Acquiring Uniform Components

Started by abysmal, February 16, 2005, 09:30:51 PM

abysmal

Lovely.
Its been years since last I saw them and I had totally forgotten about that.
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

md132

I see alot of old USMC and USN uniforms alot here at APG.  The Marines may get offended if someone other than a Marine, Young Marine, or Marine ROTC/JROTC wears that uniform shirt.  You should check to see if it is only Army or Air Force BDU's.  There will soon be alot of Army BDU's on surplus because of the new uniforms being phased it.  Also if USAF approved the new uniform for them the same will happen.  According to a friend of mine, who is a first Sergeant for the USAF detachemnt here in APG, the Air Force is stll testing the new BDU's and may approve the design.  When that happens they will have a phase out date for the old BDU's.  Keep an eye on the news on www.af.mil for more info on the new uniforms

arajca

If you end up with USMC bdu bouses, see if the USMS logo can be covered with a patch (i.e. Comm or Safety). If so, make only those members who can wear those patches get those blouses. Otherwise, return the blouses.

abysmal

My Cadet uniform problems just got solved!!

Word has it that a LOAD of US Air Force BDUs just came into our local DRMO facility and we are heading down there with the CAP Van (less all of the seats) to load that sucker full up !! I guess we were able to place an advance order and they are pre-packing all of it for our pickup with the van.

The cadets should be in uniforms for years to come once our inventory has been replenished. And who knows, maybe we will get lucky and get some Blues items as well since the Wing DRMO liason is coming with us..

Schmidty06

You're NOT going to like what I'm about to say.  When you get this new load of BDUs, you need to devote a squadron night or some out of meeting time to sit down, empty out the boxes, inventory them, and throw out the ones that are unusable, ESPECIALLY since they came out of DRMO.  I suggest sorting them out by size and what not, and storing them in those big Rubbermade tubs.  Why?  Unless you have a unit supply cage/locker/etc, your spare uniforms will most likely end up being stored in somebody's basement or garage, and you don't want oil, gas, assorted auto liquids or a flooded basement to ruin your uniform supply.  Well worth the time and money to take the time to do this.  Also, they are most likely going to have all sorts of patches still attached to them, and some of them won't be usable once you take the patches off and put CAP ones on.  They'll either have some patch glue imbedded in them or simply fall apart when you try and take the patches off.

Good luck!

abysmal

Quote from: Schmidty06 on April 16, 2005, 05:13:35 AM
You're NOT going to like what I'm about to say.  When you get this new load of BDUs, you need to devote a squadron night or some out of meeting time to sit down, empty out the boxes, inventory them, and throw out the ones that are unusable, ESPECIALLY since they came out of DRMO.  I suggest sorting them out by size and what not, and storing them in those big Rubbermade tubs.  Why?  Unless you have a unit supply cage/locker/etc, your spare uniforms will most likely end up being stored in somebody's basement or garage, and you don't want oil, gas, assorted auto liquids or a flooded basement to ruin your uniform supply.  Well worth the time and money to take the time to do this.  Also, they are most likely going to have all sorts of patches still attached to them, and some of them won't be usable once you take the patches off and put CAP ones on.  They'll either have some patch glue imbedded in them or simply fall apart when you try and take the patches off.

Good luck!

Your right on target and that is just what we are planning on doing!
And right now we ARE using the big rubber tubs to house everything we own in the flight hanger where we "live".

Major_Chuck

You did coordinate through your State Director or DMRO Screening Officer?

Our local DRMO's will not allow anyone but those authorized by letter from CAP-USAF LO's office to even go to the DRMO.

Hate to see you show up and then be turned away.

-CC
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

abysmal

Quote from: Major_Chuck on April 16, 2005, 04:02:50 PM
You did coordinate through your State Director or DMRO Screening Officer?

Our local DRMO's will not allow anyone but those authorized by letter from CAP-USAF LO's office to even go to the DRMO.

Hate to see you show up and then be turned away.

-CC
Yes, we sure did.
Everything was done by the book..

Major_Chuck

Great!  I usually try to warn people about the coordination thing.  About ten years ago a wing was suspended from being able to access the DRMO because of CAP folks just showing up and trying to shop.  It took some time to smooth out the ruffled feathers so to speak.

Usually if we can jump through the hoops and play the DRMO game by their rules we don't have any problems.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

abysmal

Quote from: Major_Chuck on April 16, 2005, 08:13:06 PM
Great!  I usually try to warn people about the coordination thing.  About ten years ago a wing was suspended from being able to access the DRMO because of CAP folks just showing up and trying to shop.  It took some time to smooth out the ruffled feathers so to speak.

Usually if we can jump through the hoops and play the DRMO game by their rules we don't have any problems.

hehehe, Amazing how that works.
Make their life easy, and they will make your life easy as well!!

abysmal

FUNDRAISING...

Early on in this thread some of you suggested that I needed to get out there and start working on some FUNDRAISING.

Thought I would report back that we have had some GOOD success with that.
Have approached the local ROTARY club and they have given us preliminary approval for a $1,000 grant to be used for Cadet uniform components!!

That should solve 100% of our Cadet Uniform issues.!!

Major_Chuck

OUTSTANDING!

Now you need to treat them like they are your best friend and patron.  When you get your uniforms and your cadets outfitted you really need to do something special for them.  Cadets posting colors at one of their meetings, a certificate or plaque of appreciation.  Special recognition from your Wing or Squadron to them.  You never know, it might lead to more donations not only from them but their members as well.

Good Work!

