Ground Handling Video

Started by RiverAux, September 02, 2007, 06:36:42 PM

RiverAux

Has anyone else seen the CAP video on ground movement of CAP aircraft?  It is available in eservices through the multi-media download link on the left side of the page.

Seems okay, though I'm pretty sure none of the CAP members who starred in the video are going to win any Oscars for their acting. 

JC004

genejackson

:)  I know every person, cadet and senior in that video and they had an absolute BLAST making it.   N9983H, which was the C182 behind BG Anderson is the C182 sitting right now in my hangar her at KDAN.  MAJ Bailey who was the gent in the blue polo shirt who was "concerned" about the oil temp and leaving the airplane is my best friend and get this,  about 1 week after that video was show,  I was flying that exact airplane from BKT to DAN and the engine quit and I had to deadstick that airplane into CXE, a little airport in the middle of absolutely nowhere!  #4 cylinder blew apart.   We just got the airplane back into general service last week after the repair and new cylinder breakin.
Gene Jackson
COL (R) US Army
Danville VA

♠SARKID♠

You jinxed it!  :)

smj58501

Quote from: genejackson on September 02, 2007, 10:11:37 PM
#4 cylinder blew apart.   

Out of curiosity, was this a G1000-equipped C182? We had a similar incident with ours back in July. The cylinder didn't blow apart, but it was discovered it was about to during a 100 hr inspection immediately occuring after a return flt from CO (we were delivering a blood sample for our State Vets Office). I am thankful it didn't of course... two of our members were flying over the Black Hills area of SD on a pitch dark evening. Sorta hard to find a place to put down in those conditions.

I am curious because I have "heard" other new G1000's may have had this problem. Yours is the fist I can pin to a tail number and a name. I am concerned if this might be a trend that Cessna/ NHQ's needs to follow up on.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

genejackson

Sean,
No -this was a 1985 C182-R model.  Engine had 909 hrs TSMOH and 92 hrs STOH when the cylinder cracked.  We were going thru 1.5 qts of oil per 1 flight hour when National sent me 6 new jugs to install for a top overhaul.  We did a very careful breakin of the new cylinders and put the airplane back into service.   
Gene
Gene Jackson
COL (R) US Army
Danville VA

♠SARKID♠

smj58501

Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

RiverAux

Looks like this video is back as a requirement for aircrew members, flightline, and air ops staff, and some others.  Also has a test. 

I liked this, which was an option on one of the test questions (I'm not saying whether it was the right choice or not):

QuoteFlying body parts and/or clouds of red

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: RiverAux on April 09, 2009, 02:55:24 AM
Looks like this video is back as a requirement for aircrew members, flightline, and air ops staff, and some others.  Also has a test. 

I liked this, which was an option on one of the test questions (I'm not saying whether it was the right choice or not):

QuoteFlying body parts and/or clouds of red

I laughed pretty hard when I read that.

gistek

It's even funnier when you see it in the context of the question. (Which I will NOT reveal.)

Climbnsink

Was that quiz automatically recorded in my 'permanent CAP record' or do I need to print out the certificate?  I was logged in watched the video-seen it before at meetings, then passed the test and skipped the print option.   

SilverEagle2

Auto logged. Look under training on your member record.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Climbnsink

flyguy06

This is going to be another requirement that is going to make it hardon my members. Its hard enough getting them to do level one and OPSEC. now I have to pursuade them to watch yet another video.

EMT-83

^ Not as hard as that red cloud. Just sayin'...

Eclipse

Why do these videos stress taking time and care, and then show our people running out to the flight line?

Running on a flight line is an excellent way to become that red cloud on the ground.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

^ Wasn't that in the opening sequence where they showed everything being done incorrectly? Pushing on control surfaces, pulling on the prop, hitting the building, etc.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: RiverAux on September 02, 2007, 06:36:42 PM
Has anyone else seen the CAP video on ground movement of CAP aircraft?  It is available in eservices through the multi-media download link on the left side of the page.

Seems okay, though I'm pretty sure none of the CAP members who starred in the video are going to win any Oscars for their acting. 

I can't find it on the national website could somone advise where it is~~!!!
Thanks
RM

RiverAux

Can't give a direct link to something behind the password area on e-services.  Sign in to eservices and go to the multi-media link on the left side of the page and its there. 

es_g0d

Didn't this video come out like 5 years ago?  I'm surprised that its only now becoming mandatory training.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Eclipse

Quote from: es_g0d on April 11, 2009, 06:56:36 PM
Didn't this video come out like 5 years ago?  I'm surprised that its only now becoming mandatory training.

It came out a few years ago, but I had assumed it was re-edited for this round.

There's been a lot of hanger rash in the Sentinel in the last year.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I think some of it looks different than what they put out in 2007, but couldn't say for certain. 

