Preserving uniform history: Unit patches

Started by alamrcn, February 24, 2010, 01:53:13 AM

alamrcn

A few years ago, I posted some images of patches when I received new ones in for preservation. I thought I'd start doing that again, in an effort to share some of the most colorful parts of our organization's history.

Anyone else who would like to contribute images, information or possitive comment - PLEASE DO!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

alamrcn

OH-085
Columbus Senior Squadron
Version 1
Motto translation: "Fortune favors the prepared [sic]"

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

alamrcn

MT-012
Malmstrom AFB Cadet Squadron
Version 1

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

alamrcn

MN-063
Group Four Headquarters
Version 1, January 2010

Field
- Colored blue
- Representative of the United States Air Force.
- Same color as the field of the Minnesota Wing patch.

Borders
- Colored gold
- Represents the loyalty and pride of the members of the Group.

State Outline
- Colored red
- Symbolic of the Group's presence in a unified Wing from which it derives its existence.

State Background
- Colored gold
- Symbolic of the Groups commitment to the CAP core values of integrity, volunteer service, excellence, and respect.
- Also shares this color with the Minnesota Wing patch; a sign of continuity.

Compass Rose
- Represents the geographical location of the Group within the Wing with the prominent southern compass arrow. Also symbolizes the members' desire to go where needed.
- Color green symbolizes the adaptability of the members to the mission at hand.
- Color blue represents the members' devotion to completing the mission.

Spear
- Symbolic of the Group authority to act as the representative of the wing commander.
- Positioned to approximate the northern boundary and geographical location of the Group.

Triangle & Tri-prop Emblem
- Organizational emblem of the Civil Air Patrol.
- Colors are representative of pride in the United States of America.

Scroll and Text
- Colored white (background) and gold (text)
- Represents the honor of being the Auxiliary of the USAF.

The emblem was designed by Major Jeffrey Bartelt, Group Four Headquarters, and Major Andrew "Ace" Browning, Red Wing Composite Squadron. It was authorized as a wearable patch on January 10, 2010 by Minnesota Wing Commander, Colonel Thomas B Theis.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Major Carrales

I found one of our unit patches and will finally send you one.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

alamrcn

:clap: YAY!

I did loose all the images and information you sent me on a misplaced thumb drive. I'll have to make sure and get that stuff also, and put it on the website.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

alamrcn

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Strick

Looks good, I wish I could get my hands on one.....  Maybe the guy on ebay will make one :D
[darn]atio memoriae

SarDragon

Quote from: alamrcn on March 02, 2010, 07:05:37 PM
Rocky Mountain Region
unknown use

[image redacted]

Does that meet the requirements of the rules here?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AdAstra

Ref CAPR 900-2, para 6.

Is the prop-and-triangle used by itself an "organizational emblem"? It's not the CAP seal, it's not the CAP emblem.... Other uses always place the prop-and-triangle within a blue circle.
Charles Wiest

alamrcn

Westchester Squadron
New York Wing
(estimated to be from the early-50s)

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Eclipse

Sent to Wing this afternoon to be forwarded to NHQ as per the last National Board meeting.
(3 from every unit, have you sent yours yet?)

Ace, eat your heart out!     :D

"That Others May Zoom"

alamrcn

Bob... :'(  :'(
Weren't you going to help hook me up with the Lake in the Hills, Lake County and new Palwaukee patches?? PLEASE??? (I'm on my hands and knees, really)

National wants 3 patches now? That's very curious.

Here are two I just had the honor of preserving...

KY-216
Fort Campbell Composite Squadron
Version 1

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/KY/ky216a.jpg

KY-216
Fort Campbell Composite Squadron
Version 2

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/KY/ky216b.jpg

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Eclipse

Quote from: alamrcn on March 07, 2010, 06:52:08 PM
Bob... :'(  :'(
Weren't you going to help hook me up with the Lake in the Hills, Lake County and new Palwaukee patches?? PLEASE??? (I'm on my hands and knees, really)

National wants 3 patches now? That's very curious.

I'll see what I can do - as you know they aren't cheap.  LITH should not be an issue as they just reordered a bunch despite being told not to since it has to be redone.  This request from NHQ has put a pretty big dent in "extras", and in some cases members donated from their personal stash.

