The proper wear of CAP ribbons

Started by AlphaSigOU, September 30, 2007, 04:37:30 PM

PHall

Quote from: Timbo on January 09, 2009, 05:12:17 AM
^ Get rid of Cadet bling, and some Cadets would walk.  Cadets like that kind of stuff!

If all that's keeping them around is the bling, then I have no problem in seeing them go.

IceNine

:clap:

Get REAL.

Find me 1, just 1 cadet in the entire organization that would stay if you took away their ribbons. If those ribbons help us keep them then give them more. 

WHO CARES if a little piece of cloth help a 13 YOA kid  feel that cleaning up the meeting place, and parking cars for money, and all of the really crappy things that these cadets line up to do were appreciated.  If it takes an $0.85 piece of cloth, or a box of doughnuts, or whatever that's what I'll do.

And that's what we should all do.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Timbo

Quote from: PHall on January 09, 2009, 05:54:23 AM
If all that's keeping them around is the bling, then I have no problem in seeing them go.

Wow.  You must not work with Cadets.  Reward is a major part of the Cadet Program.  (It is amusing to watch someone discuss something they know nothing about) 

Quote from: IceNine on January 09, 2009, 06:08:27 AM

Get REAL.

Find me 1, just 1 cadet in the entire organization that would stay if you took away their ribbons. If those ribbons help us keep them then give them more. 

WHO CARES if a little piece of cloth help a 13 YOA kid  feel that cleaning up the meeting place, and parking cars for money, and all of the really crappy things that these cadets line up to do were appreciated.  If it takes an $0.85 piece of cloth, or a box of doughnuts, or whatever that's what I'll do.

I agree 100 percent.  If we are too go by PHall's attitude we should eliminate all awards for Seniors as well.  I bet after a year of being in a "no thanks" type of organization, we would see a fall in membership numbers. 

The awards and ribbons and bling are present to make all of us feel better about what we are doing.  It is our pay.  Some say "I feel good just helping my community", and they should but not showing our appreciation toward our fellow members is one way to find ourselves in desperate need of members. 

PHall

Get REAL.

Funny, way back in 1970 when they decided that when you got your Mitchell you had to take off all of your achievement ribbons, I don't recall losing many cadets.

I think you underestimate cadets.

Timbo

Quote from: PHall on January 09, 2009, 06:24:35 AM
Funny, way back in 1970 when they decided that when you got your Mitchell you had to take off all of your achievement ribbons, I don't recall losing many cadets.

hmmm.......not that way anymore is it?!?!  Yes for Seniors.....you don't wear all your earned Cadet Ribbons, but for the Cadets they get to wear all of them until they become a Senior, so your logic is flawed

PHall

Quote from: Timbo on January 09, 2009, 06:26:47 AM

hmmm.......not that way anymore is it?!?!  Yes for Seniors.....you don't wear all your earned Cadet Ribbons, but for the Cadets they get to wear all of them until they become a Senior, so your logic is flawed

No, got a new National Commander who reversed the previous Commander's ribbon reduction program.

But my point was that if cadets didn't know that they got a ribbon for each promotion they wouldn't miss it.

IceNine

Get REAL.

I underestimate nothing.  You are posting 2 seperate arguments.

Don't try to construe telling cadet officers that they only get to wear their Mitchell. 

With telling C/A1C Snuffy that he can't wear his Curry and Arnold. 

These are 2 entirely different arguments.  And the argument of 40 years ago when this happened is ridiculous too. 

Saying that the lives of cadets today is even in the same galaxy as life in the seventies is laughable at best. 
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

JayT

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

BuckeyeDEJ

When I was a cadet officer, I remember the occasional obligation to wear ribbons on my shirt. So I did...

The top three, that is. A unit citation, commander's commendation and an Earhart, all three with at least one clasp (this was pre-Eaker). Hey, I wore ribbons, like they wanted. I just didn't wear them all. I hated wearing ribbons on my shirt. Still do.

So why should this should be a great concern to cadets? Not sure. (They're probably more preoccupied with getting their own service caps and wearing them every chance they get....)

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

DBlair

According to this guide, SDF ribbons are allowed? Is this true?

I thought awards/ribbons had to be Federally-awarded in order for them to be worn on the CAP uniform.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

RiverAux

DBlair

Quote from: RiverAux on March 24, 2009, 12:10:39 AM
According to what guide? 

The guide posted in the original post of this thread.

PHall

Quote from: DBlair on March 24, 2009, 12:24:11 AM
According to what guide? 

You mean the guide that was prepared by a member that has absolutely no authority at all? (Sorry Chuck.)

DBlair

Quote from: PHall on March 24, 2009, 12:53:52 AM
Quote from: DBlair on March 24, 2009, 12:24:11 AM
According to what guide? 

You mean the guide that was prepared by a member that has absolutely no authority at all? (Sorry Chuck.)

Ahh, ok. I just scanned over it briefly and it appeared to look official so I mistakenly assumed it was an official CAP publication. (No offense to the author)

mc2

Question: Can a CAP cadet refuse to accept award, or would they violate the 'All or None" rule for ribbons?
M.C.V
C/2dLt, CAP
CAP GTL
GLR-WI-13

SarDragon

Why would you want to refuse to accept an award?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

exFlight Officer

Why would you refuse the award mc2 ?  I believe it depends on the sitaution.

Hawk200

Quote from: mc2 on October 18, 2009, 04:41:19 AMQuestion: Can a CAP cadet refuse to accept award, or would they violate the 'All or None" rule for ribbons?

It probably sounds better to "decline" an award, not refuse it.

If you decline an award, then you wouldn't officialy have it: so no, you wouldn't be violating the "all or none" rule.

mdickinson

Quote from: SarDragon on October 18, 2009, 06:00:28 AM
Why would you want to refuse to accept an award?

I'm no expert on military etiquette, but I wonder if it's proper to decline an award that someone is giving you. Perhaps a veteran on the board can comment.

Certainly most cadets wouldn't ever decline an award. A few different circumstances come to mind when a cadet might consider it, such as:

(note, I'm not defending any of these as logical or good reasons; just trying to imagine what he might be thinking)

1. The cadet feels the award is unjustified (e.g., a commander's commendation for just showing up at a 1-day activity or finding one ELT)
2. He feels that others (one or more buddies) were not recognized (e.g. he is getting an award as the flight commander, but his flight sergeant is not)
3. He is getting an award that his friends are not, and doesn't want to be accused of being a suck-up
4. He can't afford the cost of a new ribbon rack to hold all those awards! :-)