Thinking of getting my pilot's license.

Started by esilassy, October 01, 2009, 02:06:03 AM

esilassy

Just like the title says,m I'm thinking of taking the plunge.  Now, being a senior member, I know there is not much CAP can do to help me, but does anyone have any good tips, ideas, etc?  I'm thinking of having an instructor take me up and see if I like it for real or not.  We don't have a CAP plan right now, or I'd buy some flight time for our pilot and have him take me up.  Thoughts??  Should I?  Can someone lend me some cash?  HEHE.

Nolan Teel

Obviously as a SM you cant do your initial flight training in a CAP Aircraft.  With that said, there's nothing wrong with having a CAP Pilot or CAP Instructor Take you up to do a Familiarization flight for your local area or maybe show you the ropes on the CAP Radios.  Just an Idea.  Where do you live?

arajca

Talk to the local CAP instructors. Some may be willing to cut you a break or work out a barter exchange.

Thrashed

FIND A GOOD INSTRUCTOR.  This will make a huge difference in training.  Find a plane that fits you and your wallet.  If you are 6'4" and 225lbs, don't expect to fly a C150.  On the other side, don't waste money on fancy aircraft for flight training.  You don't need a glass cockpit, you don't need GPS or HSI, you don't need lots of extra horsepower or turbocharging, you don't need a "new" plane.  If you do fit in a C150, use it (of course you should be under 6' and 185lbs).  It's a fine trainer and there is nothing cheaper.  I taught lots of people to fly in an old 1966 C150.  There is plenty of time after you get your private certificate to experience new planes and toys inside.  You can save about 50% off flight training by not using a brand new C172SP and flying an old C150/152 instead. Don't buy a bunch of crap from Sporty's pilot supplies.  You don't need a $1000 headset.  The $100 used one on ebay is just as good.  I have 13,000 hours and that's what I use. A $.99 clipboard from Staples works just as good as the $50 one from Sportys.  You get the idea.

Take a few demo flights.  You'll find out real quick if you like it or not.  If you decide to do it, don't stop, keep at it until you are done.  Shop around for prices and instructors.  If you don't like your instructor anytime during your training, replace him.  It's your money.  You're the boss.  Enjoy it and have fun.  Good luck.

Save the triangle thingy

flyguy06

^ agreed. Flying is oneof themost exhilerating experiences youvan have. Take a intro flight and see if you really like it andif it something you would like to do. Go up with a buddy in CAP. If youlie it go to your local airport and find a school. Good luck

Airrace

Mkake sure you know what the cost will be. I would sugest taking the ground school portion first. Some of the local colleges in your area may offer a class in aircraft ground school at a resonable price.

Thrashed

From my experience colleges, Jr. Colleges, and most flight schools over-charge for ground school.  You can get a DVD ground school new or used for much less.  Of course, if you cannot self-study, then go to a classroom style ground school.  You can pay $500 for this courses, or buy the whole ground school on DVD from Ebay for $99. Some schools, instructors, fellow students will load you their DVD's for free.

As for flight school costs, good luck with figuring out that.  You can get an estimate, but no one ever knows.  If they quote you for only 40 hours flying, walk away.  You won't do it in 40 hours.  Every one will learn at a different pace, but the national average is way over 40 hours. Make sure the school is not "hiding" costs. 

Save the triangle thingy

Trung Si Ma

If you are not an MS/MO, work on them.  All time spent in an aircraft helps you get comfortable with what is going on.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

DG

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on October 01, 2009, 03:44:25 PM
If you are not an MS/MO, work on them.  All time spent in an aircraft helps you get comfortable with what is going on.

Excellent advice!

MSgt Van

Fly as an observer. It was very helpful to me as a student pilot.

esilassy

Thank you for all the advice, definitely going to take some demo flights.  Trying to get my MS/MO certs, but we don't have a plane right now.......
Nolan, I'm from Pittsburgh, PA. 

FastAttack

I took a different path than most pilots take:

Learned to fly gliders first then transitioned to power.. all of my time in gliders counted towards my power rating.

in the end i think I spent around 4-5k in both my ratings.
Might seem like a lot but i did this in a period of 3 years.

also like someone suggested , get your scanner and observer ratings with cap.. this will hands on give you the necessary experience to become a pilot.
hell most of the observer sqtr is basic airplane groundschool ( well to a point that is)

DG

Quote from: esilassy on October 01, 2009, 10:13:50 PM
Thank you for all the advice, definitely going to take some demo flights.  Trying to get my MS/MO certs, but we don't have a plane right now.......
Nolan, I'm from Pittsburgh, PA.

You will have a plane(s), soon enough.

Flying Pig

I started in Gliders and gained 60 hrs in gliders that was applicable to my ratings for Total Time when I did my commercial.  After a few years, I did airplanes and later helicopters.  Gliders are great training for learning weather and learning how powerful air and wind can be even when its not moving!  Its great Emergency training.  In a glider, every landing is an emergency landing. ;D

FastAttack

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 02, 2009, 02:47:40 PM
I started in Gliders and gained 60 hrs in gliders that was applicable to my ratings for Total Time when I did my commercial.  After a few years, I did airplanes and later helicopters.  Gliders are great training for learning weather and learning how powerful air and wind can be even when its not moving!  Its great Emergency training.  In a glider, every landing is an emergency landing. ;D

I bet you rarely have a miss-approach ;)

esilassy

You know what they say, all takeoffs are voluntary.  All landings are mandatory.

PHall

Quote from: esilassy on October 03, 2009, 05:05:09 PM
You know what they say, all takeoffs are voluntary.  All landings are mandatory.

Until you attain escape velocity!

Nick

I know this has been touched on a little from various sources here, but to wrap it up into one easy answer ...

How much could I reasonably expect to budget from start to finish for single-engine private pilot, and then how much more for an instrument rating?  (Not even looking at CAP ratings yet, just getting the certificate)

I need an idea of what I'm looking at before I can even start into this pipe dream. :)
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Thrashed

It can really vary depending on the plane you choose, the instructor you choose and how much he charges, and how long it takes you to learn or how long you spread your training out over time. 

I'd say a minimum of $6000 for the private, but it's up to you.

Save the triangle thingy

flyguy06

The FAA says you need a minimum of 40 hours to get your private pilots certificate (its not a license) but the national average is 65 hours.

I would budget $6500 for the private. another $6000 for the instrument rating.

At the school I teach at the plane rents for $90 wet and 30. so multipy that times 65. then factor in the pre flight and post flight time with the instructor.