As to the 3 - yes, the request went from 1 to 3 each to be sent up through the respective Regions to NHQ.  If I hazard a guess I would imagine this is for the historian at each echelon and the museum (which I had already sent a patch to based on a direct request).

"That Others May Zoom"

alamrcn

Quote from: EclipseI'll see what I can do - as you know they aren't cheap.

Of course I'll cover you, and then some if needed. Always like supporting the units and people who are able to help me - a private collector - out! I am very appreciative for every oportunity I get to preserve these unique pieces of CAP history.

On 3 patches to National...
I am certainly all for the National Archives, as well as the Museum project... But are they not working together? It would seem to be a little bit redundant, but I suppose they have good reasoning. A number of Wing Commanders once authorizing a patch design, already request a copy of the finished product for their wing archives. I don't think the region-level has any need to maintain an archives that includes wing and squadron inclusions - Just their own unit history.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

James Shaw

If you have patches you need to send to NHQ they can be sent to me directly. That is where most of them will end up anyhow. PM for address.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Fubar

The opportunity to preserve my unit patch passed us by - nobody has any physical patches left and we don't have any sort of detailed drawing to give to a patch maker. There's been some talk that the effort required to re-create our patch is about the same as if we designed a brand new patch, so I've heard that's being considered.

Since nobody wears unit patches around here (heck, most don't wear anything but polos) I suspect this will remain low on the priority list. Unfortunate, but understandable.

alamrcn

Fubar -
Which unit is it for? A couple of us here may have some untapped resources to help you find it.

Jim -
Shoot me your address, as I do get inquiries from time to time. Also, have you yet been able to delve into Col Schell's patch and insignia book projects he was close to completing?

Another patch preserved over the weekend...

WA-015
Bellingham Composite Squadron
Version 1b
An earlier variation has "46015" under the propeller.
Mt Baker in the background is the largest mountain in the
area, and the golden eagle represents the Bellingham area.

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/WA/wa015b.jpg

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

RiverAux

I know that some units in my wing have gotten extremely frustrated at being asked to send in the same patche to NHQ multiple times (before the changeover to the current office holder). 

SarDragon

My unit used to get the same letter every year. That's because no one ever bothered to comply, since we had a design that was never produced until about 2 years ago.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

alamrcn

I should probably admit something here...

Former curator Colonel Bill Schell's somewhat form letter campaigns had a lot to do with the CAP Patches website. It became sort of a shopping list for patches that National didn't have copies of yet. Several squadrons received requests for a copy of a patch that might not have exsisted for many years, and in some cases one that current members new absolutely nothing about!

Or like in the case above, some computerized art found on the internets was assumed to also have a physical counterpart. After seeing the first couple of these letters - and I was forwarded several, I let Bill know that the part in his letter citing the rather new 39-1 requirement sounded a little demanding to some people.

--------------

Not a new patch, but one I was finally able to preserve after years of trying...

IL-075
Woodfield Composite Squadron
Version 1

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/IL/il075.jpg

The colors and symbols included in the design of the squadron patch each have a specific meaning:

Gold represents achievement at all levels by all members of the squadron.

Blue - Represents our affiliation with the United States Air Force and the unlimited expanse of open sky, the environment of aerospace activities.

Black - Represents the unknown and all the challenges that lie ahead for Civil Air Patrol members.

Bald Eagle - The national symbol of our country in the downward attack position, symbolizes the aggressive pursuit in fulfilling the three missions of Civil Air Patrol.

T-38 Talon - Represents aviation training in the Aerospace Program.

Three Gold Stars - Represent (in descending order) the three primary missions of Civil Air Patrol which are Emergency Services, Aerospace Education and Cadet Programs.

Woodfield Composite - Denotes the communities from which our members come, which comprise the geographical area known as the Greater Woodfield area.

Information provided by:
Captain S A Snyder
March 15, 2005

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

alamrcn

Some pieces preserved over the week...

