of entire communities. The basic human needs of food, water and shelter are a daily struggle for those who have been displaced from their homes, and access to medical attention is even more difficult.

Responding to these tragic conditions, AmeriCares has been working with the Order of Malta for the last eight years, delivering medicines, medical relief and other aid to help provide the access to health care that Colombia's struggling populations so desperately need.

AmeriCares provides the Order of Malta with donated medical supplies including surgical provisions such as anesthesia and basic medicines every two months. The Order of Malta distributes the supplies to hospitals, clinics and medical facilities, as well as Bogotá's Civil Air Patrol (PAC), an intrepid group of pilots and physicians who fly and boat into remote territories to help those in need of medical attention. PAC's experienced medical teams are able to work almost anywhere, performing major surgeries in a portable E.R. tent in less-than-ideal conditions.

"The work these physicians are doing goes far beyond the call," says Hector Emmanuelli, program manager for AmeriCares. "They face unbelievable danger just to get here, work all hours under the most primitive conditions, and really depend on partners such as AmeriCares to provide them with the meds and materials they need to make a difference to people in dire need."

During a medical mission to Mosquera, PAC traveled by boat to a community isolated by mangroves. Doctors saw more than 1,100 patients in that time and performed over 200 surgeries, sometimes long into the night, essentially working 24 hours a day, taking only short breaks.

On that particular mission, medicines and medical supplies provided by AmeriCares supported a variety of surgeries, including a cataract operation that cured the blindness of a woman in her sixties; a procedure to remove a cyst from a man's hand; and foot surgery for a young boy who had been wounded by a machete.

These people and many more like them receive the health care they need to live and survive due to the strength of AmeriCares and its trusted partner, the Order of Malta, who are undaunted by the challenging situations that arise in a country suffering from a long-standing conflict.
Any other CAP's out there we can add to the list?

JC004

Well, this CAP is abbreviated "PAC," so it can't be ours.

There is always the Australian Civil Air Patrol...

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on April 19, 2007, 04:15:00 AM
Well, I've found a "Civil Air Patrol" that we need to make sure that we are not mistaken for.  Where?  Colombia! 

Their WEB PAGE...

http://patrullaerea.org/

QuoteMarch 21, 2006

An aiplane from the Patrulla Aerea (Air Patrol) crashed in Mosquera, Nariño, a small and remote town in the south west part of Colombia. Immediately after takeoff, the plane, a Cessna, was pushed by heavy crosswind, and crashed into a house, killing a boy, his mother and a doctor on board. The pilot, Rafael Arenas, aged 42, who had been working for 10 years on the Air Patrol, survived with burns on 90% of his body, but died later in the Intensive Care unit of El Valle Universitary hospital.

The Air Patrol is a Colombian ONG, created and staffed by pilots and doctors to bring medical care to people in the most abandoned regions of the country.

-from http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Small_airplane_crashes_in_Colombia
Wiki news

This is not one of their better moments... (Spanish...but watch the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWC2XJYgcJU
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Spanish readers will get a kick out of this article from... http://www.abc.es/
A Spanish Language e-news service.

Notice that they refer to the Civil Air Patrol (the organization of which we are a member) as La Patrulla Aérea Civil de EE.UU, basically the US Civil Air Patrol. I also found Tío Sam (Uncle Sam) and  el Pentágono (The Pentagon) to be interesting.

This article discusses CAP's role in Homeland Security, how USCG helicopters serve as "Kamikazes" and lots about CAP (annula budge of 30 million, taking pictures of installations and its Cessna Fleet)

Quote«Kamikazes» voluntarios
18-1-2007 02:55:14
POR P. RODRÍGUEZ CORRESPONSAL

WASHINGTON. La Patrulla Aérea Civil de EE.UU. -una institución de pilotos voluntarios cuyo origen se remonta al comienzo de la Segunda Guerra Mundial- tiene una larga historia de vuelos de vigilancia y rescate. Pero tras el 11-S, esta organización con 56.000 miembros dedicados a cooperar con autoridades locales y el Pentágono ha encontrado un nuevo tipo de actividad: actuar como señuelos para el entrenamiento militar de los cazas, helicópteros y baterías de misiles en alerta permanente sobre lugares estratégicos como la capital federal o Nueva York. De noche, mientras el resto de sus vecinos y amigos descansan, estos civiles voluntarios -algunos con experiencia militares, otros acérrimos fanáticos de la aviación- se dedican a pilotar avionetas Cessna en espacios aéreos restringidos como la zona que en el centro de Washington abarca la Casa Blanca, el Congreso y, al otro lado del río Potomac, la sede del Pentágono.

