Underarmer is it safe and allowed to wear?

Started by desert rat, February 19, 2007, 07:54:55 PM

desert rat

I heard the brand under armer thermal under wear is not safe and can melt to your skin if burned.   Is this an approved cap under garmet?

Al Sayre

Yes it's true that it can melt to your skin in a fire. 

Authorized, maybe, depends who is reading the regulation.  See CAPM 39-1 pg 63.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

shorning

Quote from: desert rat on February 19, 2007, 07:54:55 PM
I heard the brand under armer thermal under wear is not safe and can melt to your skin if burned.   Is this an approved cap under garmet?

What does the reg say?

MIKE

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 2-3.12 Undergarments(Undershirts)Brown or black. Either V-neck, U-neck, crew neck or athletic style
without pockets. Black or brown turtlenecks, dickeys, or thermal
undershirts without pockets may also be worn. EXCEPTION:
members may wear white thermal undershirts even if exposed at neck.
Unit commanders may prescribe color, unit designation, and cloth or
silk screen emblem, to be worn on left side of chest not to exceed 5
inches in diameter.

Emphasis added.

The presence of the UA logo subdued or otherwise could be considered unauthorized, depending on interpretation.
Mike Johnston

swya

in my squadron we aren't supposed to wear it because it is considered a safety hazard according to some military uniform handbook that a kid found at the bx, also it is considered an acceptable pt clothing article
ok so i just found this so i am modifying my post but this, even though it is on the marine might clear somethings up,
http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,93820,00.html
since we dont work in iraq and are not the marines we can wear under armor
c/a1c James Collins- age 13
nellis cadet squadron- nvo69
my myspace is www.myspace.com/swya

Al Sayre

Pretty big pronouncement there Cadet.  There are several valid reasons why you can't wear it; starting with the Unit Commander has to authorize it.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

swya

ok sure but im just saying there is no obvious reg just a few kids in my sqquadron doing as the marines do but anyways you're probly right, also to what mike said, the under armor logo on most under armor garments is unnoticible

DNall

It's not safe & should not be worn by aircrews!!! Otherwise it is fine by my interpretation. The logo thing, that's splitting hairs. The interpreation generally accepted in my wing is any CAP or AF related shirt that you can't see the printing with the blouse on & is not an embarassment if de-bloused. People wear ROTC shirts, unit shirts, activity shirts, just about anything within reason. I got no problem w/ underarmor, for PT or in the field. I'd personally prefer they not wear it at meetings just for uniformity sake, but I hadn't noticed that yet.

swya

thats right aiecrews might not be the best idea we probably shouldn't wear it for unifimitie's sake at all

Eclipse

If the colors match 39-1, I couldn't care less what the shirt is made of, though it should not have logos in plain view.

I have found these shirts to be very effective at doing exactly what they are designed to do, provide support and wick sweat in high-temp environments.

A legit point regarding it being flammable, but frankly probably is such a small issue as to not be worth the argument.

Yes, many of our aircrew people wear nomex, but a large number also wear nylon jackets, socks, gloves (or no gloves, etc). 

"That Others May Zoom"

Chris Jacobs

If it is so unsafe then why is the army making it the standard wear under their new ACU.  It might not be the exact same stuff that we buy off of the sporting good store shelf, but i think it is almost identical to under armor.  and an army infantry guy is more likely to run into fires than a cap cadet or CAP aircrewmen is.

But i would agree that it comes down to the unit comanders decision.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

MIKE

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on February 20, 2007, 01:14:51 AM
If it is so unsafe then why is the army making it the standard wear under their new ACU.

Read Me
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Keep in mind that the reg just applies to t-shirts and long underwear, not regular underwear....at least no one has ever checked to see if my underwear was brown or black....

I've been wearing underarmor underwear at the gym and when hot weather rolls around will be wearing it under by BDUs when I'm going to be in the field. 

brasda91

Yes, it is safe, for gt's.  Probably not the best choice if you're doing "O" flights.  If it meets the regulation color, nobody should say anything.  The logo will not come into play, unless you take your bdu top off.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

DNall

Quote from: MIKE on February 20, 2007, 01:23:02 AM
Quote from: Chris Jacobs on February 20, 2007, 01:14:51 AM
If it is so unsafe then why is the army making it the standard wear under their new ACU.
Read Me
AF is still in wear test & comments on a flame retardant undershirt for aircrews. supposedly some moisture wicking weave of nomex & some other crap that feels & looks just like cotton, machine washable, and does the job.

swya

that sounds cool, but how did you know that

DNall

ahh, cause it was posted on AFLink. You can go search, the article is still there.

A.Member

I don't understand the obsession here with fire/flame retardant material?  Ex. some members won't fly without Nomex - this is a requirement in some Wings, this post, etc.   Perhaps I'm imaging it but this regularly seems to come up in discussions here.  Are we regularly running through fires and I'm just not aware of it? 

Someone help out here.

My biggest gripe about Under Armour is it's cost.  IMO, there are other equal/better products on the market at a better price.  
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

The logos only seem to be an issue with brand-named articles where the whole cost of the shirt is in the silk-screened or embroidered 1/2-inch of white on the collar.

You can go to Wal-Mart any day of the week, pay 1/2-1/3 of the cost for the same garment and it won't have any logos on it at all.

Subtlety is also, apparently, a lost art. If the shirt is black, and the blouse is on, no one will care.

If the shirt is black, the blouse is off and it doesn't say "Timmy and the Lords of Darkness" on the back with a huge winged dragon, no one will care.

"That Others May Zoom"

swya

yeah that's true but what if they're wearing a marines shirt
also i love that episode of south park