Lancer

It appears this 'testing system' has yet to be fully implemented. Nowhere can the grading key be found, you can't take the test online. There are only 10 questions on the test, so what is considered a passing score?

The instructions also mention a 'Training Course's Test', that is also nowhere to be seen. Am I missing something somewhere? The only options I had were to watch the video at Dial Up, Broadband Speed or download the video and download the test.

PHall

Quote from: Lancer on April 11, 2009, 08:04:12 PM
It appears this 'testing system' has yet to be fully implemented. Nowhere can the grading key be found, you can't take the test online. There are only 10 questions on the test, so what is considered a passing score?

The instructions also mention a 'Training Course's Test', that is also nowhere to be seen. Am I missing something somewhere? The only options I had were to watch the video at Dial Up, Broadband Speed or download the video and download the test.

It worked okay for me. 10 questions on the test and I think passing is 70%. And the questions aren't that hard either.
I took the test "cold turkey" and got a 90% and I never viewed the video.

And there is no grading key, the system scores your test and will tell you which question(s) you missed along with the correct answer.

It's pretty much the same on-line testing system they use for everything else.

Lancer

Quote from: PHall on April 11, 2009, 08:15:16 PM
It worked okay for me. 10 questions on the test and I think passing is 70%. And the questions aren't that hard either.
I took the test "cold turkey" and got a 90% and I never viewed the video.

So you were able to take test online? Interesting... There must be a WSA permission somewhere I must have to 'flip the bit' on.

Going to look.

RiverAux

ascorbate

Quote from: PHall on April 11, 2009, 08:15:16 PM
It worked okay for me. 10 questions on the test and I think passing is 70%.

It worked for me too... I even printed out a completion certificate at the end.
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

EMT-83

Quote from: Lancer on April 11, 2009, 08:17:25 PM
So you were able to take test online? Interesting... There must be a WSA permission somewhere I must have to 'flip the bit' on.

Going to look.

I believe there's an ActiveX pop-up that you need to click in order to view the video and take the test.

es_g0d

I was surprised to see that, after passing the course, it is not included in the Operations Validation Tool.
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Lancer

Ok, I see what I wasn't doing. You must view the streamed video in order to get the online test option, if you just download the video and test, you don't get those options. Bad setup; the option to take the test should be in the left side menu.

RiverAux

Would sort of defeat the purpose if you can entirely skip the video.  Sure, there are some specific facts that they put in the test, but I don't think that the test is the primary reason for the video to exist.

Lancer

Quote from: RiverAux on April 12, 2009, 12:43:48 AM
Would sort of defeat the purpose if you can entirely skip the video.  Sure, there are some specific facts that they put in the test, but I don't think that the test is the primary reason for the video to exist.

Right, but the system is self defeating with the way the options are made available. If you are going to give people the option to download the video, then it should take you to a page to do so and then include the link to take the online test. You get the option to download the test, but who grades it? Who has the answer key for manual scoring? They tell you (if you are a squadron commander, safety officer, etc.) that you can enter the information manually, but it's little hard to do so if you can't score the test.

es_g0d

We will be viewing this at our local squadron(s) at the earliest convenience.  Members will take the test on their own, or perhaps we'll do a mass-entry (haven't figured that one out yet, but there's instructions for it).

That way we'll ensure (most) members actually view the video and don't simply take the test.  Even better, hopefully it will stimulate some discussion on how we can do things better.  Truly, it'll be an easy 1/2 hour activity.

Anyone figure out how to get it on the Validation Tool?
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

gistek

https://www.capnhq.gov/news/CAP_CC_Ground_Handling_Video_Letter_Mar_09.pdf

2. ... A downloadable version is also available on eServices so units can conduct the training during squadron meetings. Commanders, safety officers, operations officers, and emergency services officers who hold these duty positions in eServices will automatically receive permissions so they are able to record group training in Operations Qualifications just like they can do for other required training. Unit reports for completion of this training are also available in Operations Qualifications.

davidsinn

Quote from: gistek on April 12, 2009, 02:35:36 PM
https://www.capnhq.gov/news/CAP_CC_Ground_Handling_Video_Letter_Mar_09.pdf

2. ... A downloadable version is also available on eServices so units can conduct the training during squadron meetings. Commanders, safety officers, operations officers, and emergency services officers who hold these duty positions in eServices will automatically receive permissions so they are able to record group training in Operations Qualifications just like they can do for other required training. Unit reports for completion of this training are also available in Operations Qualifications.

The problem with that is that I have yet to find the answer key or the passing score required.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Lancer

Quote from: davidsinn on April 12, 2009, 04:45:28 PM
The problem with that is that I have yet to find the answer key or the passing score required.

Ding Ding Ding Ding....thank you!