Durante estas incursiones en el papel de potenciales «kamikazes», estos pilotos son perseguidos por helicópteros de la Guardia Costera, mientras baterías de misiles tierra-aire les siguen puntualmente a la espera de que aviones F-16 rematen maniobras de interceptación.

Paul Gardella, ingeniero informático en su vida más aburrida, explicaba ayer al «Washington Post» su satisfacción por ayudar al Tío Sam con estas peculiares maniobras aéreas. Acordándose de que durante su tiempo de servicio en la «Navy» tuvo tiempo para actuar del lado de los buenos.

Solamente un pequeño grupo de voluntarios es utilizado para actuar como señuelo. El resto de los miembros de la Patrulla Aérea Civil se dedican a otras actividades como fotografiar instalaciones estratégicas, el rastreo de aviones accidentados o el transporte de ayuda humanitaria a zonas aflijidas por catástrofes naturales.

Medio millar de avionetas

La Patrulla Aérea Civil recibe al año un estipendio de treinta millones de dólares para aviones, combustibles y otros gastos. En la actualidad, esta institución auxiliar del Ejército del Aire dispone de medio millar de avionetas Cessna, considerada como la mayor flota del mundo. Pero la clave está en el carácter voluntario de sus pilotos, que se tienen que costear sus propios uniformes y pagar una cuota anual. Un precio que a ellos les parece más que justificado para satisfacer su peliculera «necesidad de velocidad».

Gardella, que no puede explicar los resultados de sus incursiones por evidentes razones de seguridad nacional, admite que estas escaramuzas logran subirle tanto la adrenalina hasta el punto de que cuando termina no puede dormir y suele marcharse directamente a la oficina. Mientras que sus compañeros de trabajo no acaban de entender la gracia de estas aventuras nocturnas.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Basic Translation of the above...

«Kamikazes» voluntarios
18-1-2007 02:55:14
POR P. RODRÍGUEZ CORRESPONSAL

WASHINGTON. THE US Civil Air Patrol, an institution of Volunteer Pilots begun during WWII, has a long history of vigilant rescue flights. 

But in the Post 9-11 world, this dedicated 56,000 member strong organization is coordinating with the Pentagon to encounter a new type of activity: as decoys for training against the sort of thing that happened in the National Capital and New York.

At Night, while we and our neighbors rest, these Civilian Volunteers, some with military experience some aviation fanatics pilot Cessna aircraft in restricted areas; like Washington,DC... The White house, the Capital, and the other side of the Potomac, the side with the Pentagon.

During these incursions as potential paper "kamikazes," there pilots were pursued by Coast Guard Helicopters,  batteries of missiles and F-16 Fighters that rushed to meet them..

Paul Gardella, explained in the Washington Post his satisfaction with the help these activities do for Uncle Sam. Former Navy, he like being on the side of the "Good Guys."

Only a small part of the Civil Air Patrol takes part in this. The rest dedicate themselves to taking photos of strange installations, rescuing people from accidental crashes or transferring supplies/people to places of Natural disaster.

Medio millar de avionetas

CAP receives 30 million dollars annually for its equipment and expenses. Actually, this auxiliary uses half a thousand aircraft, the such largest fleet in the world. The Trent actually lies on the character of the volunteer spirit of pilots, who have to buy their own uniforms and pay annual dues. A small price to pay to meet their "need for speed."