Colorado Wing Search and Rescue School
Version 1

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/CO/cowgsars.jpg

IL-337
Lincoln-Way Composite Squadron
Version 1b

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/IL/il337b.jpg

MD-086
Wicomico Composite Squadron
Version 1

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/MD/md086.jpg

TX-085
Tyler Composite Squadron
Version 2, 2008

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/TX/tx085b.jpg

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Dracosbane

Ace, I know you need an updated patch for my unit.  The one you have is really old.  I'm possibly one of the few lucky ones that wasn't around when that patch was created to actually own one.

PM headed your way.

alamrcn

I was fortunate to be able to preserve copies of these patches this week...

CA-096
Diablo Composite Squadron 44

OH-070
Ross P Barrett Cadet Squadron 702
History: http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/OH/oh070.html

SC-099
Columbia Composite Squadron
c.2004

TX-131
131st Johnson County Composite Squadron

TX-262
Texoma Composite Squadron

I'm sorry that I can not provide a link to full size images of the patches anymore. I've recently had to remove them all from the CAP Patches website because of a patch countefiter copying them and selling the fakes on eBay. If you'ld like a copy of one of them, I'd be more than happy to e-mail one to you.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Chief2009

I just submitted a design to wing today, now the waiting begins...

Emblem
BLAZON
On a disc azure with a diminutive border sable, outstretched wings on base argent with the Civil Air Patrol emblem proper and outline of the state of Illinois on nombril point argent; three darts chiefly or. Attached above the disc: OFFICIO VOCANTE PARATI inscribed on a scroll argent with letters sable. Attached below the disc: ILLINOIS VALLEY IL-284 inscribed on a scroll argent with letters sable.

SIGNIFICANCE
The blue background represents the sky, the primary theater of operations for Civil Air Patrol. The silver up-swept wings represent swiftness and protection. The traditional CAP logo represents and honors the past members of CAP. The three chevrons represent the primary missions of Civil Air Patrol; Emergency Services, Aerospace Education and Cadet Programs. The yellow color refers to the excellence required of Civil Air Patrol personnel while executing these missions. The grey scrolls represent our willingness to serve our community. They also contain the name of our squadron, and our motto: Offiicio Vocante Parati, which means "Ready When Called". The black border represents the darkness of the night when we carry out most of our search and rescue missions as well as the determination of our members.
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

Shotgun

Quote from: Chief2009 on March 28, 2010, 11:14:51 PM
I just submitted a design to wing today, now the waiting begins...

Excellent Patch!   Very Well Done!  I appreciate the adherence to guidelines and the simplicity of the design.  Bravo!

alamrcn

Quote from: Man Of ActionI appreciate the adherence to guidelines and the simplicity of the design.

Heh, however not to Lt Nelson's decision alone.

Illinois Wing is one of a small group of wings that has made emblem design a part of their Wing rules.
http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/library/pub-ref/ilp1e_070628.pdf
The wings that have chosen to do this have used the 1980s established USAF guidelines as a base -- which I'm guessing you were referring to. This is a phenomena that started only within the last three years or so.

Based on ILWG's own self-imposed guidelines, I think the emblem above should pass the authorization process. And I hope it does so expeditiously!

GREAT WORK!
And I hope I will be allowed to donate some $$$ to the first order by purchasing a couple from the squadron  ;)

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

alamrcn

MN-063, Group Four Headquarters

Field
- Colored blue
- Representative of the United States Air Force.
- Same color as the field of the Minnesota Wing patch.

Borders
- Colored gold
- Represents the loyalty and pride of the members of the Group.

State Outline
- Colored red
- Symbolic of the Group's presence in a unified Wing from which it derives its existence.

State Background
- Colored gold
- Symbolic of the Groups commitment to the CAP core values of integrity, volunteer service, excellence, and respect.
- Also shares this color with the Minnesota Wing patch; a sign of continuity.

Compass Rose
- Represents the geographical location of the Group within the Wing with the prominent southern compass arrow. Also symbolizes the members' desire to go where needed.
- Color green symbolizes the adaptability of the members to the mission at hand.
- Color blue represents the members' devotion to completing the mission.

Spear
- Symbolic of the Group authority to act as the representative of the wing commander.
- Positioned to approximate the northern boundary and geographical location of the Group.

Triangle & Tri-prop Emblem
- Organizational emblem of the Civil Air Patrol.
- Colors are representative of pride in the United States of America.