-Chuck

Quote from: abysmal on May 05, 2005, 11:35:06 PM
FUNDRAISING...

Early on in this thread some of you suggested that I needed to get out there and start working on some FUNDRAISING.

Thought I would report back that we have had some GOOD success with that.
Have approached the local ROTARY club and they have given us preliminary approval for a $1,000 grant to be used for Cadet uniform components!!

That should solve 100% of our Cadet Uniform issues.!!
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

BillB

One way to get uniforms is to contact the nearest University that has an AFROTC program. At the end of each school year, many of their uniforms are surplus and returned to DRMO. But they are nornally willing to turn them over to CAP. I've found they would rather turn uniforms to CAP than return them to DRMO.I just picked up 2 boxes of BDUs, 1 very large box of boots, 2 boxes of belts, female tie-tabs, socks, and another box of shoes. Every so often Service coats are available. Only problem you'll find is many are large sizes.
In that case contact any high school that has a AFJROTC program. Here you'll get blues, shoes, flight caps (flight caps from university AFROTC are officer style for Senior members) blue windbreakers and belts.
I've found that very few uniforms from AFROTC or AFJROTC are unusable, in fact many look brand new.  It may, and I repeat may, be possible to get items for a color guard that may be surplus at either type ROTC unit.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

abysmal

Quote from: Major_Chuck on May 06, 2005, 02:40:38 AM
OUTSTANDING!

Now you need to treat them like they are your best friend and patron.  When you get your uniforms and your cadets outfitted you really need to do something special for them.  Cadets posting colors at one of their meetings, a certificate or plaque of appreciation.  Special recognition from your Wing or Squadron to them.  You never know, it might lead to more donations not only from them but their members as well.

Good Work!

-Chuck

Could not agree MORE with you on this.
And I let them know yesterday that we NEED to find a way to allow the Cadets to do something special for the Rotary Organization in return for their generosity!!

Hadn't thought about the plaque, but thats a great idea as well.

abysmal

Quote from: BillB on May 06, 2005, 02:48:58 AM
One way to get uniforms is to contact the nearest University that has an AFROTC program. At the end of each school year, many of their uniforms are surplus and returned to DRMO. But they are nornally willing to turn them over to CAP. I've found they would rather turn uniforms to CAP than return them to DRMO.I just picked up 2 boxes of BDUs, 1 very large box of boots, 2 boxes of belts, female tie-tabs, socks, and another box of shoes. Every so often Service coats are available. Only problem you'll find is many are large sizes.
In that case contact any high school that has a AFJROTC program. Here you'll get blues, shoes, flight caps (flight caps from university AFROTC are officer style for Senior members) blue windbreakers and belts.
I've found that very few uniforms from AFROTC or AFJROTC are unusable, in fact many look brand new.  It may, and I repeat may, be possible to get items for a color guard that may be surplus at either type ROTC unit.

Problem for us is that we are out here right smack in the middle of NO WHERE.
There is NO college or university with in a couple hundred miles of us.

Pylon

Congratulations, Chris!

That is an excellent start to your unit's fundraising efforts. 

First off, you mentioned that it will cover outfitting your current cadets properly.  Might I recommend then that, unless you have any other pressing, Cadet Programs related financial needs, you set aside the remaining money in a fund designed to acquire uniform components for your unit's members.   This will help you if and when you run into similar problems in the future with cadets not being able to purchase the needed uniform supplies.

Secondly, I agree with Major Chuck on this one.  You must certainly work out some sort of special recognition for this rotary club.  I liked the Major's ideas of posting the colors at one of their meetings and presenting a plaque.  A nice plaque with the CAP seal on it can be had from CAPMart or the Hock for reasonable prices - well worth it when you consider the amount of money you received (and opening up possibilities for future donations, as well).

Good luck and congrats on the grant!  Keep up your fundraising efforts, however, as a unit can always use more funding!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

dwb

Quote from: Pylon on February 19, 2005, 08:08:50 PMReminder:  Just a reminder, especially for those looking to help supply their cadets, all of your uniform purchases are tax-deductible because of CAP's status.  So if you donate $100 of your personal funds to buy some uniform stuff, that hundred bucks (with your order receipt, of course) is tax-deductible.  So are your dues, and other CAP-induced expenses.  See your tax advisor, if you have one.   8)

One little caveat, for all those cadets whose eyes just widened at the thought of getting more money in their tax return...

CAP expenses are only deductable if you choose to itemize your deductions.  That means filling out a 1040 with Schedule A.  If you're using 1040A, 1040EZ, or some other such thing, this does not apply.

Normally, you only itemize when you're a homeowner, because the amount you pay in mortgage interest and property taxes exceeds the standard deduction.

Edited to add: I could swear Kieloch had actually said what I quoted him as saying...

Edited again: never mind, I got confused and quoted an old post.  ::)

abysmal

Quote from: Pylon on May 06, 2005, 05:56:19 PM
Congratulations, Chris!

That is an excellent start to your unit's fundraising efforts. 

Now I suppose its time to go looking for "Matching Funds"...

abysmal

Follow Up...

The Rotary Club has informed us that we have been formally approved for the contribution and that we will get a check in 2 weeks time.

One of the Rotarians is a commercial electrician and he has offred to come out to our hanger at the airport where we meet  and install a set of flood lights so the cadets will have some light on the tarmac where we hold our opening and closing formations as well as do all of our drill. LIGHT at night, What a Concept!!

And another has offered to come into the hanger and put down a new Epoxy Floor!

These guys have turned into a GOLD MINE of support !!