Gardella, who cannot discuss the results of the exercise for National Security reasons, admits this gets his adrenaline pumping to the point where he cannot sleep. All though his friends at work don't know much about his nocturnal activities.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

O-Rex

I'll bet you "Bable-fished" the article, and then cleaned up some of the words & syntax, right?

I do it all the time, beats doing it from scratch  ;)

¡Viva La Patrulla Aérea Civil de EE.UU.!

LTC_Gadget

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 19, 2007, 05:44:42 AM
>rescuing people from accidental crashes

OK, I guess this is explained by the Babelfishing, but, as for crashes, outside of demolition derbies, are there any other kind?   ;D
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: LTC_Gadget on April 20, 2007, 03:14:41 AM

OK, I guess this is explained by the Babelfishing, but, as for crashes, outside of demolition derbies, are there any other kind?   ;D

The 9/11 type of 'crashes'...hardly 'accidental'.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Major Carrales

Quote from: LTC_Gadget on April 20, 2007, 03:14:41 AM

Something here is lost in translation.  This section actually deals with the "normal" activties of CAP aside from the missions described in the article.

QuoteEl resto de los miembros de la Patrulla Aérea Civil se dedican a otras actividades como fotografiar instalaciones estratégicas, el rastreo de aviones accidentados o el transporte de ayuda humanitaria a zonas aflijidas por catástrofes naturales.

I guess it is best translated...

QuoteThe rest of the membership dedicate their time to photographing remotes installations, saving downed aircraft or the transportation of humanitarian aide to places affected by Natural Disasters.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

So here's our current tally so far:

Australia: Civil Air Patrol (SAR/DR organization)
Brazil: Patrulha Aérea Civil (strictly a SAR/DR organization)
Colombia: Patrulla Aérea Civil (mostly a medical relief organization)

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Al Sayre

What about all of the Cadet programs that participate in IACE?
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

capchiro

Other than the Accidental Crashes, there is always the dreaded Pilot Error Crashes, which seem to remove any possiblity of accident from the equation and places the blame on poor old dead Peter pilot that has a heck of a time defending himself from the grave.  More truth than humor, unfortunately..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Major Carrales

Brazil...

http://www.pacmirassol.com.br/

Really does use the CAP logo save altered for BRAZIL.  Don't let Vangaurd know!!! :o

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JC004

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 20, 2007, 01:15:41 PM
Brazil...

http://www.pacmirassol.com.br/

Really does use the CAP logo save altered for BRAZIL.  Don't let Vangaurd know!!! :o

Now THAT is stolen.   :o

Major Carrales

Now, I wonder what the 13 Stars symbolize in the PAC?

The website says this was founded in the 1950s?  Could someone from Brazil seen th eidea in 50s era CAP?

One website claims that there is a Civil Air Patrol like organization in 179 countries.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JC004

Well now I see and support Pineda's plan.  We put our "U.S." stuff on, make the airplanes less US military, then go invade Brazil with all we've got!  SWEET!  That'll teach them to use our seal.

Major Carrales

I actually find this a bit fascinating...the idea of CAP around the world.  I can assume that most of them are not instrumentalities of their various Air Forces.

The Brazilian site claims the origin of CAP in England during WWII (if my Portugese holds up, I actually find reading it more useful than "babelfishing it" and translating it from E-ENGLISH to ENGLISH)

Commander
SWR-TX-454

alexalvarez

Does French Polynesia have a CAP?
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

LTC_Gadget

So, I wonder when the other CAPs will get a 'cease and desist' letter for obviously co-opting parts of our corporate logo?   :D ???

Rhetorical, idle musings...

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 20, 2007, 04:29:26 PM
I actually find this a bit fascinating...the idea of CAP around the world.  I can assume that most of them are not instrumentalities of their various Air Forces.

The Brazilian site claims the origin of CAP in England during WWII (if my Portugese holds up, I actually find reading it more useful than "babelfishing it" and translating it from E-ENGLISH to ENGLISH)

If you scratch the the surface a little deeper CAP does have some of its roots in what is now disaster preparedness and civil defense with the British Air Raid Protection corps.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040