Scroll and Text
- Colored white (background) and gold (text)
- Represents the honor of being the Auxiliary of the USAF.

The emblem was designed by Major Jeffrey Bartelt, Group Four Headquarters, and Major Andrew "Ace" Browning, Red Wing Composite Squadron. It was authorized as a wearable patch on January 10, 2010 by Minnesota Wing Commander, Colonel Thomas B Theis.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

alamrcn

I would add that the colors of the compass rose also identify the Ground Teams (green) and Air Crews (light blue) sections of our Emergency Services mission.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

a2capt

LOL, I'm looking at your list of received patches and then I see the signature line and think, wow, thats a heck of a unit patch!" ;-)

alamrcn

It's the super-secret CAP biker squadron! Wanna join TDY? Might be able to hook you up with one of our patches ;-)

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

alamrcn

12th Cadet Training Group - 2010 Minnesota Wing Encampment

A running theme of the Integrated Leadership Program (ILP) is the Upward Spiral. Cadets return to encampment each year, achieving higher and higher levels of development. The bottom and first arrow represents the encampment's basic students, and the beginning of their climb through the cadet program.

"Pride in Passion" is a theme that 12th CTG Commander, Cadet Lieutenant Colonel Billy Hoffman, is using to inspire cadets to always be passionate about the work they are doing. Red is the color of Passion. The four arrows in the ILP Upward Spiral signify the four phases within the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program. Yellow is the color of Excellence, and Gray is the color of Maturity.

The Minnesota National Guard Joint Force Headquarters is a joint Army and Air National Guard command headquartered in St Paul. JFHQ-MN provides personnel, intelligence, operations, logistics, and resource guidance and support to the Major Commands in the Minnesota National Guard. JFHQ-MN also coordinates military support at the request of the Governor in the event of a disaster and is capable of providing a joint command staff for federal military forces operating within the State of Minnesota.

The light blue and white shoulder sleeve insignia (SSI) of the JFHQ-MN stands behind the ILP Upward Spiral, representing our gratitude of the Camp Ripley training facility staff, and the Minnesota National Guard's support of the Cadet Encampment and Civil Air Patrol.

The Yellow outline of the State of Minnesota, as well as the Blue background of the shield, reflect the colors of the Minnesota Wing shoulder patch, and Minnesota Wing's support of the Cadet Encampment.

The emblem of the 12th Cadet Training Group was designed in April 2010 by Major Andrew "Ace" Browning of Red Wing Composite Squadron, at the request of the 2010 Cadet Encampment Commander, Captain Nash Pherson of Mankato Composite Squadron. The design was approved on May 5 by Captain Pherson's staff, and Major Janelle Gates, Director of Cadet Programs. It was authorized as a wearable patch on May 18 by Colonel Thomas B Theis, Minnesota Wing Commander.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

a2capt

Quote from: alamrcn on May 28, 2010, 11:16:54 PMIt's the super-secret CAP biker squadron! Wanna join TDY? Might be able to hook you up with one of our patches ;-)
Heh, you actually got those stitched too? .. thats cool if so .. .;)

RiverAux

Quote from: alamrcn on May 28, 2010, 11:22:42 PMThe emblem of the 12th Cadet Training Group was designed in April 2010 by Major Andrew "Ace" Browning of Red Wing Composite Squadron, at the request of the 2010 Cadet Encampment Commander, Captain Nash Pherson of Mankato Composite Squadron. The design was approved on May 5 by Captain Pherson's staff, and Major Janelle Gates, Director of Cadet Programs. It was authorized as a wearable patch on May 18 by Colonel Thomas B Theis, Minnesota Wing Commander.
How do you have a unit patch for a unit that isn't chartered? 

alamrcn

You're right, this isn't a unit patch as the thread's subject title states. My apologies, I was just consolidating posts.

It is an emblem for the annual wing encampment activity, at which the cadets belong to the 12th CTG - their "class" as it were. It will be used on their literature, t-shirts and a certificate and patch awarded at graduation.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

RiverAux

I've got no problem with an encampment patch, but from a CAP honors and lineage standpoint, I think the "12th Training Group" idea is not very good.  Someone following in your footsteps as a CAP patch collector is never going to figure that one out.