White Aviator Shirt

Started by Ozzy, June 17, 2016, 02:46:46 PM

capmaj

I was recently in the Nellis AFB exchange and looked at the Army shirts. At the time, I was wearing a white aviator from The Pilot Store. There is a marked difference in the weight and weave of the material, with the Army shirt being heavier.

Hope this helps.

Ozzy

Quote from: capmaj on June 17, 2016, 07:40:46 PM
I was recently in the Nellis AFB exchange and looked at the Army shirts. At the time, I was wearing a white aviator from The Pilot Store. There is a marked difference in the weight and weave of the material, with the Army shirt being heavier.

Hope this helps.
The Army shirt (ASU shirt) is just the material I would love to wear. However they have the military creases in them and they are impossible to remove. Unfortunately.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: dwb on June 17, 2016, 07:39:43 PM
Quote from: Ozzy on June 17, 2016, 05:24:51 PMI like it. Have you compared the two in terms of material? Fabric weight says 4oz. for VH and 4.5oz. for the one you posted.
Both shirts are a little on the sheer side for my liking, but one is not noticeably so compared to the other. The cut of the Van Heusen is very generous, and I always felt like I was wearing a poncho tucked in to my pants.

That's why I use shirt stays with it.

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

Van Heusen's Aviator shirt is 65/35 poplin/cotton, which looks kind of translucent under some lighting. I'm partial to the pinpoint oxford shirts from The Pilot Shop, which has the same style flap pockets as the AF light blue shirt. And it doesn't have the eyelets for wings. A similar shirt from them does. The tops of the pocket flaps are secured with small, unobtrusive Velcro closures, Easy to press, takes starch very well.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DakRadz

Anyone thought of the Navy's Summer White service shirt? It's not too shabby to wear, had one as a cadet for a few years in NJROTC.

(I'm sure Dave will correct me if I got the name wrong)

Especially if you want a heavier weight. Just find the brand CDR Rabb used during JAG!

I'm actually considering getting this, though, especially since seniors can't wear AF style for fundraising. One more option in the toolbox.

1st Lt Raduenz

winterg

Navy whites have military creases, don't they?

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

DakRadz

http://www.uswings.com/product/us-navy-summer-white-service-shirt/

Not that I can see or remember. This is the same short sleeve I had as a cadet
(Doesn't work with a tie, meant to be open collar I think- had a plain white LS shirt for our dress coat)

ETA: Google shows that some do, some don't. Mostly officers and SNCO that had the creases though. I believe what I posted is a basic issue shirt.

1st Lt Raduenz

Майор Хаткевич

Nowhere to put the Grade slides?

DakRadz

Aaaaaaah... oops.
You'd be correct there, sir.

Never mind. I'll go look at that pilot store link now...

1st Lt Raduenz

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: DakRadz on August 12, 2016, 02:37:06 PM
Aaaaaaah... oops.
You'd be correct there, sir.

Never mind. I'll go look at that pilot store link now...

1st Lt Raduenz

First thing that popped into my mind after thinking about how small the pockets look.

Eclipse

Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on August 12, 2016, 02:25:07 PM
Nowhere to put the Grade slides?

These are fine - it's a long standing pretend tradition that I just made up that
officers don't wear grade insignia the Zeroth and 6th week of the month during leap years.

See FAKR 0U912 for details.

"That Others May Zoom"

LATORRECA

Ozzy, I will lean towards the flying cross shirt on the site previously provided. The material is similar or very like the one the Army use. The USMC use flying crosses for their uniforms. Not a bad product.  Hopefully it helps.

supertigerCH

Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on June 17, 2016, 03:40:11 PM
I have both, and prefer the square pocket type.

I also prefer the pocket types that resemble the air force shirt.  Although we are given a certain amount of freedom on this issue of aviator shirts (to make it easy on everyone, and to keep costs down)... it just seems to make sense to choose the shirt style that resembles CAP's partner service (the U.S. Air Force).

People have their own opinions on this though... which is fine.  As already stated... members have other aviator shirts that they are free to choose from as well.

grunt82abn

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 20, 2016, 08:16:50 PM
Van Heusen's Aviator shirt is 65/35 poplin/cotton, which looks kind of translucent under some lighting. I'm partial to the pinpoint oxford shirts from The Pilot Shop, which has the same style flap pockets as the AF light blue shirt. And it doesn't have the eyelets for wings. A similar shirt from them does. The tops of the pocket flaps are secured with small, unobtrusive Velcro closures, Easy to press, takes starch very well.

The last two Van Heusen's I have gotten have seemed this way, almost see through. I think I'll try the pinpoint oxfords, hopefully they are heavier!  :)
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: grunt82abn on August 13, 2016, 09:05:15 AM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 20, 2016, 08:16:50 PM

The last two Van Heusen's I have gotten have seemed this way, almost see through. I think I'll try the pinpoint oxfords, hopefully they are heavier!  :)

They are... no worries there!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040