Main Menu

72 hour gear

Started by Color Guard Rifleman, October 16, 2018, 09:53:03 PM

Color Guard Rifleman

I am getting more into SAR and was wondering if anyone is selling their 72 hour gear.
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on October 16, 2018, 09:53:03 PM
I am getting more into SAR and was wondering if anyone is selling their 72 hour gear.

Walmart, Target, Amazon, Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, Dick's Sporting Goods, Ebay all have what you need.

Start at Walmart.  Much better to pick it out yourself, buy cheap until you know what you need and
what you like, and then invest in lifetime gear.

Do you have any rating today?  The 72-hour stuff is just base gear and for the most part just
"more of the same" to replenish the 24.

Unless you're doing NESA or similar, in most parts you wont' even need it (past the tasking), and even if you do you'll be
working from a CAP vehicle, so there's little need for expensive frame packs, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Eclipse on October 16, 2018, 10:14:48 PM
Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on October 16, 2018, 09:53:03 PM

Walmart, Target, Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, Dick's Sporting Goods, Ebay all have what you need.

Start at Walmart.  Much better to pick it out yourself.

Do you have any rating today?  The 72-hour stuff is just base gear and for the most part just
"more of the same" to replenish the 24.

Unless you're doing NESA or similar, in most parts you wont' even need it (past the tasking), and even if you do you'll be
working from a CAP vehicle, so there's little need for expensive frame packs, etc.

I am specifically looking for the backpack since they are usually expensive
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on October 16, 2018, 10:16:12 PM
I am specifically looking for the backpack since they are usually expensive

Well, that's the point, there are 153,000,000 hits for "backpack with frame" on Google, everything from
Good 'ol Alice, though very advanced softpacks with semi-rigid frames.

Prices range from Craigslist cheap through Everest 401K, so your best bet is to start shopping and see
what fits the gear, you, and your price range.

FWIW, my stuff hasn't been in a pack for 10+ years - it, along with ICP-base gear, has been in Pelican
or Harddigg cases as the likelihood of extended range missions that require you ruck in and out is near zero in a
CAP context outside training scenarios.

However if you intend to do personal backpacking / camping, etc., you should get something that is multi-use.
Yes, you need one for the tasking, but not necessarily for real mission work, so you could just as easily borrow one.

"That Others May Zoom"